I am not familiar with making plaster moulds. However is there any simpler method? I was thinking maybe clay? Making the head out of clay, waiting till it dries then pushing it into plasticine and then applying latex.

Would this work?

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, you're talking about an air-dry clay? A friendly word of advice - on this site or any serious hobbyist site, you need to be fairly specific with terminology - a word like clay can mean so many different things. But from what you wrote it does become clear what you mean. 

That actually sounds like it might work pretty well. I'm not sure, I've never tried it myself, but I do know that latex will cure when spread on plasticene. In order to get your original clay sculpt out of the olasticene mold you'll need to slice the mold opendown the middle (or maybe into three or more pieces depending onthe sculpt's complexity) and sort of peel it apart - but that will actually make it easier to put latex on it - don't try to form ot back into the actual shape of the head, just peel it open and latex it up. Then make pieces of latex skin that you can glue onto the armature. See if you can get some flexible contact cement, which is great for gluing rubber to things (including itself). After opening up the plasticene mold I'd add a little rim of plasticene all the way around the edge of each piece so you'll get an extra little lip of latex skin - that will make it easy to slightly overlap the edges skin pieces on your armature and glue them together. Of course on any part that's going to overlap another you'll trim off the extra edge so all that shows on the surface is textured latex skin. 

Have you looked at any tutorials on how to sculpt textures like dinosaur skin? I'll see if I can dig some up. Also look at tuts on making plaster molds - it's not hard to do and is a very basic skill you'll use for just about everything in the future. 

Yeah air drying clay. Sorry

Angus, you might want to take a look at this - something very interesting I found in the Photos section: http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/photo/harpya-3?commentId=6519681...

Daniel Svensson made his molds from plasticene apparently. As soon as he said that I thought about this thread and had to post it here. 

Your main rule when casting/making moulds:

SOFT MODELS GO IN HARD MOULDS, HARD MODELS GET CAST WITH SOFT MOULDS

So if you want to cast latex: you go soft model, hard mould, soft cast.
If you want to cast something like resin: you go hard model, soft mould (silicone, plastacine, even sand works), hard cast.

Your suggestion may go alright, I don't know, but I would seriously disencourage making a model with paperclay and then the mould with plastacine. either make the model with sculpey and bake it, then do plastacine, or make the model out of plastacine/paper clay and cast in plaster.

Plaster is dead easy to cast with, and you can buy ready-mixed pots (or only need to add water) at most DIY stores. and it's el cheapo.

Also making a model with paperclay is a pain in the ass, and what I likely see to happen is that it will flake off into the plastacine when you try to pull it off - ruining your soft mould.

I made a similar mistake once the other way around: hard on hard

It took me two days to remove the sculpey out of 4 moulds and by that time the moulds were damaged and my hands were cut to pieces. I even slice the top of my thumb and cut my FOREHEAD as the knife broke and shot up (could have been my eye!!)

Anyways, TLDR; Don't do it. Get plaster. Make your life easy (it is the easiest method of casting a mould already).

I used to sculpt my heads in plasticine clay, and then coat the finished piece with several layers of liquid latex.  This creates a latex mold of the clay original. Remove the clay, and pour in mixed plaster. Just hold the mold upside down in your hand as the plaster hardens. I have used the bottom half of a milk carton with some sand in the bottom to hold the mold as well. When the plaster stars to harden, insert the neck wires into the wet plaster. Once the plaster hardens, gently peel off the latex mold. You now have a very detailed plaster head, ready to be attached to your armature. This method is of course best suited for a non speaking character, but the results look fantastic.

I don't really see how the the original solution is easier. I've been making 2-part plaster molds since high school, starting out with Plaster of Paris.  That was over 30 years ago before the internet, and if a dumb high school student in rural Indiana can handle it then anyone can.

Yeah, making plaster molds is a very basic skill that isn't hard to learn at all. I should have said that right off the bat. Stopmotion requires a great deal of problem solving and a set of skills - working with plaster is one of the simplest skills, and once you learn it there's a lot you can use it for. 

The only tricky part about making a plaster mould of a soft sculpture like plasticine is making the dividing wall to separate the two halves. You could start with a simple mask that has no back, just clay built up on a flat board, and make a one piece plaster mould. Then move up to a full head that needs a front and back piece.
With the plaster, put some water in a plastic container, pour some plaster powder in until it makes a mountain that stands above the surface of the water. Mix it - if it is too thin, add a little more plaster. If it is too thick, add a little water.
Have a few simple clay faces ready on a board, with a little wax, grease, or petroleum jelly on the board around the sculpt as a release agent, and pour or brush plaster on one face. If the plaster is too thick it might have trouble flowing into the details. If it's too thin it might fail to set. But there is quite a lot of leeway so it will probably work first time. But if not, adjust your mix next time, and you'll soon know what works best. That's how anyone learns, nothing like stuffing up a few times to make you an expert!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Alice Wong updated their profile
5 hours ago
Its Alive posted a blog post

Grad Film 2020

Hey so long time since posting, I'm currently back at uni doing my final year of animation and…See More
10 hours ago
Its Alive updated their profile
10 hours ago
Greyguy replied to Greyguy's discussion 8" armature for sale
"was going to leave the wire fingers of but maybe add a ball joint jawwell I can add them I suppose…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}