anyone have any recommendation for lighting stopmotion sets? ive used photography lighting sets in the past but had problems with fluctuation through frames.
cheers, 

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the best thing going (at least on the inexpensive end) are LED lights. They typically stay pretty steady so it shouldn't cause any flickering in your video.

When I first set up my studio at home, I had a flicker problem which was caused by the AC power fluctuating by a couple of volts.  I had been through all the settings on my DSLR that can use flicker in the camera, but this was the power in the wall going up and down as factories  a couple of blocks away turned machinery on and off.  So any light that would respond to a dimmer switch, like my halogens, was slowly getting brighter or dimmer as the voltage changed.  I used a multimeter to check this, and captured frames in Dragonframe with the meter in view, so I could see the voltage and brightness went together.  (I switched the 1200 watt oven in my studio on and off to make the power change for my test, rather than wait for it to happen.)  I had mostly halogens, and LEDs hadn't come in to general use yet, so I ended up spending a lot on a voltage regulator (a Double Conversion UPS) that smoothes the voltage out.

So a light that does not respond to a dimmer would be worth a try.  Some fluorescent lights seem to work, they stay the same unless the voltage drops a lot.  Others seem to drop a tiny bit, enough to show upon camera. I am able to use some of my fluoro tubes (which don't go through my voltage regulator, they are the regular ceiling lights) for soft ambient lighting, but not others.  (fluorescent lights have a rapid flicker of their own, so you need a slow exposure, like 1/2 sec or longer, to smooth that out.

LEDs that don't dim with a  regular dimmer would certainly be worth trying.  LEDs are pretty much the up to date lighting choice these days anyway.  I have been running a couple of them through my system along with halogens, so  there was no flicker - I would need to test them on unfiltered power to see if they have a steady brightness on their own or not.

Thanks for the replys, I start looking at some LEDs. 

LEDs are definitely the way to go. I have had problems with halogens causing flicker.

It is possible to use dimmable LEDs, but you have to watch out. The dimmers are Pulse Width Modulation dimmers, and they operate by switching the lights on and off, too fast for the eye to notice except to perceive less overall light. Unfortunately this can be a bit too slow for camera shutters. The way around this is to use 10k PWM dimmers. I have made up some light panels using strip LEDs and these dimmers, and have had no problems with flicker.

Also look out for high CRI LEDs. Colour Rendering Index goes downwards from perfection (100), which is what the human eye can see. A lot of cheap LEDs are about 60 or 70, and can give a colour cast on video. It is possible to buy high CRI LEDs (95+) and filmmakers are raving about them. There is a Crompton GU10 LED with 90 CRI that has a 15° beam, which might be very handy for a small spotlight. I am just about to buy some...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Thursday
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Wednesday
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Wednesday
Dave Cooley replied to Chris Johnson's discussion Halloween with Corky and Clay
"Looking good!"
Tuesday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}