I am making a stop motion film and am concerned about flicker. I have a Canon 1000D Ef-s- 55 kit and was hoping not to have to buy a Nikon manual lens and adapter. I am looking at buying either these or these lights and using the granite bay deflicker software. I also mean to have a practical LED light on set and have read that having mixed light sources makes it near impossible to eliminate flicker. If that is so, are there any good (and cheap) LED lights out there? I live in the UK if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Joe

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don Carlson said:

Great explanation there, Jim!

Keith- The CFL's I get at the grocery store are color-temperature rated. It's kind of curious why others aren't. I only go for the ones that are clearly labeled.

As far as CFL's being cooler- that's the reason! On Blue Alien Summer I had really soft puppets and it was a problem (mainly in the faces). But it's been a few years, and there are techniques I've learned to deal with even the softest clay. One way is spot-freezing it with compressed air held upside down, and another is to make the head actually removable using the cap from a ball point pen an some plumber's putty for registration so that you can carefully cut or peel off the entire mouth area, ball it up in your fingers, and re-sculpt the lip flaps with the same clay or another ball of the same amount. This will help to keep your puppet proportions "on model". Just make sure that if the inner mouth area is black, to have it extend all the way down to the chin if you intend to move the mouth down for comical effect.

Here's a test from yesterday using CFL's and displacement modeling on a replaceable head. The flicker at the beginning is a bumped light which still needs to be tacked down. I had reached for a ball of clay too close to the light's cord...A rookie mistake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFUy7yjTwBg&feature=plcp

Don, great job on the clay making those expressions! I am planning to make a stop motion video and use clay puppets. Your video gave me some ideas.

Cool, man! I have to write down some of these ideas because things are constantly getting upgraded in terms of technique as I improve and find new ways of doing things. But I'm always happy to inspire.

Here's a shot from my final class project. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FaA1K8BQCM&feature=plcp

Don, in the video 'Don C shot 1 final project', I noticed that you zoomed out for first half of the video. Did you move the camera back or use cropping in a video editor to make that effect? The video was good! 

That was post-cropping, in a video editor (Sony Vegas). Thanks, I really like that lip synch technique. It is a world of difference when you have to do a lot of dialog with clay and you can remove your character's head.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Puppet Putty

Puppet Putty is formulated by clay animator Don Carlson. Properties include colors that do not bleed on your hands, a matte finish, cleans up with water, is very light weight, firm, non-greasy and has a silky texture.

MESSAGE BOARD QUICK LINKS

Message Board

Shanks FX Practical/Stop-Motion Effects

Started by Roger Beck in GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

I thought that some folks here might be interested in this…http://www.moviemagicnow.com/There are some really cool practical effects that are covered.Here is an example video…Here is his…Continue

Tags: Shanks FX, Stop-Motion, Practical Effects

Rig removal with a camera move

Started by Christopher Olsen in STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS. Last reply by Christopher Olsen 1 hour ago. 10 Replies

Hey guys, what are everyone's thoughts/tips on rig removal in a moving camera shot? Example would be a pan or a tilt shot where the camera is continuously moving at the same time as the character is moving.Obviously the normal "take a static master…Continue

Tags: move, camera, removal, rig

Stop Motion Camera Slider Rig

Started by Christopher Olsen in ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT. Last reply by Christopher Olsen 1 hour ago. 8 Replies

Hey guys, thought I would share the stop motion camera rig I built for a film I'm working on right now.The rig is fairly simple in design, it's just two aluminum rails from IKEA that I bolted to two pieces of masonite laminated together for…Continue

The Woods Where We Played

Started by Christopher Olsen in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by Christopher Olsen 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Hey guys, I've been a REALLY long time lurker, since the old boards, but I rarely made the time to really dig in and post a lot. Instead I would just find the info I needed, use it shamelessly and rarely even take the time to say "Hey thanks, that…Continue

Camera Count

Started by Michael in CAMERA & STAGE. Last reply by StopmoNick 5 hours ago. 3 Replies

Hi to everybody, this is my first post here.I am looking to purchase a used Canon 40D to be used with Dragonframe.  I keep seeing people on ebay asking what is the camera count.  Since I would be using a frame grabber, is the count something I…Continue

Copy stand lights

Started by Jane Shadbolt in CAMERA & STAGE yesterday. 0 Replies

Hi All I'm setting up a small lab for an animation elective at the University of Newcastle with some copy stands for cut-out and drawn animation and I'm trying to get the lighting right.  I'd really like to go LED or fluorescent (because they last…Continue

Photos

Loading…

Events

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

Members

© 2014   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}