Hi all,

I'm interested in casting puppets with rubber latex, but I have never used such a material before. I was recently at Hobby Lobby and saw that they have it there (in the dioramas section) for $19 a bottle. Is such rubber latex okay to use? If not, what are the best sources to get paint-on rubber latex from? 

Views: 2115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are two different kinds of latex - This sounds like the first kind, but may be very expensive for the small quantity you get:  

Liquid latex, used for brushing on, spraying on, or filling a plaster mould.  If casting in a mould, you pour it back out of the mould after  around 10 to 30 minutes, and a layer of latex on the plaster clings because the plaster has absorbed some of the water, making it thicker.  You leave it to dry, and that forms a hollow skin.  It is good for hand puppets and masks.  I also use it to paint onto my wire armature to build up hands in solid latex.  It takes many coats, letting each coat dry before adding the next one.  Or you can cast hollow skins and glue them on top of a padded armature.  It works best for skinny puppets, because it is strong, like a rubber band, and wants to pull the puppet back into the original pose.   A latex skin over a thicker body with softer urethane foam underneath will tend to fold in half like a rubber boot when you bend it.

What country do you live in?  I will assume the USA, since you didn't say, so here a place that stocks liquid latex, and other materials:

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/CastingMaterials/LATEX/latex.htm

Looks like there may be some filler in this latex, to make it a little stiffer.  That is great for masks and props, but not always so good for animation puppets.  I'm not finding the thinner Spraying Latex that I use in US links,  Google keeps being helpful and giving me Australian suppliers (which I already know).

Burman might have something...  http://www.burmanindustries.com   I can't seem to go to the latex page at the moment, it just keeps on spinning...  you can try.

The other one is Foam Latex, which comes in a kit with latex base, curing agent, foaming agent, and gelling agent.  It is only used for casting in a mould.  You whip it up in a mixer so it's like whipped cream, then brush or inject it into a plaster mould with the armature inside.  It is baked in an oven and sets like foam rubber.  It is far more flexible and stretchable than solid latex, and is the best way to get a puppet that reproduces your sculpture, and can be animated.

Here is a source for foam latex:   http://www.monstermakers.com/category/The-Monster-Makers-Foam-Latex...

They also sell mask making latex, but I think that would have some filler in it to stiffen it a little.  

I never could get my latex to lay down as smooth as you do on your hands.  I use balloon latex which is supposed to be thin and nice for that kind of work but it's not working for me.  Any idea why?  Sorry to hijack your post Lauren but I thought it might helpful!

StopmoNick said:

There are two different kinds of latex - This sounds like the first kind, but may be very expensive for the small quantity you get:  

Liquid latex, used for brushing on, spraying on, or filling a plaster mould.  If casting in a mould, you pour it back out of the mould after  around 10 to 30 minutes, and a layer of latex on the plaster clings because the plaster has absorbed some of the water, making it thicker.  You leave it to dry, and that forms a hollow skin.  It is good for hand puppets and masks.  I also use it to paint onto my wire armature to build up hands in solid latex.  It takes many coats, letting each coat dry before adding the next one.  Or you can cast hollow skins and glue them on top of a padded armature.  It works best for skinny puppets, because it is strong, like a rubber band, and wants to pull the puppet back into the original pose.   A latex skin over a thicker body with softer urethane foam underneath will tend to fold in half like a rubber boot when you bend it.

What country do you live in?  I will assume the USA, since you didn't say, so here a place that stocks liquid latex, and other materials:

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/CastingMaterials/LATEX/latex.htm

Looks like there may be some filler in this latex, to make it a little stiffer.  That is great for masks and props, but not always so good for animation puppets.  I'm not finding the thinner Spraying Latex that I use in US links,  Google keeps being helpful and giving me Australian suppliers (which I already know).

Burman might have something...  http://www.burmanindustries.com   I can't seem to go to the latex page at the moment, it just keeps on spinning...  you can try.

The other one is Foam Latex, which comes in a kit with latex base, curing agent, foaming agent, and gelling agent.  It is only used for casting in a mould.  You whip it up in a mixer so it's like whipped cream, then brush or inject it into a plaster mould with the armature inside.  It is baked in an oven and sets like foam rubber.  It is far more flexible and stretchable than solid latex, and is the best way to get a puppet that reproduces your sculpture, and can be animated.

Here is a source for foam latex:   http://www.monstermakers.com/category/The-Monster-Makers-Foam-Latex...

They also sell mask making latex, but I think that would have some filler in it to stiffen it a little.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Rebecca Agnew replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"Hi Nick, Thanks for the response, yes mine is 1/12th scale too. I used Gel 10 silicone so it was…"
2 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"I tried a horse, in 1:6 scale to use in the background.  I cast in foam latex because it would…"
12 hours ago
Rebecca Agnew posted a discussion

Horse Puppet Issue

Hi There,I have been a long time reader but have just joined the group!I recently made a horse with…See More
13 hours ago
Devin Pingree posted a discussion

1:6 scale props

Does anyone have any suggestions on purchasing 1:6 scale props? I've found that there's much more…See More
16 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}