I have already built a table that enables tiedowns. However I have printed out A3 sheets of green backing. The trouble is lighting the stage without creating shadows as I only have one lamp. Should I buy another lamp? Any other tips would be great.

The attachment picture shows my setup.

Views: 242

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You definitely need another light coming in from the other side to fill in the shadows of the wrinkles and so the lighting is equally bright all across the background, not fading as it moves to the right. - It would also be a good idea to stretch that cloth to try to get the wrinkles out of there, and maybe move it to one side so the pressed-in wrinkles aren't going to be in shot - you want it as flat as possible. Also pull the table out from the background a couple of feet so you don't have problems with green spill light reflecting onto the edges of the puppet and making it impossible to pull a good composite. 

Othen than that, it looks like a good setup! You say that's printed paper? Looks like a big piece of green cloth to me - and I hope you didn't waste a lot of green ink printing sheet after sheet of solid green paper.. 

No that isn't the paper version, that is my live action greenscreen. My printed version is made up of 3 A3 sheets.

Strider said:

You definitely need another light coming in from the other side to fill in the shadows of the wrinkles and so the lighting is equally bright all across the background, not fading as it moves to the right. - It would also be a good idea to stretch that cloth to try to get the wrinkles out of there, and maybe move it to one side so the pressed-in wrinkles aren't going to be in shot - you want it as flat as possible. Also pull the table out from the background a couple of feet so you don't have problems with green spill light reflecting onto the edges of the puppet and making it impossible to pull a good composite. 

Othen than that, it looks like a good setup! You say that's printed paper? Looks like a big piece of green cloth to me - and I hope you didn't waste a lot of green ink printing sheet after sheet of solid green paper.. 

I second what strider said, except I suggest three lights instead of two. I would put two lights on either side of the green screen (as Strider suggested), to get even lighting across the screen. The third light is for the model itself. This can be placed to one side of the model or near the camera. Just make sure it doesn't cast the models shadow on the green screen. Animation stage looks good.

As Strider says, you need to pull the puppet a good bit farther away from the greenscreen. If you don't, you will get spill, which will show as a green edge around your puppet. It will be difficult, if not impossible, to get rid of that green edge.  And, as Wallace says, you need two lights on the greenscreen, each one to the side, so that the screen will be evenly lighted. Remove the wrinkles from the greenscreen. And, I would suggest 2 lights for the puppet. One main light placed a bit to the side of the puppet and another light on the other side that is either a smaller light or farther away then the main light(so it will be a fill light). Here is a fairly good tutorial: http://www.clayanimator.com/english/lighting.html   You can click on the buttons below the lighting to see how it looks with different lights on and off.  You probably will not want a backlight.  Your puppet is looking good! Table looks heavy and sturdy..that is good too. Looks like the floor is carpeted. The table looks heavy enough to overcome any slight give in the carpet while you are moving the puppet.

You should definatly buy another lamp lighting usaly cant hurt unless your trying to convey a certain mood to the audence. although u should check my vids out on youtube My chanels is called Bricksand8balls my vidoes are mainly all comedies. Watch them itll be worth your time you will notice how the lighting can make or break a film. Cause you might learn a thing or two hay hay hay  lol you get the piont

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Aj Shenefelt's discussion What to use for set background?
"I'm working on a forest backdrop at the moment.  I am painting it on a piece of masonite…"
15 hours ago
Aj Shenefelt posted a discussion

What to use for set background?

Hi everyone,My apologies if this has been discussed already, but I have had a difficult time…See More
19 hours ago
maddogmovies replied to Jet Zhang's discussion Sculpture material of puppet hands
"Work backwards from the end product. You want silicone (soft) hands. That means a hard mold. If you…"
22 hours ago
Greyguy replied to Greyguy's discussion Start a new armature
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}