Hi everyone,

I found this today in the ether.  It looks like some useful information for anyone who has had issues with flicker, how to reduce it and also ways of fixing it in After Effects.

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/07/reducing-flicker-for-sto...

cheers,

tim

Views: 3200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always get burnt from my flood lights when I animate naked ;-)
Not a pretty sight
... Jbd

Lol yeah, stopmo nudists have a bit more to worry about than flicker, don't they? 

Funny your should mention turning off the heater - by the time my camera comes back from repair and I actually start animating my puppets, it may will be the end of fall.  The heat will be turned off, if possible, as well as some appliances - fall and winter in Minnesota can be brutal, but one has to suffer for one's art, right?

How can you animate in the cold? My fingers turn into icicles! I defo can't do any sensitive touches to the puppets. Even typing with cold fingers is hard 

David Geister said:

Funny your should mention turning off the heater - by the time my camera comes back from repair and I actually start animating my puppets, it may will be the end of fall.  The heat will be turned off, if possible, as well as some appliances - fall and winter in Minnesota can be brutal, but one has to suffer for one's art, right?

I can't say - this will be my first time trying it!!

Might have to warm your hands under a light - I mean not while shooting frames obviously! That would actually cause flicker and bring this thread back onto topic.. 

That would be a shame!!

What is the general feeling regarding Florescent lights to reduce flicker? I haven't tried them and don't care for the color, but maybe some of you have used them ( I think Nick may have).

I actually do have one fluorescent light inside a chinese paper globe lantern that I'm using as a big source of soft diffused light. The paper lantern came from my mom's house where it had absorbed smoke for like 30 years, so it's a nice warm brownish/yellowish color that fixes the natural cold greenish tendency of fluoros. Though actually this is one of those modern bright white compact fluoro bulbs - the twisty kind - and it isn't greenish, just a hard cold white. 

They're fine as long as you're taking long exposures - but they do flicker at a very fast rate of speed. just wave your hand around next time you're under fluorescent lighting and you'll see a very fast strobe-light effect. So long exposures are a must. 

The long tubes would be a decent source for soft diffused light - I'd put something in front of them to help diffuse it even more. But they're not like a single-source bulb that can give you hard-edged shadows. With the tubes you get a long strip of light rather than a single point. So not good for a sun unless it's a cloudy day, or a moon either with the same caveat. (But night. Cloudy night) (obviously) 

But it can cause problems for white balancing if your lights are different colors (like incandescents and fluoros). Be sure to use them in a place where the cold color cast is appropriate. Or maybe gel them, or get a paper lantern from a smokehouse. 

Good advice - thanks!

I know this topic is a few years old, but I've been researching flicker removal software myself and figured I'd add this for anyone looking through the old threads.

I've had good results from FLICKER FREE by Digital Anarchy. It's $149 for a download, but for what you get -- solid presets that basically get the job done without much tweaking -- I'd say it's a deal.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Georgia Madden replied to Georgia Madden's discussion Salt Lamp Sub?
"Hi Dave, Yes, I was thinking wax or soap though I don't know if they'll look matte enough…"
5 minutes ago
Dave Cooley replied to Georgia Madden's discussion Salt Lamp Sub?
"I had to Google salt lamp to see what it looked like. My first impression was wax, though that…"
27 minutes ago
Dave Cooley commented on Stanley Milton Strawn's video
Thumbnail

Big Trouble From Outer Space Trailer

"Wow, a feature! Not sure I'm up to that. It's a major undertaking and just to finish one…"
30 minutes ago
Dave Cooley replied to Dave Cooley's discussion Moving water in a scene
"The biggest pops are due to adding the slats to the back. They stand too high so I've now…"
1 hour ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}