Hi All,

Didn't see much going on in here so I'd thought I'd break the ice.  Fantastic workshops taught by former employees of the Trnka Studio.  That and you get to be in Prague while you learn (if only for the beer)...

http://www.puppetsinprague.eu/up_coming_animation.html

Have fun!

trikfx

Views: 974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks trikfx, this looks like a great opportunity, have you been in the program?

tim

Hi Tim,

Well, kind of; I was an apprentice under Milan Vins (and Ondre Zika and Vit Lebeda) in the machine shop at the Trnka studio back in 92 and 94.  Zdar Sorm, who used to be the head of the Carpentry Shop at Trnka's taught me woodcarving during that time; the head on the horse armature on my site was the first result after instruction from him and some of his coworkers.

Something that sticks with me to this day is the attitude in teaching they had.  Unlike most (but thankfully not all; thanks James Chai and Tim Hawkins) of my experiences learning the ropes at Jim Hensen Productions in NYC back in the day, the artists at the Trnka Studio held nothing back.  For example, my first lesson in carving, which was actually a lesson in sharpening chisels, was kind of like; "ok, so there are many approaches to sharpening chisels, but after 20 years, I find that simply doing this and then that gets you a razor sharp, factory perfect result in a fraction of the time" (showing me to create a quick, subtle hollow grind that allows you to easily see and keep even and parallel the leading edge as you hone it on the stone).  Anyway, just one of hundreds of examples of sharing that I received (and still receive) during my time there.

I can't recommend the program more highly.

Best,

Ted

trikfx.com

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the information about the program and the instructors, I'm glad to hear that it was a positive experience.  My introduction to stop motion was through the Czech films (Švankmajer, Jiří Barta, Trnka) so when you posted the link to Puppets in Prague it really seemed a little too good to be true.  You actually answered a somewhat vague question I had; sometimes in a class room setting there is a sense you are being taught a curriculum rather than actual knowledge gained from experience.  An apprenticeship would be ideal and from your description it seems this comes close.  I'll be applying directly for the winter session.

Thanks again, feel free to share more of your experience with the folks from Trnka, I would love to hear more about it!

tim

Enjoy!  Be sure to tell them (especially Milan) that Ted says "ahoj!" (hi).  I hope to post more (I certainly posted volumes at the old site) but I want to do so as part of the resurrection of my shop and the building of a new armature (I have not built one in 5 years).  This gives it a fresh point of reference to a new audience.  With a toddler (and last years flooding), this has taken a little longer then I would like.  But it is inching closer...

Best,

Ted

trikfx.com

t. r. burns said:

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the information about the program and the instructors, I'm glad to hear that it was a positive experience.  My introduction to stop motion was through the Czech films (Švankmajer, Jiří Barta, Trnka) so when you posted the link to Puppets in Prague it really seemed a little too good to be true.  You actually answered a somewhat vague question I had; sometimes in a class room setting there is a sense you are being taught a curriculum rather than actual knowledge gained from experience.  An apprenticeship would be ideal and from your description it seems this comes close.  I'll be applying directly for the winter session.

Thanks again, feel free to share more of your experience with the folks from Trnka, I would love to hear more about it!

tim

Wow, that sounds amazing. Wish I could cast off the chains and go. Just to live in Prague for a while, if nothing else. 

Do it!

Cast them away!  I'm sure I'll be draging a lot of those tethers with me if I get there.  Ted, if I make it into the program I'll be sure to tell them all ahoj for you.  Look forward to seeing what you churn out in the new studio. 

tim

grecodan said:

Wow, that sounds amazing. Wish I could cast off the chains and go. Just to live in Prague for a while, if nothing else. 

I'm here! In Prague! So far it's amazing. I'm only a few days in and we've done a short film at Hafan Studios, had a latex hand demo by Jarda Bezdek, and saw an amazing exhibit of Jan Svankmejer's work in the House at the Stone Bell.  It's been great fun so far, I'm so glad I could make it here. Thanks again for recommending this Ted!

My pleasure. I haven't seen Jarda in years; please give him my warmest regards. Big hellos to Zdar and Milan too. Maybe Milan will take you to the pub that used to be his old workshop (it's one of his favorite spots in the center of town); make sure you hit U Ruldolfina for a great Czech dining (and drinking, of course) experience (past the small bar and down the stairs is where they hide the main resturaunt). Milan knows all my favorite spots... Wish I was there; have a wonderful time!

Best,
Ted

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

James David replied to Bunny Chang's discussion Is 3d printing my models the best method for stop motion?
"It is good thing you are starting on your carrier in 3d print field I like it and also you will…"
10 hours ago
wangrui posted a blog post

I can not wait to play PSO2

The takt is pretty straight forward; it has a foundation ATK of 189 which can be leveled to …See More
19 hours ago
GUATEMAX Animations posted videos
yesterday
GUATEMAX Animations updated their profile
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}