With all of their Indiegogo backers receiving their armatures and their official launch a couple of weeks ago, I've been seeing advertisements and rough reviews almost everywhere... but very little actual animation. Mostly just unboxings, a display of range of motion, and random pose tests.

I'm curious if anyone here had any experience working with one and if they'd be worth the price or if I'd just be better off getting a similarly priced (or slightly more expensive) b&s armature to do exercises with.

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I haven't used stickybones myself, but my friend did a four week animation course where she used the Stickybones for the exercises, so there are some of those animation tests online.
This is my friend's compilation of the workshop exercises: https://vimeo.com/353757853

And another guy on the same workshop posted a couple of great clips from his exercises on his Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0_mwsdge2n/

I think if you are specifically looking for something to practice animation wit the stickybones probably move nicer than an armature you can get at that sort of price. Good quality ball and socket armatures are amazing to animate with, but if you'd buy a cheap ready made ball and socket armature the joints don't always work that smoothly.
So I imagine that for specific practice purposes stickybones would be worth the price. If you wanted to build a puppet around an armature for a specific project then of course you'd want to have a real armature, probably custom built to a specific design.
You could of course also start with making a wire armature and do some tests with that, which would be a lot cheaper, but takes some practice to make it work nicely.

Hope that helps!

I thought the Stickybones design looked great, but they are not a size I can make any use of in my films so I never ordered any.  I practice with my regular puppets, most of which have wire armatures.  I'm used to wire so they work for me.

Thanks for the replies and the links.

Most of my work involves either wire armatures, action figures, or some type of mad scientist hybrid of the two depending on my needs.. which, for the most part, I'm fine with.

There are times though, when I just want to have a little fun- return to the basics and just run exercises...and, on those days, the last thing I want to worry about is building a new puppet or, worse, needlessly wearing one out. With the limited lifespan of wire, I'd rather not kill a puppet because I wanted to make have them 'slowly get angry while waiting for a bus.' Those are the times I'd love to have something that, for the most part, won't wear down or require much set up.

For that, the Stickybones caught my eye... the price is right and they seem to move fairly well and have a decent range of motion.

I'm not the biggest fan of them putting the magnets in the feet (I'd be concerned with it pulling/ shifting itself if it gets too close to the stage) and I've read mixed reviews on the quality of the flying rig, but it seems like a solid enough puppet to get some decent movement out of.

I've just watched a short animation of a Stickybones figure climbing a rock wall, linked in FB group Stop-Motion Clay and Puppet Animation.  (It's on Vimeo, posted by Mielinero.)It is beautifully animated, real sense of weight, purpose, and some nice small movements, so clearly the figures are capable of it in the hands of a good animator.  So well worth using them to practice and get better with.  https://vimeo.com/362656213?fbclid=IwAR2Ltf98OCxY_sf2loHHfxhG1B_01I...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Count Croc replied to A film by Adam Ciolfi's discussion FILTH - a film by Adam Ciolfi
"Cool! This reminds me of Phil Tippett's Mad God except you actually know what's going on."
yesterday
A film by Adam Ciolfi posted a discussion
yesterday
limouzin updated their profile
Friday
Youp Zondag replied to Count Croc's discussion Backgrounds
"Hey, As I was perusing the site and saw your question, I thought I'd get Nick (my camera guy)…"
Friday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}