My puppet has a super sculpey head and plastic eyes. I am looking for a wax that I can put in the eye socket that will hold the eye in place but I will still be able to animate the eyes. Currently I am using globs of Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) but I am looking for other options.

I noticed in another thread on this forum that Strider mentioned Quakehold (microcrystalline wax) which sounds exactly like what I am looking for but I am trying to find something off the shelf from grocery stores or hardware stores. Preferably an item that can be found at Walmart, Lowe's or Michaels.

Views: 496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MIchaels sells museum wax/putty, which is about the same as Quakehold. I have also seen Quakehold at Walmart or Home Depot sometimes.

Thanks Alejandra. I'll hit the stores tomorrow to see what I can find.

Yea! you're welcome!! 

I think you should be able to find something, even if it's not the Quakehold brand, anything like museum wax/putty should work perfectly with what you want to do 

No luck at all, nothing even close. With Walmart and Home Depot you can order it online but I was looking for something to use this weekend none of the stores within 50 miles has it in stock.

In the case of MIchaels I looked online, and in the glue section as well as the candle sections and even around the collectables.

I will give bees' wax or poster tack a try. My wife suggested peanut butter. I know the Vaseline works if I have to use it plus it gives a shine to the eyes.

Microcristallina wax is all around some cheese (italian cheese is named Galbanino)formaggio docle a pasta filante

I don't think the cheese idea will work for me.

The Tacky wax would be perfect but it is also not in stock at any Walmart within 50 miles.

However the local Hobby Lobby has Bard's Tacky wax. So as soon as they open I will see if they have it in stock. Sounds like the same stuff. Says it is used in doll houses to keep stuff from falling over.

Probably shouldn't have waited until the day before filming to look for this stuff.

Thanks everybody.

To make tacky wax you need to mix beeswax with some oil like coconut oil.

Here's a youtube video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-StW3oIoe8

Thank you Simon. I can't believe I never found that video. Going to have to try it.

Well the video did not lie. I am very happy with my home made sticky wax that I was able to make for $1.99 (I already had Olive Oil).

I used a cut beer can as my wax boiler. Not the best idea because the boiling water almost tipped it over.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Xiakeyra posted a video

Baby Yoda Clay Animation test

stop motion clay animation test about baby Yoda, the cute Star Wars character from "The Mandalorian" series.
18 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Jet Zhang's discussion Shining skin on foam latex
"If you were using platinum silicone, it would be inhibited by the latex, so the logical method…"
yesterday
phelps/cota updated their profile
yesterday
Jet Zhang posted discussions
Thursday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}