Realistic water for stop motion animation with plasticine.

Hi everyone.
I'm currently in the pre production stage of a stop motion animation solely made out of plasticine and I wanted to ask you what material should I use for realistic water. I have to animate a river, waterfall, running water and water drops. Apart from the wallpaper paste is there something else I could use? Do you also have any brands to suggest as well?
Thank a lot!

Views: 1782

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Blue plasticine?

I'm pretty sure the only way you'll get a realistic waterfall is to blue screen one in - even cg guys have trouble with this.  Your best bet is stylising it, it'll look more interesting.  KY jelly is good for water drops. 

For a waterfall I'd definitely use an endless loop of plastic wrap and if it's a tall one then add some spray either in post or with cotton. I'd consider doing the same for the river too, then for drops use either hair gel thinned with water, wallpaper paste, glycerine (whatever that is, I've never been able to source any) or KY jelly. 

If the whole world is made out of plasticine, would you actually want realistic water?  Or should it be plasticine that suggests water, or something else that is still a stylised interpretation?

So, real water is one option.  I used footage of a real waterfall, compositing it onto my polystyrene rocky cliffs, for a couple of short promos.  But I have more realistic textures, it's not a plasticine world.

The waterfall footage had dark rock around it and I blacked the edges some more, and used it as a transparency map on a rectangle in Lightwave 3d so the dark areas became invisible and the bright water was visible.  Possibly some kind of luma key would work in After Effects or PS.

I also had a cgi "water" surface representing the ocean in the background.  CGI water effects are another option used is many films, like Aardman's Pirates.

But one practical in-camera effect for a waterfall that looks close to real is to pull cling film down the waterfall bed, a frame at a time, having it scrunch together as it goes through a slot that is narrower than the roll.  

For what its worth... here's an example of using digital hair emulation emitters to create a very stylized water look to be comp'd together with very "handmade" looking live action sets and costumes.

https://vimeo.com/1604032

( and its all in 3d too! )

You could use hair gel that has a blueish tint to it.  A cool trick could be to use lights shining through glass panels that reflect onto the gel, when you animate the panels it creates a moving reflection.  

Stephen - I like that stringy water in the Bjork video.  Had never seen it before.  Not clay, but equally not trying to look real, and with a flowing motion.  Nice bison too.

I'm cheap and low-tech, I covered my set table with two large mirrors and put crinkled plastic wrap over it. I would move/scrunch the plastic every few frames. The reflection of the sky made it sort of convincing?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Count Croc replied to Count Croc's discussion I need suggestions for my new film
"Well, as one of the comments reads, “How about Bobby No”. Jokes aside, I might muster…"
5 hours ago
Eric J. Nelson posted a video
6 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Tatu P's discussion All tender things
"Wow! That's looking lovely. Fantastic animation. One to look forward to! Glad I was able to be…"
6 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Count Croc's discussion I need suggestions for my new film
"What you need is this wonderful book: Ideas for the animated short , by Sullivan, Alexander, Mintz…"
6 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}