Solenoid actuator as a shutter release? Mythbusters style!

I've got a camera that doesn't allow any kind of remote shutter release, mechanical or electronic, and I'd like to rig one up for it. My idea is to use some kind of linear actuator Mythbusters style. I've seen them use these things to push all kinds of buttons and triggers.

I've been trying to research it but not finding much useful information, and I'm getting the feeling that if you can't already understand the complicated electronic diagrams and formulae, then you just shouldn't be trying to do this. I did manage to learn that apparently what I need is (I think anyway) called a solenoid actuator, which run on DC current. I've perhaps foolishly ordered a small one from eBay, that takes 12v DC, and thought it would be a simple matter to find a tutorial on attaching an old camera battery charger or something with a switch to use as a power supply, but not having any luck yet. 

Then it hit me - I should ask here on good old SMA - there are guys in here hooking up all kinds of stepper motors and Arduino cards - I hope at least somebody can direct me to some kind of resource for learning about how to do this stuff. Or maybe somebody knows of a better way to remotely activate a shutter mechanically? I mean I plan to literally build a camera holder with an arm above it where I'll attach some device to push down on the shutter button when I want it to. 

And before anybody mentions it - I have looked into using one of the old fashioned mechanical cable-style shutter releases. I used to have one of them for an old camera - not sure what happened to it but it seems like it stopped working, which according to Amazon comments they all do at some point - most pretty quickly. 

Ok, so any advice or links would be most appreciated! 

Edit- here's a picture and the info from the eBay page:

"10mm 10N Spring Load Push Pull Actuator Electromagnet Solenoid DC 12V"

Views: 1550

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hm, I don't remember putting anything called an inductor in there - that must be the diode. 

Ok, thanks for all the talking-through Thomas, and the chiming in Jack. It's all wired up, soldered, and fully functioning now. I've shot a ridiculous amount of material of the build that will be reduced to a little montage tomorrow. I'm using this as an opportunity to learn a lot more about editing than I already knew (which was just enough to scrape by). 

Ok, a quick bit of research tells me the inductor is actually the solenoid actuator. When an electromagnet is charged and the current is suddenly cut off the magnetic field collapses instantly and creates a big electrical spike back through the circuit, which can greatly reduce the life of the switch. So the diode is put in place as a one way valve to prevent the backflow. You had already explained much of this Thomas, but I only understood it in little bits and pieces - now it's getting more clear. 

And in related news, I switched to the weaker power supply which works instantly, and it's easily strong enough. I discovered I needed to pull the actuator away from the remote far enough to allow it to move through its full range before it hits - when I had it jammed up too close it couldn't generate enough power. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

indiegogo for david allen's primevals

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Gumby Imagined, The Story of Art Clokey and His Creations

The ultimate Gumby retrospective packed with incredible photos and never-before-shared stories. Written by Art Clokey's children, Joan and Joe Clokey, this is the most comprehensive book ever published on Gumby, Davey and Goliath and their creator Art Clokey, a pioneer in stop-motion animation.

stopmo jam on Instagram

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}