Hi- we've been having a long discussion about the use of the ARC window in the new release of Dragonframe, - for, oooh, about 8 months now...

The thread got very lengthy, meandering, chatty- and well, warm and fuzzy, but perhaps a little LONG

So I thought I'd breath some life into it on the new board.

Most of those involved how now built some kind of motion control rig- pioneers include Jim, Mark, Doug and wrongboy- as well as myself.

here is the link to the original thread if anyone wants to head backwards- a lot of ground has been covered already.

my news is that i have some footage of current tests of the 3 axis rig I have built- like a cage to surround the sets on my next pieces.

https://vimeo.com/43962401

the rig seems fairly reliable so far, after a rebuild last month on the vertical section- in the test footage we struggle a while to find a cleaner slower track, until the steps per revolution setting was increased to 3200- although i'm sure we can get even cleaner moves yet out of it...

I am still using the original DFMoco sketch for Arduino, and wonder whether any of the other guys have any thoughts on differences between the two?

I also think the curves used during these early test moves could have been designed better themselves- too many keyframes for each seperate axis i suspect...obviously 3 axis moves are going to be a very rare occurence anyway...

Anyway, the thread- it lives!

John

Views: 4905

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Will

it's LAC tonight at 7.30 in The Green Man , Fitzrovia- I think I'm going- pretty certain in fact.

No pressure- just thought I'd mention it.

John

Hi John,

I went! I could only stay an hour, and the talk was already on when I arrived and still going when I had to go...

I was in the green jacket- Martin said 'gosh hello' when I arrived ( I haven't been for a while) There was a John operating the camera, was that you or another John?

It was a good atmosphere and I'll definatly go again when it's back in September.

Re. getting a good live view with Arc- resizing the window is still a bit pokey. I tried the Auxilary Monitor #2 view, but it didn't refresh except when I was in the Animation window. Having said that I was still working things out so I might give that another go.

I did a real world test shot and still haven't got smooth movement from my Pan Head. Does anyone know- Is there always going to be a problem with a Phidget's geared motor hanging upside down or can I do something to fix it?

Also, what's the most probable cause of hot motors? do long wires from motor to BED have an effect?

Hi Will

i think we just missed each other- Me and Angel (dop) arrived late- about 8.30ish- I don't recall a green jacket so I suspect we crossed paths!

Aw! What a shame!

On the hot motors, I find that having the BED's too high gets them hot quickly- so hot in fact, we've frequently turned everything off and let them cool a while before trying again with the bed fine tuned to accept 'just' enough power- I have quite long looms of wire on the 3 axis cage, so I don't think this could be a significant factor? please speak up folks, if you know different.

The BED's are tuned down to send 'just' enough power, then the heating problem with the motors seems prevented. This seems also to be the region where the motors themselves start to 'whistle'.

I dont know about your panning head problem- we are still trying to sort this out too. the BED for the panning head seemed to need replacing, so I am waiting for a new one-

It is still the plan to add a simple pan to the three axis cage.

At the same time, we've built another track- 1.75m- and are waiting on the TB3 panning head system to land from emotionco- seems to be in this country, so I hope it will arrive soon-

Obviously when we get the TB3 running i'll post examples and feedback too.

The plan is that between a positionable single axis track with 2 axis panning head, and a 3 axis cage with single axis panning head, we should be able to do most anything...I will post the newest 3 axis tests which were far smoother shortly. 

These were the only tests in which I entered any variables for the 'backlash compensation' values- i entered simply 1 in each field, but the results seemed to improve remarkably when i did- I am really not sure what the backlash compensation is doing, if anyone actually understands please explain!

I'm presuming the motors can be in some way over- enthusiastic- and that the move is monitored and corrected in some way- at least, that appears to be the result...

Anyway- a close miss Will!

Next time.

oooh exciting news- one less motor- particularly cool if we can find some sweet lenses that will automate for focus but stay stopped dowwn to avoid flicker- asking for too much?

probably- but then, 10 minutes ago, I did not think the focus control could work either- so happy days!-

even happier- my TB3 has just arrived from emotino- gonna try and set it up and try a few timelapses-

Meanwhile Penny, my partner and part of Skatedog, has just made it through to next audition level with Mike Leigh-  off topic, yes, but I have to share!

What an auspicious day!

a quick test

Attachments:
Hi Doug, sorry about the focus. The test I did was with Canon 600d with a standard Canon kit lens, at college. At home I have a custom motorised focus, like yours but not as nicely made, for my manual lenses and that suits fine.
I will try the belt drive next, thanks for the advice, also reassurance on the wires:)

Congrats to Penny, John.

Doug, that looks great!  Would it still be as smooth if you went frame by frame instead of all the passes being real time?

That rig is quite something Doug

Great design and quality of build, with a crane like action similar to the DragonFrame machine. 

envious.

Hey guys,

Got a kinda dumb question. I'm looking into building a rig with arduino, but I'm having trouble finding the sketch in Dragon. The site said it's included in the install but I'm having trouble trackin it down.

usin 2.3.3 btw

Hi Sam P. Im not in front of my computer, but i think on a mac it's in the application folder>Dragonframe>resources>moco >DFMoco? I'll have a look tomorrow.
Doug, That's really cool. such a good video. May I ask-where did you get your rack and pinion?
Sam, it's Applications>Dragonframe (it looks like a programme icon but it's actually a folder)>Resources>Arc Motion Control>DFMoco>DFMoco.pde

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

Tom Brierton's Kickstarter

A dragon teaches her child how to fly, but in doing so, realizes that her training will come at a price.

This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, November 13 2017 5:23 PM PST.

Welcome To My Daydream: A Documentary about Will Vinton

A documentary about the father of Claymation and creator of the California Raisins + more!

On Kickstarter Now. Deadline is November 09, 2017 7:00 PM PST.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}