Hello everyone, my local box store has the D3200 on clearance. What I'm wondering is, is it adequate for stop mo filming with Dragonframe? 

Here is the DF page on the D3200:

http://www.dragonframe.com/cameras/nikon_d3200.html

Or should I wait and save up for a beefier, more Dragonframe friendly camera?

Thanks for any help!

Dennis

Views: 1138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It will work with the live view function, which is very useful. Don't get too hung up on the body of the camera to start with. A more expensive camera won't make you a better photographer, but arguably a good set of lenses will. 

A lot of the folk on here opt for old manual lenses as they don't make an approximation of the aperture, so the exposure is the same each time and reduces flicker. I think Nick unscrews his lens slightly so it is permanently stopped down to a specific aperture. 

If you know stuff about lenses don't bother reading this, but with cheaper kit zoom lenses as you go through the zoom of the lens the available aperture becomes smaller, so you DOF will be deeper and your exposures will need to be longer. Prime lenses have a lovely big aperture so you can control your DOF nicely. a good quality 85mm lens will look nice for shooting characters. 

got carried away with lenses, and didn't really answer your question. One thing to take in to consideration is the sensor on the 3200 isn't full size so your focal lengths will be magnified by a factor of 1.6 (I think)

Thanks for the reply, Anthony. I had my eye on it back in mid-December when it was marked down to $349 (from$449) and now it's down to $200. I have been pouring over the posts here and the lens issue you mentioned is a biggy for sure. A good manual lens is definitely on the list of things to get.

A couple of things that I had talked about with fellow SMA forum member Steve Copeland was that the Dragonframe page for the D3200 mentioned that "focus control is not compatible with the D3200" and that "Nikon live view does not have live view exposure simulation."

I can no longer find where it says that the focus control is not compatible with the D3200. Are either of these features really important? I'm not looking for super HD Laika/Aardman levels of awesomeness, just something to get my feet wet with again. Considering the last time I did stop motion was with a video camera at art school that had the equivalent of 7 frames per second, anything is a giant step up, lol.

Thanks again for your advice, it's greatly appreciated! 

I find the focus control on DF to be a pain in the arse to be honest. If you are planning on using manual lenses this os something you will also lose. You'll be able to focus by hand a lot better. 

Aah! Good to know!

I think perhaps I should jump on it before it's gone. Don't see many Nikon digital SLR cameras with that kind of price tag on the shelf for very long!

Wish me luck, lol ;)

Floor display, saved an additional 10% !!!

I'd like to thank the members of this forum for inspiring me to get off my backside and take the plunge into stop motion animation again. 

Dennis

That really is a bargain!

I use old manual Nikon lenses with no electronics in them.  On a Nikon camera, I partly unscrew them so the aperture doesn't open up between shots.  On a Canon body, using the simple adapter does the same thing.  I focus by turning the ring on the camera lens, I don't need or want to do it in Dragonframe.  I set the aperture on the lens too.  

I actually like Nikon cameras better, but for animation I use the Canons for two reasons, both to do with live view.  

One is that the first live view Nikons would shut themselves off to prevent overheating when used for a long time, as you do in stop motion, but the Canons kept going.  I don't know if they still do that.  If it dies you can wait a while for it to cool, or point a fan at the camera.  Miles at Wombok Forest shot with a Nikon, and had a little computer cooling fan rigged up next to the camera, and that allowed it to keep on shooting all day.

The other is that Canons have a higher resolution live view, and the more you can see in Dragonframe or StopMotion Pro, the better it is for judging really small moves.  The live view on my Canon 7d is 1056 x 704 pixels.  The live view on the Nikon D3200 is 640 x 424.

But I animated with my first DSLR in 2004, a Nikon D70, which had no live view and needed a little security cam mounted to look through the viewfinder to see anything in a framegrabber, and I managed ok despite low resolution and poor image quality, so the Nikon live view is not that bad.  A much sharper and cleaner image than the spy cam gave me, that's for sure.

The D3200 page at the Dragonframe site:  http://www.dragonframe.com/cameras/nikon_d3200.html

The D3200 works with the latest version of DF but not the older ones.

Thanks for the advice! At the bargain price I got it for, I can live with "not top of the line". And to paraphrase what you said, it's a 1,000 times better than the camera I didn't have before, lol.

I'm feeling excited about the possibilities of creating something worthwhile again. The creative juices are flowing! 

Dennis

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Duane Petrie posted a discussion

*Emerges from underground covered in dust* *Blinks blindly at the sun* ..."Hello is anyone still here??"

Has it been 7 years already??Guys I don't know if y'all remember me, but I used to frequent this…See More
6 hours ago
BI updated their profile
yesterday
Gamerzone posted a blog post

This is the new ultimate goal of Ultimate Team

You will have the ability to set your minimum asking price on a bid, placing time limit that you…See More
yesterday
StopmoNick replied to Count Croc's discussion Making robotic characters.
"There are a few kits and toys available (like this Revel kit), don't know what size you want…"
Sunday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}