On the plus side, it is not CGI.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnY2NjSjrg[/url]

It is hilarious. Or humorous. Is it worth the watch. I call it a ROBOT CHICKEN skit that got blown into a family-oriented feature film.

Hollywood is running out of ideas eh?

Views: 521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is CGI, they just decided to keep the movement limited to how lego actually moves.  

Huh? How could it be? I mean the flying was CGI.

And boy, when Hollywood can't find anything to remake or adapt to the screen. The hit the arcade or in this case, they go to the toy box. 

well it's not that surprising, they can make pretty good cg monsters, aliens and animals (check out "Rango" for nice cg texturing), a bit of plastic isn't going cause much trouble.  

It actually looks pretty good, I'm sure my kids will enjoy it and at the end of the day that's what its all about.

Hollywoods never really been about the ideas, it's big money business and the people who put up the money don't want risks they want returns.  It would have been nice if it had been stopmotion though.

mattosaurus said:

Huh? How could it be? I mean the flying was CGI.

And boy, when Hollywood can't find anything to remake or adapt to the screen. The hit the arcade or in this case, they go to the toy box. 

Yeah, the plastic looks a bit too shiny and reflective to be real. More hyperreal CGI intended to look just that much better than dull reality. 

There's a new trailer.  One site claims it's stop motion, but then some other places are calling it a 3D computer animated movie.  Would be cool if it was actually stop motion....

The problem is, the average audience is not fooled by flash and glam any longer. They want substance. Deliberately pumping out garbage entertainment is a great way to never advance the art form or make anything worth watching. These days, when a movie flops, it's usually because it pretty obviously isn't any good. Because of the internet, the average movie-going audience is getting smarter and they have less money to spend than a few years ago, so if they are going to see anything, they want to make sure it's really good.

Steve Boot said:

the people who put up the money don't want risks they want returns.

I could be wrong but I'm sticking with CG - an old mate of mine (who was a stopmotion animator but turned to the dark side) mentioned that he'd just moved to Sydney to work on the Lego movie.  I'd also heard rumblings from some guys I know who make the lego games about it.  I'd be surprised if it was stopmo.

Dieter Wagner said:

There's a new trailer.  One site claims it's stop motion, but then some other places are calling it a 3D computer animated movie.  Would be cool if it was actually stop motion....

maybe, substance is certainly going to help when it comes to the DVD sales, but there's a lot of clever marketing that goes on.  You ever read "save the cat", that's got some pretty interesting Hollywood truths.

prammaven said:

The problem is, the average audience is not fooled by flash and glam any longer. They want substance. Deliberately pumping out garbage entertainment is a great way to never advance the art form or make anything worth watching. These days, when a movie flops, it's usually because it pretty obviously isn't any good. Because of the internet, the average movie-going audience is getting smarter and they have less money to spend than a few years ago, so if they are going to see anything, they want to make sure it's really good.

Steve Boot said:

the people who put up the money don't want risks they want returns.

According to Wikipedia, it is CG.

Here is actually an article about the movie on the official Lego site...

http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/news-room/2013/june/the-lego-movie-te...

"The original 3D computer animated story"

Yep, CG.

Five ways I know of to make computer animation look more like stop-mo: 

1. No motion blur.
2. Render on two's or a mix of one's and two's.
3. No keyframes (animate frame by frame, straight ahead).
4. 3-point lighting (simulated, of course).
5.Consistent volume in the characters' bodies (no squash and stretch unless simulating clay).

I'm sure there are other things they're doing to get that look, but those are what jump out at me as being effective at "selling" it as stop motion.

One more -

6. Rendering a limited depth of field so it looks like it is shot in miniature.   Default for cgi is to have everything in focus, applying depth of field increases rendering times.

Is this one gigantic Lego commercial?  While I appreciate the challenge of making a film with the very limited palette of Lego figures, and it's accessibility for kids with no puppetmaking skills but a desire to make films, the look has always been the main downside for me.  Some brickfilmers do a surprisingly good job of telling a story, working within the limitations, and it would have to be great for learning about camera angles, editing, lighting, all of that stuff without getting hung up on puppetmaking or realistic sets.   But I just don't find Lego characters very interesting to look at.  I like the basic Lego bricks and mechanical parts like gears, that leave it to the kid's imagination to create things, but I never cared much for their human figures.   They are all squat and simple, and look pretty much alike except for colour differences and iconic props to identify them.  With a Lego film (real or faked) there is, by definition, no originality in the production design, because it needs to look like off-the-shelf toys.  So I don't quite get why you would do a big budget hollywood cgi film that looks like lego, when you could have it look like anything you want, unless it's to help sell the toys.  

Oh yeah, shallow DOF! Good catch, Nick.

This is a great LEGO stop motion! 

https://vimeo.com/18806252

:D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Youp Zondag's discussion Test shots for new short
"Good luck with your shoot! One thing I noticed, you had a fairly shallow depth of field in a couple…"
12 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Alonso Soriano's discussion Cosclay
"I watched a couple of videos, including this one:…"
13 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Alonso Soriano's discussion Cosclay
"I have seen a couple of flexible modelling materials before, and they were actually pretty firm.…"
14 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Ben Young's discussion Armature and Casting advice for movable animal ears
"Ox animation is full of life!  Kind of like an eager puppy, which I wasn't expecting with…"
15 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}