If you want to use a dslr without flicker, what is the best way to go about it?

I'm planning on buying my first DSLR (probably CANON or NIKON) but am worried about the\

flicker stories. So for a not technical guy, what is the easiest way to prevent flicker?

Use specifiec lenses, camera's or ... ?

Views: 450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What you need to do is disconnect the camera from the lenses, so they can't communicate electronically. When they do, the camera constantly re-adjusts the focus and exposure, meaning it changes each time you put your hands in front of the camera, and then changes back when you withdraw them - but not always to exactly the same setting. 

The most common method is to use a Canon EOS camera and Nikon lenses that can be used with adapters. The adapter doesn't let the camera and lens communicate electronically - which means you need to get lenses that have a manual (physical) focus ring and aperture ring - and unfortunately Canon lenses don't have an aperture ring - exposure is handled electronically by the camera. For this reason the best method is to use a Canon body with Nikon lenses. But be sure you're getting lenses that do allow manual focus and exposure - so stick with AI and AIS lenses. 

There's more info on this subject on this thread. The relevant info on using Nikon lenses with a Canon camera starts where I linked to, but there's probably more relevant info found throughout the thread. 

Another source of flicker (and very often overlooked) is the power going to your lighting. A number of the site members have had problems in this area. Some had to invest in various forms of power regulation to solve it.

Another often overlooked source of flicker is stray light bouncing off the animator (or the animator standing in different positions while animating), as well as other shinny reflective surfaces (hanging dark curtains etc helps).

Remember also that light bulbs change in intensity (and even color) as they age from use. The newer led and other lights draw less power and may produce less flicker due to slight power fluctuations. They are certainly nicer to work with as they don't get quite so hot.
...jbd

As already said - 

First step, don't use the Canon lenses, or any kit lens, but get some second hand manual lenses from another maker.  I use Nikon and Olympus OM mount lenses with adapters on my Canon 40d, and a film I worked on recently was using Pentax lenses with an adapter on a Canon 7d.

With a Nikon camera body and lenses, you partly unscrew the lens, so all electronic connections are disabled, also the lever that opens the iris between shots to give you a nice bright image in the viewfinder can't reach the tab on the back of the lens, so it stays stopped down all the time like a professional cine camera lens.  The opening and closing results in the lens sometimes not stopping down all the way in time, which gives you flicker.  With a Nikon lens on a Canon body, it stays stopped down.  It makes the view darker but it's worth it.

Next, check all the settings in the camera menus to remove any auto adjustments for white balance, exposure, focus, anything.

I am one of those who had to use a power conditioner to smooth out the voltage from my local electricity supply.  It was varying by one or two volts, and that was enough to make the lights get brighter and darker.  Another way around it would be to get lights that don't respond to small changes in voltage, like Fluorescent lights.  I wanted to use my collection of halogens so I opted for a double-conversion UPS from Eaton Powerware - it converts ac to dc, stores it in a battery, outputs it as DC and converts back to AC.  A couple of volts are lost but it is consistent and that fixed my flicker.  To test the mains voltage, I connected a multimeter to the power and put it in front of my camera and took single frames of it over a 10 minute period.  Sure enough, when the needle showed higher voltage, the shots were brighter.

But if you don't already have much lighting, look at compact fluoro lights.  Also, I recently had some LED downlights put in place of the halogen downlights in my ceiling, and the electrician said they couldn't be used with the type of dimmer I had  - so possibly some LEDs are also unaffected by small changes in voltage?  Not sure about that. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Randy Boyum replied to Randy Boyum's discussion Clay Ani-memes
Tuesday
ArchiCGI posted photos
Monday
StopmoNick replied to Jet Zhang's discussion Sculpture material of puppet hands
"Monster Clay is good for sculpting fine detail, and is sulphur free.  It seems to have more…"
Monday
Jet Zhang posted a discussion

Sculpture material of puppet hands

Hi,I am going to make silicon hands for my foam latex puppet. I am wondering which material I…See More
Jan 9

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}