Hi everyone,

I've just finished a first rough version of my show reel and i know it still needs some work  i wonder if the good people on here could tell me please what do you think. https://youtu.be/Od23r2TJ96c

i would like your honest opinion, please let me know what you like and don't like and any advice  would be much appreciated

I look foreword to hearing from you in due course

Lewis 

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see some things that work in terms of telling your story, but not so much as a way of showing your skills.  (And I speak as an animator-director who has sometimes needed to hire people who can do a professional job at modelmaking or animating, so my interest was in very developed skills, someone who was ready to go while I could get on with other things.)  I think this is largely due to the frame rate being too slow.  A lot of moves are "steppy" - you can see it step from one frame to another, instead of blending together in the illusion of movement.  It's there right from the beginning, in the shot of your character before the title.  It looks like you are shooting on threes or maybe fours, and the subtle things like ease-in and ease-out happen in between these frames, so you can't really show them.

The double decker bus and toys don't add much, except some variety.  I do see that you used a hidden support to make the bus fall over in stages.

Some of the lip synch in that next shot worked, some didn't, and there were a couple of big pops when the head moved a lot in one frame, then froze.  Again, the toys moving about don't do much for me.  The next shot of your clay puppet has some nice eyebrow action and eyeblinks, and does seem to be reacting to something.  The wire figure is not doing a great walk.

There are also some changes in brightness, which you probably can't do anything about.  I wouldn't be worrying about that if I was hiring someone, they would be animating with my camera and lighting so that would be sorted.  But it would matter if I was looking for someone to animate and shoot a segment or ad in their own studio.

So this shows you have been doing some work and learning a lot, but are not at a pro level yet. You need to go to a standard frame rate - ideally 24 fps (film rate), or video rate of 25 fps (PAL, UK, Europe, Australia) or 30 fps (NTSC North America).  Shooting on twos would be acceptable  (12, 12 1/2, or 15 fps) but no slower than that.   Then you need to work on some of the Principles of Animation like Anticipation and Follow-through, and Ease-In.   Google them, I have to rush out now.

Hi Nick, 

Thank you so much for taking time to give me your advice,

I've taken ever think you said on board and hopefully this will help me improve.

if there any think else your like to add, please feel free

Lewis

This is very rough and my first attempt at Stop frame and i know that I've still got a lot of work to do

I made all the puppets, Set and animated it my self and my other half Hazel made the jumper and Props

I've done a bit of  CG and i thought that was tough but Stop Frame is all to together a different ball game  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Thursday
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Wednesday
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Wednesday
Dave Cooley replied to Chris Johnson's discussion Halloween with Corky and Clay
"Looking good!"
Tuesday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}