A couple of months ago I found out about a primer you can use on silicone that allows you to be able to use super glue on it, LOCTITE 770. Being able to glue silicone has always presented a problem and so I was really excited when I heard about this stuff...

Well I finally got around to ordering a bottle and I'm thrilled to report that it does exactly what it says. Today I glued Platsil Gel 10 to a section of brass tube and I also did a test gluing silicone to itself and it worked perfectly and instantly!

The 770 brushes or sprays on (I used a tiny brush because I just needed to bond a very small area) it evaporates off almost as quickly as you brush it on because it's a very strong solvent and then it's instantly ready to bond with super glue... and that's all there is to it. It's a beautiful thing.

Here's a link to the place I ordered it from...

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Commercial-Products/Loctite174;...

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron, thanks so much for sharing!  The answer to a vexing problem...

Jim Arthurs

No kidding! I ran into so many instances where I was completely frustrated not being able to glue things on the silicone puppets quickly. That's the main reason I was still weighing whether to cast in silicone or urethane for so long. But this stuff just took that whole dilemma and tossed it in the trash... it just works and I couldn't be happier!

thats Great,,I was in the dentist office awhile ago and he was using something as a primer so I need to find out what that was ,,probley similar because mentioned a solvant

I first found out about it from one of the guys over on the FXLab. I tried not to get my hopes up because it would have been a really big disappointment if it didn't work as well as was being claimed but, it sure does! 

Thanks for sharing. This opens up a lot more ideas that failed me before in the past. I can see great things from this tidbit.

I was watching a live broadcast of an animation sequence being shot tonight and right in the middle of it, a fingernail popped off the silicone puppet... THAT is exactly why this primer is important! With Loctite 770, fixing something like a popped off claw... no problem.  :)

I wonder if this is the same effect i use in painting my silicone. I basically give it a good scrub with naptha and it kind of "opens the pores" and takes better. I wonder if it breaks down some internal bonds and creates a more porus substrate. So maybe then the glue gets in like a sponge. So in reality the glue bonds to itself and the silicone is glued together because it formed this mesh inside of it.

What did you paint it with?

Thined down and strained silicone caulking with naptha or mineral spirits and tinted with oil based paints.

I talked a bit about this sort of painting HERE and another example HERE. Both links are to my photos here on this site.

Those look great! But we're working in two different sets of materials, I use platinum based silicone (Platsil Gel 10) and paint with either Psycho Paint or just more of the same Platisil Gel 10. I do also use Naptha for thinning the silicone paint but, I think it's only real function is as a thinner and will evaporate easily out of the silicone as it cures but, I don't think it helps bond it to the silicone being painted.

I've been told that if you use a lot of this Loctite stuff, it swells the silicone and I did notice a tiny bit of deformation when I painted it on the silicone that I bonded to the brass tube. So that's the indication that it's opening up the structure of the silicone and allowing the adhesive to 'bite' into it below the surface and create the bond.

I did wonder if applying it prior to painting might help the paint bond better but, I've never had any trouble with peeling paint on my puppets so, it's a case of "if it ain't broke - don't fix it".

My experience is that RTV-1 and tins cure just fine on already cured platinum based silicones, it just does not work the other way around. Also I do think doing a scrub down with naptha does help as it also breaks away surface impurities allowing better bonding of the tinted silicone about to be applied.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

KICKSTARTER / INDIEGOGO PROJECTS

MESSAGE BOARD QUICK LINKS

Message Board

Frame rate and shooting on 2s what to do/ help.

Started by Ben Tobin in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by Kit 6 hours ago. 16 Replies

Hi, I'm really new to stop motion and have been trying out various frame rates but am mostly sticking to 24p for no particular reason.  after my first couple of attempts I switched to shooting in/on twos (1photo for 2 frames) as I have read that a…Continue

Live Chat On AnimateClay.com Reminder

Started by Ron Cole in ANIMATOR TALK. Last reply by Ron Cole 16 hours ago. 211 Replies

Don't forget, on WEDNESDAYS (Thursdays on the first week of each month)  there's a…Continue

Nobby - The Dinosaur

Started by James Wilkinson in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by StampMotionStudio yesterday. 11 Replies

Hi Guys, Just wanted to share with you our latest stop mo project! Its far from perfect and has been sitting around on my computer for ages so we thought we'd just finish off the post production and release what we've done. Would love any…Continue

Tags: felt, foam, frame, tentacle, nobby

Need help with Macro and Wide Angle Lens

Started by Mastermind Films in CAMERA & STAGE. Last reply by Mastermind Films on Tuesday. 13 Replies

I made a discussion about camera equipment previously, and I still remember all the lessons I learned about cameras, lenses etc.I am just a bit confused with my lenses.  My grandpa gave me two lenses. (it's in the pictures) It came from a Nikon SLR.…Continue

Sculpture time lapse

Started by Wes Simpkins in NEWBIE CORNER on Tuesday. 0 Replies

http://youtu.be/2XfqNVt3QZEThis is a time lapse of the 2nd sculpture for the latest project. There's still detailing left which will be done by the end of the week!Continue

The Problem:

Started by Varg Ossian in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by Varg Ossian on Tuesday. 7 Replies

What to Practice? What to Focus on?Stop motion, is unique in that it requires a considerable amount of materials and skills in order to create... something... anything. So what specific aspects should I practice on in order to become good, or even…Continue

Photos

Loading…

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

© 2014   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}