Hello everyone! I've been lurking on these boards for quite some time and I've finally finished my graduate thesis project so I would like to share it with you all. The Champ is my short stop motion film produced at Sheridan College about a little boy obsessed with professional wrestling who gets the birthday present of a lifetime. You can watch it  on vimeo here

I also kept a little production blog while I was working on it throughout the semester which some of you may be interested in I kept it to help me keep track of everything I was doing but to also act as a teaser for the book I was working on side by side with my short film 'The Making of The Champ' which goes in to high detail about every aspect of making this student film from armatures to the foam process to rig removal. And that is available on gumroad here

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I loved the film, it was a great showcase of talent, and example of a child's ability to find the most fun out of any situation! 

Totally dig it! 

Great work!  I checked out your production blog and would love to know more about the printable shrink plastic.  Is that covered in your PDF book?

I saw your puppets in some pictures from the sheridan industry day, so I was excited to see the short online today! It's a lot of fun, and the puppet design really stands out.

What were the big take-away lessons from finishing your first short? Are you planning on making more?

Thank you! Yep, it's covered in my book, but basically how the shrink plastic works is you print out the image on an inkjet printer and it will shrink to 1/3rd the size. So I measured how large I wanted the mouths to end up, sketched them out in photoshop, then sized them up by 300%, did the final versions of the mouths and then printed them out. I shrank them in the oven a few at a time, and when they were still hot I wrapped them around a glass to sort of warp them a bit so they'd curve to the face a little better. 

Dieter Wagner said:

Great work!  I checked out your production blog and would love to know more about the printable shrink plastic.  Is that covered in your PDF book?

Thank you so much! It was so much fun to make, I'm already planning out my next short! Probably the big take away lessons were to just really make sure to plan and test. I had a problem with the plastic head casts, so the fact that they have foam on them was actually a happy mistake that I really preferred in the end, and while I originally thought I'd only need one rigging point on the armatures, I definitely needed the two for better stability when doing the action scenes. I got lucky, but to prevent any future stress I will for sure test and plan a little longer than I did for this one! 

Evan DeRushie said:

I saw your puppets in some pictures from the sheridan industry day, so I was excited to see the short online today! It's a lot of fun, and the puppet design really stands out.

What were the big take-away lessons from finishing your first short? Are you planning on making more?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Benjamin Grare posted photos
1 minute ago
Benjamin Grare posted a video

Knights of Mandala - Kingless - OFFICIAL VIDEO

KINGLESS - Knights of Mandala, réalisation et animation par @Benjamin Grare. Titre présent sur l'EP KoM.2 disponible sur toutes les plateformes ► https://fan...
3 minutes ago
Youp Zondag posted a discussion

Sculpting faces

Hello everyone,For my thesis film last year, I used 3D printing to create the different faces…See More
1 hour ago
Roos Mattaar replied to Shakycow's discussion Stickybones - Any experience or recommendations?
"Hi, I haven't used stickybones myself, but my friend did a four week animation course where…"
4 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}