Hi all, 

I just received notice that the cost to run this website on the Ning platform will more than double next year from $239.90 to $588/year. There is no way I am going to pay that. This site is paid up until July 2017. After that, I may decide to do something completely different with this web address, however, I am open to your creative ideas. Not interested in donations to keep the site open. I don't want to reward Ning's price hike decision.

Things on the internet have changed a lot since 1999 when this site first opened. Now there are seemingly dozens of stop motion groups on Facebook. Do a search, it's kind of amazing. This site is pretty quiet and may be losing its relevance. Might be time for something completely different. 

If you want to read all about the price change drama, go here.

thanks,

Anthony

Note: as of 09/10, 3 alternatives have been proposed. Read thru all the posts or simply vote for your favorite option, or create your own, by taking the Poll located on the Sidebar.

Views: 1939

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Anthony, 

When I first started out on my Stop Motion journey, I used this site to educate myself and ask questions of the forum members who were all incredibly knowledgeable and gracious. Thanks to this, I went into making my first two films Zero and The Maker, with confidence and support.

Because those films did well, I get a lot of emails from new animators asking for advice and I send them all here, to meet and learn from the community.

It would be a real shame to lose this resource and I'd be happy to donate what I can to help you over the line, if you need the assistance. If you're happy to keep sacrificing your time to keep the community going, my vote is to move the site somewhere more affordable, but keep the integrity of what you have now!

Cheers

Chris.

If you want to create a Joomla clone of this site, I can host it for free. If for some reason I run out of storage it might cost extra. But it would definitely not cost 600 a year! For me to set it up requires one click on my host. The rest would be up to you.

I pay over 600 a year for all my web sites under one package and have room to spare. As long as you can provide the domain name and can have some people here help move and put things together it's yours.

Stopmotionanimation.com is really the best stop-motion community I've encountered. I'm probably not alone in not being particularly active on the site, but knowing its here, with a community of great people to help out when I face a problem or need advice, is of great comfort! And while I don't comment much, I do read the forum discussions and search past questions for answers to my own.

I understand the strain it must cause, personally and financially, to maintain the site, but you're doing a great service! Facebook is trash, most people I know only use it out of necessity to keep in touch with friends, its not a very good tool for anything else.

I'm not suggesting this for Ning, but have you ever considered setting up a patreon? If you haven't heard of it, its a thing where people can donate monthly, even small amounts, in order to support something they care about. I'm not saying you're a charity, but extra money can always be put to good use, it might even cover the site fees!

If there's something we, as the community that uses this site, can do to help out in any way, just ask! Those that can will come together to support you, even if you do decide to shut the site down.

Taking the opportunity to say THANK YOU to Anthony, Mike and every other animator who has been building and participating in this wonderful place.

If the decision is to say and pay, I'll kick in what I can. If the decision is to migrate, I'll follow. I don't use Face Book, so I'd be out in that case. But I haven't visited enough to be considered.

I love knowing this site is alive and ready as a phenomenal resource. 

Something will work out and it will be even better! Thanks for your support Christopher. I am happy this site has been helpful and thanks for sending others here.

Christopher Kezelos said:

Hey Anthony, 

When I first started out on my Stop Motion journey, I used this site to educate myself and ask questions of the forum members who were all incredibly knowledgeable and gracious. Thanks to this, I went into making my first two films Zero and The Maker, with confidence and support.

Because those films did well, I get a lot of emails from new animators asking for advice and I send them all here, to meet and learn from the community.

It would be a real shame to lose this resource and I'd be happy to donate what I can to help you over the line, if you need the assistance. If you're happy to keep sacrificing your time to keep the community going, my vote is to move the site somewhere more affordable, but keep the integrity of what you have now!

Cheers

Chris.

Hi Marc,

wow thanks for that offer. Super generous of you. I am not sure what a Joomla clone is though.

I archived the entire site today which is running close to 14GB of data. 10GB are photos: 7GB in the Photo section, 3GB embedded in Messages. Not sure how big the old site was at the end there. I have a backup somewhere.

Thinking about the Future…I don't think I'd want to clone this site. I think the Message Board has always been the best part. I would be happy if the new site went back to a Message Board with the ability to embed photos and videos. The old board had difficulty doing that, the Ning software makes it easy.

I just did a search on Bulletin Board software. Here's a link in case anyone wants to weigh in.

Marc Spess said:

If you want to create a Joomla clone of this site, I can host it for free. If for some reason I run out of storage it might cost extra. But it would definitely not cost 600 a year! For me to set it up requires one click on my host. The rest would be up to you.

I pay over 600 a year for all my web sites under one package and have room to spare. As long as you can provide the domain name and can have some people here help move and put things together it's yours.

Thanks Shelley, a solution is out there and will be sorted out eventually. For me, it's great hearing from so many people about what this site means to them. 

Shelley Noble said:

Taking the opportunity to say THANK YOU to Anthony, Mike and every other animator who has been building and participating in this wonderful place.

If the decision is to say and pay, I'll kick in what I can. If the decision is to migrate, I'll follow. I don't use Face Book, so I'd be out in that case. But I haven't visited enough to be considered.

I love knowing this site is alive and ready as a phenomenal resource. 

Thanks Monica,

yes it has been brought up to accept donations. I could easily do that if we needed to stay beyond July 2017. I just feel that it is very unjust of Ning to raise the price so dramatically. I really don't want to give them any more money if I can help it. Besides how long before the prices are raised again? The company was bought out awhile back and things have been slipping since then. TIme to get out and recreate something that is more independent and sustainable.

I agree Facebook would not be the best option. I threw it out there to see what people thought about it. It is very accessible but a terrible place if you want a searchable database.

Monica Broadley said:

Stopmotionanimation.com is really the best stop-motion community I've encountered. I'm probably not alone in not being particularly active on the site, but knowing its here, with a community of great people to help out when I face a problem or need advice, is of great comfort! And while I don't comment much, I do read the forum discussions and search past questions for answers to my own.

I understand the strain it must cause, personally and financially, to maintain the site, but you're doing a great service! Facebook is trash, most people I know only use it out of necessity to keep in touch with friends, its not a very good tool for anything else.

I'm not suggesting this for Ning, but have you ever considered setting up a patreon? If you haven't heard of it, its a thing where people can donate monthly, even small amounts, in order to support something they care about. I'm not saying you're a charity, but extra money can always be put to good use, it might even cover the site fees!

If there's something we, as the community that uses this site, can do to help out in any way, just ask! Those that can will come together to support you, even if you do decide to shut the site down.

Hi,
Sorry for replying so late. The Joomla idea would be perfect for the new SMA site. I worked with it several times and it is a very stable platform that can help you achieve almost the same format as current site or change it with a new flashy template in an instant.
For the archiving and copying , try using a site downloader. There are a few out there where you can actually create an offline working copy of any website you want.
I will try and test a few in the following days and come back with a review.
I would also want to offer my support for translating and recoding the website once you have decided which platform is to be used for the new site. A small contribution in exchange for the wealth of information i received from all of you.

Regards,
JD

Thanks for the offer to help. I have downloaded the content today so at least I have everything saved. It saves it as .json files (whatever that is) Do you have a Joomia site example I could look at?

Iulian Demetrescu said:

Hi,
Sorry for replying so late. The Joomla idea would be perfect for the new SMA site. I worked with it several times and it is a very stable platform that can help you achieve almost the same format as current site or change it with a new flashy template in an instant.
For the archiving and copying , try using a site downloader. There are a few out there where you can actually create an offline working copy of any website you want.
I will try and test a few in the following days and come back with a review.
I would also want to offer my support for translating and recoding the website once you have decided which platform is to be used for the new site. A small contribution in exchange for the wealth of information i received from all of you.

Regards,
JD
Hi,
Unfortunately I do not have any site on public network. However, animateclay.com, the site maintained by Mark Spess, is done in Joomla. And it looks very good.

Right, Marc did mention that he uses Joomla. Seems that there are some good options out there.

Not sure which direction to take the site next. I need to find out how much space the original site took up. This one is almost at 14gb. I need to delete some photos to get it down to the limit of 10gb to avoid extra charges.

About 8300 registered members btw.

Iulian Demetrescu said:

Hi,
Unfortunately I do not have any site on public network. However, animateclay.com, the site maintained by Mark Spess, is done in Joomla. And it looks very good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
Sunday
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Dec 4
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Dec 4
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Dec 3

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}