Hi, everyone!

For my last B&S armature, I used brass, which worked fine, but I'd like to try working with steel on the next one.

I'd really like to start making smaller joints, generally, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a supplier for small flat bars of 1018.  1/8" x 1/4" seems to be the thinnest I can find (which would be fine for a ton of applications, but I'm looking to go smaller).  Would it even be a sensible material to use at a smaller size?  Is there something else I should be using?

I have a mediocre drill press and no milling machine, if that's helpful context.

Anyone know of any good resources about making small joints?

Thanks!

-Jon

EDIT:  Haha.  I just realized that I asked a similar question (with less specificity) almost exactly four years ago without remembering, but I'm still interested in the steel.

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, 

I'm working on a B&S armature using plastic bars and balls, its much easier to find materials

and also easier to work with

tell me if it can be useful.

@Samer Can you get enough stiffness in the joints with plastic? And what type of plastic have you used?

@Jonathan Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaR8A6QXeoI

Brass seems to be his material of choice even for the tiny armature.

I usually go to Bunnings (the Home Depo counterpart here in AU) and they have a range of square and flat steel bars in small lengths(1m). For the B&S i use 6x6 mm square bar, cut to fit the size i want and filed to the desired shape. I use also welding electrodes which are mild steel also and they have a comfortable 3.25 mm diameter, perfect for bones in armatures. You can find also 2mm electrodes if you make finer puppets and you can file a lot of detail onto them.

Hey Simon, in the model shown I used plastic from a broken router cover.

the joint is very good but it bends over time,and I had to use a nut with 3 mm screw.

I'm working now with fiberglass sheet ~2 mm thick , I think it will be more stable and still easy to work with. 

I'm going to thread the fiberglass joint bar at 3 mm to get rid of the nut.

Thanks, guys.  I ended purchasing the 1/4 x 1/8 bar that I found, but if it proves to be too large, I probably will just stick with brass.

McMaster Carr (mcmaster.com) is a fantastic source for materials and tools of various kinds. They can be a little pricey at times, but their selection of plastic and metal is pretty extensive. I get all of my 1018 and O1 steel as well as brass and plastic components from them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}