Hi All, This may not be the right forum to ask this question, but here we go. I am currently working on a stop motion animation web series. After 5 years of hard work, we are finally in production of season 1 which consists of 8 episodes that are 20 minutes each. We plan to release episode 1 this summer. We have obtained copyrights on all 8 scripts for season 1. Now here is my question. Do I need to copyright or trademark my images and puppets also? And if so, how would I go about doing that? For example, The Simpsons is set in Springfield which consists of a large cast of characters, all of which are a part of the Simpsons brand. I have a similar scenario in which I have a town, Center Square, and 79 puppets that will be on screen throughout the 8 episodes of season 1. So, since the scripts have a copyright, are the characters that appear in the scripts covered by said copyright? Or will I need to copyright each puppet? I have never dealt with the legalities of images before, only written word, so I want to make sure that we develop our brand in a way that can't be legally ripped off. I am sorry that I rambled on, I just want to cover my ass. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Views: 222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The best advice will come from a lawyer, obviously. Specifically one that specializes in copyright and trademark law. As an indie filmmaker, I usually register my scripts with the Writer's Guild and then the final film with the US Copyright office. The copyright for the final film covers everything in it, i.e. character design, set design, etc. When you copyright a film, you also have to opportunity to acknowledge if you are using licensed property like music, etc. It costs $30, and you upload the movie to their server. You would do this for each episode. It is simple and you have peace of mind.

That said, you should still consult a lawyer. ;)

Hi Dawn, can a foreigner also copyright a film in the US, because I'm from Holland and the rules slightly differ over here? Would be simple if I could registre it online!

Thank you for the advice, Dawn!

Hi Jowanneke,

Yes, you can, provided certain conditions are met. Here's the link to the US copyright rules.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

jowanneke said:

Hi Dawn, can a foreigner also copyright a film in the US, because I'm from Holland and the rules slightly differ over here? Would be simple if I could registre it online!

Best of luck with your web series, I look forward to checking it out! :)

Colleen McWatters said:

Thank you for the advice, Dawn!

Thanks Dawn, That helps me a lot!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jeremy Yoder posted a discussion

Willis O’Brien Recommendations

Hi everyone,I just watched “Mighty Joe Young” with my eight-year-old daughter who was totally INTO…See More
5 hours ago
Mark Francombe replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"Hi, It's been awhile since I posted. I've been busy though. I have scrapped the original…"
12 hours ago
Kevin Johnson posted a blog post

Issue While Writing Your Essay?

Are you struggling to write cohesive…See More
22 hours ago
Kit posted a discussion

Two StickyBones puppets going dirt cheap.

I mentioned these on another thread but thought they might merit their own titile:I have two new,…See More
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}