Are there any EOS models known for not being optimal for stop motion? (getting to hot or something like that)

And on the other hand, are there any of the models which are preferable?

Views: 850

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Canons are good about not overheating, Nikons on the other hand...unless they have worked it out in the last few years, but I wouldn't risk finding out the hard way. I guess it depends on how much you would like to spend on a Canon, you might want to look for a used one, or splurge on a 5dMIII, or perhaps the new mirrorless models may work well too. The 5d's are ' full frame ' [ 35mm sensor size ] most other models seem to be APS sized, which give you a 1.6 lens conversion factor [ something like a 50mm lens behaving more like an 80mm ]. T2,3,4,5i's are nice I guess. An older 40 or 50d is built tougher, but bigger and heavier. 60 and 70d's are overpriced in my opinion, 7d is really nice too.

Strider likes Panasonic GH series I think, the micro 4/3rds cameras.

Using vintage Nikon lenses on a Canon camera is a great method to avoid flickering images on playback, cheap Chinese adaptors are available on ebay.

Anyway, dig through the old posts, man, it's all here.

I have a 1000d and a T3i which are used for about 3 hours at a time most days, the T3i takes better shots. I use the vintage Nikon or Nikor lenses too with the Chinese adaptor. I would make sure you budget in for a decent power adaptor, I have had a couple of cheap ones which have caused loads of issues.

I’m considering buying the 600d/T3i. There are good prices on them here in Denmark right now.

By decent power adopter do you mean the original from Canon (ACK-E8)?

Not sure, I bought one from china for about £5 and the camera screen glitches out, I also have connection problems to the mac when I use the power adaptor. I get by with 2 batteries at the moment as I only shoot for 3 hours at a time. Maybe someone could link to an adaptor that works?

thanks

Paul

I use the original canon adapter for my t3i (same adapter as t2i)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-ACK-E8-Adapter-Kit-Rebel/dp/B0037NZ2MI/...

It pays to not get the knock off, it's not worth losing hours of work to save some dollars.  I debated on it because I didn't want to spend that much money, but I decided on the canon because I figure it saves on headaches and if I have to buy this item less times than it might even save on money in the long run.

So far I've used this for hours and hours of work, equal at least to a week of hours and I have had no issues with it.

I've used a Canon 40d for a few years, with Nikon and Olympus manual lenses, and that worked well. I now have a 7d, because the old 40d has developed some hot pixels and dirt on the sensor which was not able to be completely cleaned off. Still Ok for home projects but not good enough now for pro work, so the 7d will take over for that. The 7d was released 4 years ago so is an older model by now, possibly recently discontinued, and possibly reduced a bit in price. But it does all I want, and I know a friend used a 7d for a film with great results. Another animator I know shot their film with a 600d, and that worked fine as well. And we set up 2 cameras for a shoot in my studio for a monster film festival trailer, and the other animator brought a 60d which gave slightly nicer pictures than my 40d. So any of those are OK, and probably others as well.
Personally I'm happy with the smaller sensor and do not look for a full frame sensor model. I still find a manual Nikon 28mm lens gives me the wide shots I want most of the time, with a 24mm used only occasionally. I mostly use a Nikon macro 55mm for closeup shots, with an Olympus 25 to 70 zoom I had good for the occasional shot or for a second camera.

Thank you all for your comments and help :-)

I decided on the 600D. Starting with the kit lens, which in this case is the 18-55 STM edition.

I would avoid the kit lens for animating, due to its autofocus & autoexposure design. What you want is a manual lens (no auto anything) Nikon, or Olympus or other lens using the appropriate lens adapter for the lens (i.e. Nikon to Canon, or Olympus to Canon, etc).

You can usually buy the camera without a lens. That is what I did when I bought my Canon 60d.

The kit lens is fine for still photography of the family, pets, landscapes etc. Just don't use it for animating.
... jbd

I only pay a little extra for kit lens, and I have an older Canon (EOS 400) on which I can use the ef-s 18-55 if it wouldn’t work for stop motion.  But I will start with it for stop motion, and then latter buy a manual.

The 18-55 comes in different edition. The three editions are 18-55 III, 18-55 IS II and 18-55 IS STM. 

Is one of them to prefer for stop motion (even they are not optimal), or doesn’t it matter?

The problem is, the Canon lenses do not have an aperture ring on the lens.  It is controlled by the camera, and that means the lens has to be fully connected so all the electronic connections are working.   It also means the iris in the lens will open up between shots to give you a nice bright view, then stop down to the aperture you have set when you press the shutter.  This is normal for still cameras, but not so good for animation, because it may not always stop down all the way.

I think there is a work-around, where you set the aperture to the f-stop you want, then partly unscrew the lens to disable all the connections.  I haven't tried it on the Canon, so I'm not sure if I have it exactly right.

It is better to use older manual lenses from other makers that have the aperture ring and focussing ring on the lens.   With the adapter the camera has no control over focus and exposure, so they stay where you put them, and do not try to adjust all the time.

Can I use any manual lens with an aperture ring as long as there’s a lens adapter for an EOS body?

Yes. I think there is an adapter for Pentax as well - possibly the old screw thread mount. Search in eBay camera lenses for Canon EOS lens adapters and see what turns up.
As well as the Lenses made by Nikon and others, there are 3rd party lenses with Nikon, Olympus, or other mounts, that may be cheaper. I think I still have a Makinon 28mm for my old Olympus OM film camera that could also be used on my Canon EOS if I had not already bought a 28mm Nikon for my Nikon D70. I knew about the Nikon to Canon adapters because they were used for Corpse Bride, but I didn't know that other brands could also be used on Canon until a couple of years ago.

Fortunately, Canon mount their lenses further from the sensor than most other brands, so the thickness of the adapter puts the other brand of lens at just the right distance. If you were using an adapter on most other brands of camera the focus would change and you would be able to focus more closely, but not be able to focus on infinity.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
7 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Thursday
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Wednesday
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Wednesday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}