For Photoshop rig removal I use a tiffs with a clean plate behind.  When I save, though, the file size balloons from an already very large 17 MB to an enormous 78 MB.  What am I missing?  How do those of you who work with tiffs keep them to a manageable size after photoshopping?

Maureen

Views: 471

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is it causing a problem of some kind? I've used massive uncompressed Tiffs - no idea how big exactly, I never bothered to check. But it didn't cause any problems for me, and once you've created your new movie file you can get rid of them if you want. If you're running out of storage space on your hard drive you might consider getting an external hard drive and move some stuff onto that to clear up space (sorry if you're already fully aware of this - at this point I have no idea what your knowledge level is). 

Thanks, Mike, for sharing your experience.  It's really a question of storage.  This is a long term project and my fear is running out room.  I'm also wondering if anybody uses psd files rather than tiffs and whether there is any disadvantage to using psd.

I clicked on your name, and I see you've been around here for a while - I like your film Bostle Sleench. 

What program do you use to turn the Tiffs into a movie file? I use QTPro, and I don't think it would work with photoshop files. Not sure though, I'd have to do a quick test to find out. I know quicktime will work with uncompressed Targas too, you might want to try that. I think that's what Nick normally uses, and I'm not sure but it seems like he said they're smaller than Tiffs. The main thing is you want to make sure you're using uncompressed image files, to keep them crisp and clean. So no jpegs or Gifs. There is something called a quicktime image, though I've never used it and I don't know if it's compressed or not, but that's another one you could experiment with. Just put together a really short sequence and turn it into a movie file and see how it looks, maybe watch it at 200% size or so to see if there are weird artifacts showing up around the edges of things or if it looks fuzzy or anything. 

Thanks for giving this some thought.  I generally leave frames in image sequence and do not render out a movie file from AfterEffects until I have a completed video.  My current project is going to be a bit longer, though, so I think I may be working with Premiere.  I think I will do a three shot sequence and take it through the workflow to see which formats work best.  I think that AfterEffects does allow you to render out in QT but I better see how it would work with psd files before I go whole hog.

If you have After Effects and Premiere then you probably have a lot more options than I do with Quicktime Pro. But it also means I can't be much help, since I know nothing about how they work. It sounds like a good plan to just render out a scene, but I think I'd just use a single shot - just a second or two. Oh, unless maybe the shots are really short, then maybe 3 would work better. Just keep it short and sweet - no need to put together something that will take much time to process. 

Wow, that's big!   Sounds like huge full resolution still images, plus having multiple layers as well, to get that kind of file size.

I don't usually save my frames with multiple layers, I do the wire removal or compositing and then flatten and save the fixed up image.  Mostly I save at 1920 x 1080 resolution, but sometimes I keep it in a larger size so I can save the wire removed version and still do some zooming in and panning.  But even then it isn't that big.  Sometimes I key out the greenscreen, then save the puppet images as 32 bit PNG files, with the background transparent.  Then I can place them on any background I like later, with the keying already done.  

If I'm doing it in After Effects (or my more usual TV PAint Animation), they load the whole image sequence, so I usually save it out as an uncompressed QT movie.  (and yes, AE can load the sequence of images.  If they are RAW you have to convert them, a window opens to do that, before they are opened in AE.)

I don't always shoot Large images, usually Medium, but I found one where I was going to do a lot of panning to follow a bird flying around the room.  It is 5184 x 3456 pixels.  It's file size within Photoshop is 51.3 MB - it's actually a Large Fine Jpeg, so smaller, 5.5 MB I think, but PS treats it as uncompressed to work on it.  

So I need to see what the file sizes actually are:

Saved as Tiff, no compression - file size 53.9 MB.

Saved as Tga, 24 bits per pixel -  file size 53.9 MB, exactly the same.

Saved as Targa, 1 layer, 32 bit to allow transparency - 71.8 MB  -  getting close to your figure.

Saved as PNG, 1 layer, 32 bit with transparency - only 17 MB.  (Must be compressed but you can't see it.)

Saved as 2 layer Photoshop Document, with transparency - 103.7 MB.  Whoah!

Well, I wouldn't usually do that.  If I had to stop half way through doing wire removal I might save the TV Paint Project, so I could re-open it later and finish the job, before saving the images as a single layer.

With an uncompressed image I don't thin it would matter whether it is super detailed, or one colour all over, each pixel has to be specified so the file size would be the same.  With compression it does make a difference.  

The image I used is fairly detailed -  here it is, scaled down to 1920 x 1280 and saved as a medium quality Jpeg so I can get it small enough to upload it.  It is an example of one where I removed the wire supporting the raven, but kept the image large for panning.

Oh, the white dot was to create a transparent spot, comes up white in a jpg.

Thank you so much, Nick.  I tried flattening the layers in both tif and psd files and that did the trick without requiring me to reduce the resolution.  I'm always hesitant to render out to QT files until the whole project is done.  So often on playing and replaying an image sequence in AE, I'll see something new that needs fixing in Photoshop.  I really appreciate your help. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jet Zhang posted discussions
20 hours ago
Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
Sunday
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Dec 4
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Dec 4

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}