Hello guys,

I have three questions about painting silicone:

1- What is the difference between Silc-pig and Psycho Paint?

2- Can I apply silc-pig directly to my silicone model or I need to mix it with Psycho Paint?

3- What type of paint thinners would work best with silc-pig so I can air-brush my puppet?

I want a very thin layer almost transparent to detail the wrinkles around the eyes and the forehead.

I appreciate your help guys in advance.

Thanks!    

Views: 1748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Psycho Paint is a clear 2 part silicone base. Silc Pig is the actual colour pigments that you mix into the Psycho Paint base to make up the paint. On it's own, the pigment will never set or dry, it stays wet.
I found I was happier using a bit more of the silicone the puppet was cast in - Platsil Gel 10 or Smooth-On Ecoflex 00-30. I had a few times when the psycho paint failed to cure, perhaps because of too much pigment in it, or too much solvent to thin it.
I use Shellite, sold here as a lighter fluid and for cleaning purposes, as the thinner for silicone. It is also known as Naptha. It is less toxic than some the other recommended thinners, and evaporates very quickly.

What if I use the silicone (Dragon Skin 10A) as the base and mix some silc-pig with thinner would I get similar result or Psycho Paint is a must?

Thank you Nick for answering the previous questions

I wouldn't bother with the Psycho paint. I bought a trial kit and it didn't cure at all on my silicone, admittedly i was not using dragon skin but another platinum silicone so maybe that was the problem but as Nick said you would not go far wrong using your base silicone thinned down and add your silc pig or artists oil paints.

I've only used Silc-Pig for intrinsic coloring, but it worked just fine.  It works with tin and platinum silicone.

Something to remember is that, in a way, there's no difference between using pigments as a paint versus for intrinsic coloring. When using it as paint you're mixing up a thinned silicone - add pigment to part A and then mix in part B.

Thank you guys!

I will go ahead and try to mix the silicone with  normal thinner that I'm not sure about and see how it works!

I can't find any Naptha or Toluene.

What do you mean by "normal thinner"?    Normal for what?  It might not be the right thinner for platinum cure silicone.  

Toluene is probably the best thinner, except I can't work with it, it gives me an instant headache.  Even looking at cans of automotive paint thinner in the paint store, which contained toluene, I was getting sick, and the cans were all closed.  

Look for small cans of lighter fluid, that is usually naptha.  Not the compressed gas, but for lighters that use liquid fuel.  

As an experiment I might even try petrol (gasoline).  Like Shellite (naptha), it evaporates quickly.  But it stinks more.   I don't know if it would work but it's easy to get.

You don't want to use Silicone Oil or Diluent as a thinner, if that is what you were thinking of.  It makes the silicone stay sticky and should only be used inside the puppet, after you have painted a silicone skin on the mould without silicone oil.  Even then the oil can sweat out through the skin - tried it once, won't use it again.

Nick I have thinner that I use to clean my brushes when I make oil paintings, it is odourless thinner and it is the only type of pure thinners we have in Qatar, other than that I will try my best to get Toluene shipped to here.

I will just make an experiment and try it on a sample silicone head and I will try gasoline as well since you mentioned it and see how it works!

Do you have this kind of cigarette lighters in Qatar?

The refillable kind? If so, you can use the lighter fluid sold for them - it's a great solvent for making silicone paint. 

If not, then you can also use a solvent from citrus cleaning products, like D-Limonene (the active ingredient in many of them, without the added stuff).

Yes we do have refillable lighters, I haven't thought of that!

Thanks Strider

You're welcome! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Devin Pingree replied to Devin Pingree's discussion 1:6 scale props
"Thanks for the information. I'll see what I can find on eBay."
1 hour ago
StopmoNick replied to Devin Pingree's discussion 1:6 scale props
"There are quite a few things made for 12" action figures.  Especially WWII military stuff…"
14 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"Thanks for the hair tips Rebecca!  I think I will look for mohair.  "
14 hours ago
Rebecca Agnew replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"Thanks everyone for sharing your experiments and ideas. Time to update my methodologies- I cast it…"
18 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}