Working With Dinosaurs, The Stop-Motion World of Ray Harryhausen was a half-hour programme about Ray's work broadcast on the UK's Channel 4 in 1999. Ray actually animated one of his skeletons in the show, his first animation since Clash of the Titans! It has never, to my knowledge, been either repeated on TV or released on DVD. I recorded it on VHS at the time and digitised it a few years ago.

A couple of days ago I sent a friend the avi file (which is 488Mb) via WeTransfer. You can also download it from WeTransfer via this link if you wish to have it:

http://we.tl/29jscJoWqE

The file will remain on WeTransfer's server until 23 May, upon which they will then delete it.

Views: 748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Many thanks McTodd! Amazing show - I think the best one I've seen about Ray and his work. So many of his great scenes shown, and this is where that time lapse shot of him animating the skeleton comes from, though here you get to see a lot more of it - along with closeups of him doing the animation and finally the skeleton standing up beside Ray - altogether maybe 7 or 8 minutes of him working with the skeleton puppet! What a great fix! 

Thanks so much! This is a brilliant show. Great stuff!

Fantastic vid, 1 question though, what was the tool that Harryhausen was using to measure the movements of his puppet in the milometer increments he was talking about.

That is a surface gauge! In the days of animating on film it was used as a reference point for where a puppet was in a given frame. Nowadays, shooting on video with framegrabbers means animators can use onion-skins or similar features to actually view earlier frames.

Anyway, glad you all enjoy it! I'd but it like a shot if they released it on DVD, my creaky old VHS recording is not the best in the world...

Old School, like it.

What a great find!

Thank you!

Interesting thanks for the info, I might and try to find one just to mess around with it.

Hey thanks so much , it's nice to have this !

It was great to watch Ray work.  Thanks for posting!

Thanks!!! 

I haven't seen this since it aired in 1993.  Was lucky enough to be in England to see it on UK television and wanted to get a copy of it ever since.  Very nice of you to share!

Yo Chris, How ya been?  Do you think with the passing of Ray Harryhausen; Mr. Band may have a bit of inspiration to release Primevals finally?  Also, with  Sinbad the 5th Voyage coming out soon...(not to mention a couple other Stop-mo Ray Harryhausen style films...like Legend of the Golden Fish Cake etc.)that it could light a fire under Band if those films do reasonably well? I would have thought the passing of Dave Allen would have been enough inspiration to finish his dream project...but...well, know what I'm sayin'? Or is there any movement at all?

RE: WORKING WITH DINOSAURS

Correction:  Now that I've seen it, this is obviously not the program that was aired in 1993--sorry about the misinformation.  Still, it was one of the best pieces on Ray.  So glad you shared this!

RE: PRIMEVALS

Stan--Charlie Band is interested in releasing the film--he just doesn't want to spend ANY money on doing more work for it.  He feels that the picture, as it now stands, can be re-cut into something that approximates a finished movie.   I don't agree, and need to find alternative forms of funding (like kickstarter).   That being said, I'm in the process now of dusting off the project and looking into getting back into production on THE PRIMEVALS.   More on this soon, hopefully.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Count Croc replied to Count Croc's discussion My newest monster
"It's really more of a mandible type deal rather than a jaw."
5 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Ben Young's discussion Armature and Casting advice for movable animal ears
"Hey, they look great! I especially like the Ox, who has bags of character. The goat-kid is nice…"
9 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Alonso Soriano's discussion Cosclay
"This looks exciting stuff with many possibilities for stop motion."
9 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Count Croc's discussion My newest monster
"Looks fun. How does the jaw relate to the rest of the head?"
9 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}