Hi- we've been having a long discussion about the use of the ARC window in the new release of Dragonframe, - for, oooh, about 8 months now...

The thread got very lengthy, meandering, chatty- and well, warm and fuzzy, but perhaps a little LONG

So I thought I'd breath some life into it on the new board.

Most of those involved how now built some kind of motion control rig- pioneers include Jim, Mark, Doug and wrongboy- as well as myself.

here is the link to the original thread if anyone wants to head backwards- a lot of ground has been covered already.

my news is that i have some footage of current tests of the 3 axis rig I have built- like a cage to surround the sets on my next pieces.

https://vimeo.com/43962401

the rig seems fairly reliable so far, after a rebuild last month on the vertical section- in the test footage we struggle a while to find a cleaner slower track, until the steps per revolution setting was increased to 3200- although i'm sure we can get even cleaner moves yet out of it...

I am still using the original DFMoco sketch for Arduino, and wonder whether any of the other guys have any thoughts on differences between the two?

I also think the curves used during these early test moves could have been designed better themselves- too many keyframes for each seperate axis i suspect...obviously 3 axis moves are going to be a very rare occurence anyway...

Anyway, the thread- it lives!

John

Views: 2463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a shot I've had for a while for your consideration - still just test footage but with some animation of rod included- a possible potential 'spoiler', but what can you do?

this is the motion control rig doing an x-z move, with an underslung emotimo tb3 doing pan tilt- and focus pull too via the trick suggested by Will many posts earlier-

hope you like it- for test footage...john

https://vimeo.com/59492908

nice:)

It has been awhile. Well my rig is now a full on realtime/animation motion control rig! I am interfacing DragonFrame with a MANTIS controller via the DDMX-S2 box that the guys at DF sell. Not only is everything working great I now can play around with go-motion! Very exciting times.

Hi Doug, I've followed your posts on Timescape.org about the MANTIS software/box and am very interested in it after seeing your enthusiasm.  I've finally got my pan/tilt/roll nodal head in construction, after all this time with a design I'm happy with (well, until it fails in practice, I guess!).

What is the ballpark cost for the MANTIS?  I'm guessing it's a fair bit better deal than Kuper kit, but my gut tells me it's probably a couple grand US or more...

Regards,

Jim Arthurs

It has been awhile. Well my rig is now a full on realtime/animation motion control rig! I am interfacing DragonFrame with a MANTIS controller via the DDMX-S2 box that the guys at DF sell. Not only is everything working great I now can play around with go-motion! Very exciting times.

Hey Jim,
I would love to tell you but Gerald likes to deal one on one with clients. Shoot him an email and ask. I will tell you this though, it is very affordable and what you get is a full on professional system capable of great things. It is as I am finding out, a fair bit more involved then programming a move in DF, but it is so exciting to see the move in realtime. If all you want is a stopmotion system the DMC-16 maybe more what you are looking for. But if like me you want to be able to offer realtime to clients than Mantis is certainly the way to go. Plus if you invest in the DDMX from DF you can still combine the two and you are set for anything. Shoot Gerald and email, you won't regret it.

Cheers Jim.

Thanks Doug, I'll do that!  

In all honesty, I lost track of "new" development from Dragonframe, so the DMC-16 took me by surprise this week.  Glad to see they have a solution for open shutter while moving now.

One of the things I'll be doing, with either system, would be importing "keyframe on every frame" data from motion tracking software... I've got a fairly interesting way of doing it, that would work well with either system.  I have less need than you of "real" motion control with full speed playback or encoding, but the MANTIS system seems so complete and turnkey that I really want to explore it more carefully.

Regards,

Jim Arthurs

A test I shot. Still rough but the movement is just about right. Using motion control is so much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlWbyDVPUNc&feature=share&li...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Puppet Putty

Puppet Putty is formulated by clay animator Don Carlson. Properties include colors that do not bleed on your hands, a matte finish, cleans up with water, is very light weight, firm, non-greasy and has a silky texture.

MESSAGE BOARD QUICK LINKS

Message Board

Camera Count

Started by Michael in CAMERA & STAGE. Last reply by Jack Liddon 5 hours ago. 2 Replies

Hi to everybody, this is my first post here.I am looking to purchase a used Canon 40D to be used with Dragonframe.  I keep seeing people on ebay asking what is the camera count.  Since I would be using a frame grabber, is the count something I…Continue

Stop Motion Camera Slider Rig

Started by Christopher Olsen in ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT. Last reply by Jack Liddon 7 hours ago. 6 Replies

Hey guys, thought I would share the stop motion camera rig I built for a film I'm working on right now.The rig is fairly simple in design, it's just two aluminum rails from IKEA that I bolted to two pieces of masonite laminated together for…Continue

how do you animate doll eyes with no hole?

Started by Dawn Brown in GENERAL PUPPET MAKING. Last reply by Christopher Olsen 10 hours ago. 5 Replies

Hi guys,I have a question that no doubt many have run into before. I want to use doll eyes in my stop-mo puppets. The doll eyes come with a stem in the back, that's easy  to grind off so now they are round. But how do you animate them without…Continue

Tags: doll, eyes

First Snow on crowdfunding portal!

Started by Karolina Čížková in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by Karolina Čížková 15 hours ago. 9 Replies

Hi stop-motion lovers! Stop motion film First Snow from Czech Republic is on crowdfunding compaign - on Hithit.com!Here is the link:https://www.hithit.com/en/project/339/prvni-snihTHANK…Continue

Tags: czech, republic, tradicional, snow, first

Camera Shake Problem

Started by Haruko Napochka in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by Haruko Napochka yesterday. 8 Replies

Hello, everyone! My name is Haruko Napochka, and I am totally newbie here. Mostly, I've been making/learning cut-out, but thanks to your web site, I've started experimenting wire armatures and tie downs with my paper marionettes.Today, I've just…Continue

Tags: multi, plane, problem, basic, camera

Nice creepy dark carnival type stopmo in American Horror Story: Freak Show opening credits

Started by Strider in STOP MOTION ON VIDEO. Last reply by Philmation on Saturday. 7 Replies

Just saw the premiere tonight, and was amazed to see stopmotion in the credits. Oh, some weird sexual stuff going on, mostly between skeletons - just a heads up. Continue

Photos

Loading…

Events

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

Members

© 2014   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}