Fell ill the last couple of weeks with stomach pain, bleeding, and other unpleasantries common with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Going in for a colonoscopy in the next two to check for cancer in the large intestine. Doctors have a hunch I've got it, but want to be sure so that if there is any, they can get it out before it spreads. Now that being sick is the new normal, I can't wish I wasn't sick anymore. But I do wish I don't have cancer, and that it's something that can be taken care of with medication, bed rest, and a short leave of absence at work (I've got hundreds of sick hours because I rarely call in). It's not just about the prospect of dying; I've always known this was a possibility and am prepared for one such eventuality. It's that I haven't been able to DO ANYTHING but lie in bed. When the gut funk hits, life gets put on hold, and there's clay samples to mail out, waxes to experiment with...It's frustrating when you have to play the waiting game with your own body and hope for permission from it to do what you enjoy. It would be nice to not just be a statistic and be able to make a difference/handprints in the cement, so to speak.

I had just moved recently and got a nice garage to shoot in with the perfect height for a stop-mo stage. Before moving in, I didn't even know about the garage and already wanted the place (the lady was nice and the house spoke to me), so that was an awesome bonus. Nothing I can do but keep looking forward to the day that I'll be able to play in there. The worst part is the gnawing upper GI pain that I don't have anything for. Tried Tums, Pepto, and Imodium AD. It's this ever-present burning, cramping. Walking around is agony. I don't think most people realize how many abdominal muscles we use to stabilize ourselves when walking).

Whether or not there is cancer in there, I'm looking at sulfa, steroids, and possible surgery. Also getting a social worker. I don't need a counseler for this. All I need is a way to tell my body that I'm not stressed out.  As silly as it sounds, this is an emotional disease and since getting impersonated on a forum I've been really hard on myself.

Views: 573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great question, Dave! I didn't even consider that, but I have a friend in NY who has Crohn's and he said to avoid gluten, so even if I don't have Celiac Disease, gluten seems to be a common issue with Crohn's patients. Some of those symptoms match what I'm experiencing perfectly: especially the brain fog... I stutter a lot and can't think of what to say during a conversation, have trouble ordering food, etc. In the past, I've been thought to simply be stupid, but a psychologist said I was extremely intelligent and clever (and that was as a professional observation, not a compliment) so it sounds like my occasional "dumb" spells could be caused by something medical. I know that iron can cause brain fog as well.

So far, the doctors have not mentioned Celiac, though. I will ask them to test for it next time I'm in. Would evidence of Celiac show up in a stool sample? I gave one yesterday to check for C-Diff, but maybe they will realize it's Celiac when they test for the other thing. I hope so, if that's what I've got...Kind of interesting, too, because when I was making and writing about making clay I did a lot of research about flour-filled modeling clays and alternatives for people with Celiac Disease. Wouldn't it be something if I had it, myself?

I'm not a doctor, so I can't say much about detection.

A friend has it and for years appeared on death's door, Doctors considered cancer and various other things I can't remember. She self-diagnosed as celiac, changed her diet, and now is as fine as one would expect.

Your best bet would be to educate yourself before bringing it up with doctors. It's often dismissed here in the states.

About half the things in this list match symptoms you've noted just in this thread:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/#symptoms

This talks about diagnosis problems. Celiac looks similar to other problems (like IBS) so doctors go down the wrong path quite often:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/#diagnosis

Google "celiac damage to small intestine" to find details on what it does to the intestine and then how the body reacts. That seems a fairly quick way to get directly to the details.

Thanks, Dave. 

What's interesting is that I went for long periods of time eating gluten and never had a problem if I wasn't flaring. From what I understand, Celiac Disease doesn't let you have any gluten. It could be that there is a certain tolerance before it breaks through to complete allergy. Still worth discussing with my doctor.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Dyami Caliri replied to Marcie LaCerte's discussion Sony A7s can't capture more than one image at a time
"We just had another user report this issue... but we don't see it with our cameras, at least…"
1 hour ago
Calvin Carl Bond posted a discussion

Voice actors?

Hey, everyone, I am working a stop-motion at the moment that needs some voice actors and one wanna…See More
3 hours ago
Tatu P replied to Tatu P's discussion All tender things
"Hi Nick! Thank you for your kind words. I spend 7 years to trying to do feature and that dragged my…"
9 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Tatu P's discussion All tender things
"Looks very good, great animation and lighting!  I look forward to the finished film.  It…"
17 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}