I have a perforated galvanized steel sheet animation stage and my puppet works well with screw tie downs but I want to use magnets because I'm planning on covering the steel with canvas so that I can paint it so that it resembles flooring inside an apartment and I don't want to have to keep drilling into the canvas and repairing it and I thought it would be quicker using magnets. These are the magnets I ordered and that arrived today: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Powerful-Grade-N42-1x1-Inch-Rare-Earth-N...

I tried the magnets out and they seemed way too powerful. I then wrapped some gaffers tape around them and that helped take some of the strength away. However, they still seemed hard to work with because I was struggling with the magnets forces. Using the magnets seemed awkward compared to the screw tie downs. Is there a way to prepare the magnets so that they are more directional and just attract the feet of the puppet and the steel sheet. What are the standard practices when using magnets as tie downs? Is there a particular magnet and strength of the magnet I should be looking for? I'm thinking about ordering a couple of these because they seem like they may work better with the aluminum housing surrounding the magnet but they are a bit expensive: https://www.animationsupplies.net/professional-magnetic-tie-down-sy...

Or these: https://www.animationsupplies.net/standard-magnetic-tie-down-system... 

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I visited Cosgrove Hall studios (in Manchester, UK), they used cylinder magnets about C or D battery size, with a threaded hole up the middle. Magnet strength drops off with distance, so what they did was put a screw up the middle.  To remove the magnet from under the puppet, they would turn the screw from below so it pushed up against the bottom of the set floor, and that pushed the magnet away.  Then it could be removed more easily, without shaking the set and flexing the steel mesh so much.   I think you do need the magnet to be very strong, to hold the weight of the puppet when it is off balance, like when walking.   I have no idea what the iron magnet would be like to drill and tap a thread into, or whether they did that or bought them with the hole already there.

But I don't use magnets, I prefer screw tie downs, so that is all second hand info.  Don't know why, but the animation supplies links are not responding at the moment so I can't check them out.

'Very powerful' would be an understatement if you are using a 1"x1" neodymium magnet. Depending on the weight of your final puppet you could start with 6x3mm and go up from there if it doesn't hold well enough. I think you can get 100 of them (the 6x3mm) for about 12 dollars. Even if they aren't big enough for what you need, and you have to get the next larger size, I think you will find many uses for them so they won't go to waste.

Be careful though if you have them around small children because they can be dangerous if they are swallowed. 

Thanks. I'll look into those suggestions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Youp Zondag replied to Youp Zondag's discussion Test shots for new short
"Hey Nick, I am starting animation today - so a comment like that really helped give me a boost.…"
2 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Youp Zondag's discussion Test shots for new short
"Characters are looking great!  Set looks good already.  It's similar how I used to…"
9 hours ago
Cacá Veirano updated their profile
yesterday
GameYan Studio posted a video

Angela - 3D Female Pirate Character Modeling and Rigging Cinematic CGI Animation ShowReel

Female Pirate Girl - 3D Character Modeling and Rigging Animation video -CGI Animated short film Giving attacking pose with Sword on ship. Get our Character M...
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}