This is just too out there to not share ... jbd

http://www.videoedge.net/news/research-development/new-software-exp...

" The USC's Institute of Creative Technologies is developing software that will allow for easier creation of stop-motion virtual reality pieces. As The Creators Project explains, "In this new VR world, artists can simply drop animated models into a virtual environment. By rendering the models in real-time and capturing each in a ring of 360 images, the software maintains all of the characters' geometric details and surface properties." - See more at: http://www.videoedge.net/news/research-development/new-software-exp...   "

Comments everyone?

Views: 780

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The way it can choose the right angle out of 360 images in real time, for VR, is quite impressive - but probably of no particular use to me.  But even for a conventional film there are a lot of compositing situations, in 3d or in 2d, where the angle needs to change.  

A flying creature, shot in one spot against greenscreen can be made to fly across the landscape, but really the angle we see it at should change as it goes across the screen - if it doesn't, we can somehow sense it as a flat image.  I cover it by rotating it a bit as I animate, but having a full set of angles to choose from would be nice.   (I did rotate a flying Harpy a full 360 degrees for one shot where a flock of them would be flying in  circles, but it was still just one photo for each pose.  If the wings were up when it was flying straight towards camera, I couldn't decide they should be down, it was at a different angle when they were down.)

On the other hand, I would need some massive external hard drives to store 360 images for every frame, especially if they are RAW format!

Back in the VR world, one thing puzzles me -   Rotating the puppet 360 degrees on one axis just gives you the angles as you move from side to side.  It does not give you the change in vertical angle that you see as you walk closer - as you get close, you should see more of the top of its head as you look down on it.  Eventually you could be above it, looking straight down.  A full set of views would be 360 x 360 photos!  Assuming you wouldn't ever squat down and look up, maybe only the top 180 degrees would be needed, but even 180 x 360 equals 64,800 images for every frame!

That rotating the bird slightly advice is genius!! Thanks again for sharing your wisdom Nick. moving on, there are three cameras in his setup so that would give you some of the shift in the vertical axis wouldn't it? My concern would be the time it takes to take each frame and, again, the storage. The end result does look pretty stunning however. One last thought, does the lighting stay in the same place as the photos are taken or does it "move" with the puppet? In the video it looks like the lighting stays in the same place but wouldn't that lead to funky lighting in the VR world?

Here is sort of an update on stop motion & virtual reality via this behind scenes from the Tippett Studio

Fever Dreams - Phil Tippett & The Making of Mad God VR from Kaleidoscope on Vimeo.

My commentary 

https://www.facebook.com/stopmotionworks/posts/943240012411705

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Veejay posted a discussion

Tripod tips and Stop Motion Studio question

Hello,I'm about to dive into the world of Stop Motion. I'm starting by using Stop Motion Studio on…See More
2 hours ago
Ina J replied to Kit's discussion Two StickyBones puppets going dirt cheap.
"Hey there, I've been looking for a Stickybones for a couple weeks now, are your two figures…"
6 hours ago
Ina J updated their profile
7 hours ago
Mark Francombe replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"OK No comments... figures.. I always post huge long essays... not sensible.Ill keep it…"
12 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}