Really sad news from Twitter:

The Harryhausen family regret to announce the death of Ray Harryhausen

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ray-and-Diana-Harryhausen-Founda...

RIP Ray.

Views: 1860

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so happy and honored to have met this incredible gentleman. Very sad to say goodbye. Many of us have tried to put into words how his work inspired us...yet, I don't think anyone quite nailed it-it was more of an intuition connection. That intangible something. I hope to touch those nerves with someone someday. Goodbye Uncle Ray.

Here's a great tribute done by Dave Coleman (brother of Cryptozoologist Loren Coleman) over on Cryptomundo's website;http://www.cryptomundo.com/movie-monsters/remembering-ray-harryhausen/

I was surprised to find out that he was married to David Livingstone's (of Stanley and Livingstone fame) great-granddaughter. Here's a bronze that he did depicting Livingstone…

Ray had an amazing life, that's for sure.

He was an inspiration to me.
I remember seeing the READING RAINBOW episode, "Digging up Dinosaurs", where at the beginning there was a clip of two dinosaurs fighting from ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. (1966).
Seeing that as a child, I was convinced that it was REAL.
I saw blown away by CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981). The book, WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE SCREEN inspired me to watch his films and other books caused me to dive into the story about his films. Especially shows like MOVIE MAGIC and CINEMA SECRETS.
THE VISITORS (2009) and it's sequel were my Harryhausen - influenced films.
I am sure going to miss him.

Earlier I sent a friend an avi file, digitised from a VHS recording made off-air, of a TV programme aired in 1999 called Working With Dinosaurs, The Stop-Motion World of Ray Harryhausen. It's around half an hour long, the file is 488Mb. You can download it from WeTransfer via this link if you wish to have it:

http://we.tl/29jscJoWqE

The file will remain on WeTransfer's server until 23 May.

FILM FANTASY SCRAPBOOK.  That was the name of the book that I, as a 10 year-old Michigan kid, kept borrowing from the Flint Public Library.  It was filled with incredible photos from many of Ray Harryhausen’s films and projects.  I was already well aware of the terrifying Cyclops from The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, but there were new creatures I had yet to discover.  That was back in the early 1970s, before the Internet, DVD, or even VHS.  I had limited resources if I was going to figure out how to be a stop motion animator and fortunately for me, Ray had written a book.

Years later, after I had been working in the film business for over a decade, I got my chance to meet Ray.  Seamus Walsh and Mark Caballero introduced me to Ray at the premiere of The Tortoise and the Hare on December 05, 2002,.  I was awestruck as I shook his hand.  Finally, I was meeting the man who, through his writing and his films, had encouraged me all those years ago.  I congratulated him on the completion of the film before he was quickly pulled away by the Press and many other admirers.

Then on November 05, 2004, Ray visited the studio I was working at.  He arrived for a tour at 3 Mills Studios in London where we were hard at work on Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride.  I was animating a shot with Scraps, the skeleton dog, when Ray’s tour neared my stage.  The skeleton fight in 7th Voyage has always been one of my favorite Harryhausen sequences so I rushed the tiny skeleton dog over to him and put it in his hands.  I wish I had a photo of that moment.  Later, he met with the crew for afternoon tea outside.  The studio was buzzing for days afterward.

On April 08, 2006, Ray was at the Rafael Film Center, in San Rafael, California.  He was there to give a talk and sign his book, The Art of Ray Harryhausen.  This would be the last time I was to see Ray.  My friend Justin Kohn snapped this great photo.  

Ray has been a strong presence in my life since the beginning of my stop motion quest.  In his own life, he took a risk when he pursued his film making dreams and he was successful.  Through his life example, he showed me and countless others that it was possible to pursue a career in stop motion, despite what others may say or advise.  I am forever grateful to him for that.

I finally did get my own copy of Ray’s Film Fantasy Scrapbook, the same edition I had found in the library back in 1972.  Autographed, it is one of my most treasured possessions.  The book is dedicated to King Kong's creator, Willis H. O’Brien, “without whose inspiration and imagination the field of Fantasy Film making would have sadly suffered.”  The same can be said of the great Ray Harryhausen.

man ... Thank God there was Ray Harryhausen. Thank you for everything!!

I feel the same way as others who have posted here. Ray was an artist and a gentleman. I had the honor of meeting him, sharing an elevator twice :) , at Wonderfest in 2004. I sat in the row behind him at a screening of The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, what a great weekend. Most heroes seem smaller when seen in person; after meeting him Ray stood even taller in my eyes.

There are certain events where a person remembers where they were when they heard the news.. This was one of them. I was at work; My daughter called; she asked if I had been on the internet that day; I said no. There was a long silence; I was about to ask if she was still there when she whispered "Ray".  Without hesitation I replied " He died didn't he"? She said yes. I held it together and told her that I was glad that she was the one who told me. I went to my computer and pulled up the story. I'm not one to cry but I felt a wave of sadness and tears started to fill my eyes, it hurt. Part of my childhood, no my entire life had died. I've never felt this way ouside of the death of a relative. 

Thank you Ray for being  a master showman, a great inspiration,  and a gentleman.

Here is a picture from that weekend at Wonderfest. I've posted it before but I'll do it one last time

A category all by himself. Inspired legions of stopmotionists.

May God rest his beautiful soul and may he somehow realize how much he was appreciated.

I wrote this after my visit with Ray a couple of years ago:

TWO HOURS WITH A LEGEND

It was March 1, 2011. London, England. 

I arrived about fifteen minutes earlier than the scheduled time, so I waited outside for bit, taking in the atmosphere of the Kensington neighborhood.  It’s a quiet, upscale location, reeking of history and reminding me very much of Boston, the city in which I grew up.  I wanted to savor the moment, to get myself mentally prepared to spend some time with one of my true heroes and inspirations.  I stared at the black case that housed the Mighty Joe Young armature, wondering if it would bring Ray as much pleasure as it would bring to me by giving it to him.  Part of the fun was that Ray had no idea why I was there, so being able to surprise him with it made the visit even more exciting. 

As a Director of Photography for various television productions, I’m surrounded by A-list stars everyday.  I’m never star-struck or nervous.....I quickly outgrew that emotion many, many years ago.  But on this day, I was actually nervous.  Very nervous.  Ray’s influence on my art and my life is significant….no number of Nicholsons, DeNiros, or Scorceses have as much meaning for me.   I sat there thinking about all the magical moments of celluloid history that had been created by the gentleman who lived just over the hedge behind me.  I was awestruck.  THIS IS REALLY GOING TO HAPPEN.

The proper time was soon at hand, so I walked up the stairs to the doorway and was greeted by the smiling face of Tony Dalton, co-author with Ray of the many books they’ve released in the last few years.  “Ray will be down in a few minutes,” Tony told me.  He glanced at the black case that held the armature.  He smiled, knowing exactly what was inside of it.  He had helped to orchestrate this master plan to surprise Ray.  No sooner did I step in the door than Ray himself suddenly appeared.  He now walks with cane, but he still has the twinkle in his eye of man who is young beyond his years.   He happily shook my hand, now dwarfed by his giant mitt, which felt like it still had the strength to crush mine like an egg.  I tried to look around, to take in every inch of the classy Victorian style home, adorned with brass framed works of art everywhere, but I really couldn’t take my eyes off of Ray for very long.  He is so charismatic and charming that you feel guilty not to pay him 100% attention every second.   He quickly pointed out a new bronze sculpture that he had recently completed, and we then entered a sitting room of sorts.  Ray sat on chair by the window and I sat on a nearby couch.  I watched his eyes drop to the black case I was carrying, and then he looked up at me curiously.  

“Jeff has something to show you, Ray, but we can chat a bit first,” Tony said.  “It’s something I’ve been working on for a long time,” I said.  “I think it’s something you might be interested in,” I added.  Ray leaned back and raised an eyebrow.  Now he was very curious.  He stared at me, as if he was trying to figure out what this stranger in his home was up to. 

I don’t think any conversation with Ray could be considered “small talk,” but we chatted a bit about things that did not relate to his work.  He asked about my work and when he heard that I was from Las Vegas, he had a sly grin on his face.  “We used to take secret trips to Las Vegas when I lived in California.”  When I asked about what actually occurred during those trips, he replied, “Well, if I told you they wouldn’t be secret any more now would they?” We talked about CGI effects, the fast pace of editing in current films, that he had not seen the remake of “Clash of the Titans,” and he told me that Willis O’Brien was a very jolly man.  His daughter Vanessa soon joined us and she was just as warm and charismatic as her father.

Finally, Tony mentioned that I had something to show Ray.  I opened the black case towards Ray so that he could not see what was inside.  I lifted out the Joe armature, still blocked from his view.  Tony and Vanessa, however, could see it, and both gasped.  I stood up and handed the armature to Ray, who happily sat it on his lap as Tony began snapping photos. 

“It’s Joe!” he exclaimed.  He immediately started manipulating the various joints and I told him how true we had been to the original materials and measurements.  “No hitches in THESE joints!” he said.  He continued to pose and repose it, and finally settled on a pose in which the hands were resting on the hips.  “I don’t like that pose,” Vanessa said.  “Looks like he's waitin’ for a bus.  Put him in real Joe pose.”  Ray ignored her…..obviously no one, not even his daughter, could tell him what to do with an animation puppet. 

He continued to closely analyze the armature.  “I thought we had wire toes?  These are jointed.”  I told him that the design was based on the original armature that Bob Burns owns and that those toes were indeed jointed.  “Oh really,” he replied as he nodded his acceptance.  “We had stops in the body hinges to limit movement,” he added.  Well, he had me there.  I consciously left off the tiny pins that were later added to control the animation of the spine.   I explained that there was no documentation on the blueprints for accurate placement and since this armature was for display only, it looked and felt better without them.  Again he nodded his approval.  I was stunned that he would remember such a minor detail…..an indication that Ray was still as sharp as ever.

I shot a bit of video, Tony snapped a few more photos, and then Ray handed the armature back to me. “Excellent work.  Even better than the originals.  It would be a shame to ever cover it up,” he said.   I told Ray not to hand it back to me.  “That armature is yours Ray,” I said.  He looked at me incredulously.  “I didn’t fly 6000 miles just to show it to you.”  Again, he looked at me like I was crazy.  “Jeff made this for you, Ray,” Tony said. “Read the inscription on the base.”  The inscription reads: 

Presented to Mr. Ray Harryhausen, March 1, 2011 in memory of Jennifer

He smiled after reading it aloud.  “I loved Jennifer Jones.  They were making ‘Duel in the Sun’ at the same time nearby.  That’s why I called my favorite model Jennifer.”  Of course we all knew that, but it was great hearing Ray tell us again.

I explained to Ray that many years ago when I first met him at a convention (while he was holding Bob Burns’ Joe armature) he told me that everybody had a Mighty Joe Young armature but him.  That comment had stuck with me and I had always planned to recreate a perfect replica for him.  It took 15 years but it finally happened.  “I’m rarely speechless,” he said.  “Thank you.  Thank you.” He stared at me with his piercing blue eyes, which now were a bit watery.  “It’s my honor, Ray.”

We set Joe on coffee table and headed upstairs to the most magical office on the planet. It’s three flights up, and Ray now rides a chairlift that takes him up to the top.  “You two go on ahead.  I’ll be up in exactly eight minutes.  I’ve timed it,” Ray said.

Tony and I ascended the stairs and as soon as I entered the office, it seemed very familiar to me.  I’d seen it hundreds of times over the years in magazines and books.  I studied those photos over and over, hoping to get tiny bits of information about Ray’s models.  How big were they?  How were they constructed?  Now…..suddenly….I WAS HERE…… surrounded by the images that consumed my youth, all right at my fingertips.  The next half-hour was a blur to me…..a surreal experience to say the least.  Everywhere I looked was a legendary creature:  Gwangi, Trog, Medusa…….my brain was on overload. 

Ray finally strolled in.  “Eight minutes exactly,” he said smiling.  I wish I could remember everything we talked about but I simply cannot.  I was just too distracted by the treasures around me to make very many mental notes.   Here’s what I recall:  Most of the models show some evidence of decay, but they are all still in surprisingly good shape considering their age.  They cannot be re-posed, however, since the foam has now hardened and would crumble if bent.  One exception is the skeletons.  Tony handed me one and it moved beautifully.  I also rotated the body of one of the smaller flying saucers.  Ray’s dad had machined these on a lathe in various sizes, and it was as smooth as silk….amazing.  Ray has one special glass case that is filled to the brim with tributes from his fans, mostly sculptures of his famous creatures.  It’s clear that he does not take the devotion of his fans lightly.   It would appear that he saves everything.

Ray sat down at his desk and Tony told me an interesting story:  a talented fan had recently sent Ray a beautiful resin version of the Cyclops….probably the best interpretation of Ray’s creature that anyone has yet done.   When it arrived, it was badly damaged in transit.  A week later, Tony saw it on Ray’s desk with absolutely no sign that it had ever been broken into several pieces.  Ray had simply taken it into his workshop and fixed it.  I examined it closely and sure enough, it was flawless.  I looked at Ray and he gave me an expression as if to say:  “No big deal.”

It had been about two hours and I didn’t want to overstay my welcome, so it was time to go.  Back down on the first floor, I again shook Ray’s powerful hand and gave him a hug goodbye.  His daughter Vanessa also gave me hug and they all expressed their gratitude for the gift.  I glanced at the Joe armature, still in the “waitin’ for a bus" pose, and I was finally relaxed enough to contemplate the fact that it was now in its rightful place:  in the home of the man who brought its twin brother to life.

I remember little of the flight home from London to Las Vegas.  Whatever occurred in those hours took a back seat to reliving my time with Ray over and over again in my head.  I was honored to be allowed to give back something special to someone who has given so much inspiration to countless generations of filmmakers and fans. 

Now, this is purely my fantasy, but I often envision Ray sitting at his desk after everyone has gone to bed…..endlessly putting Joe through many of the old and perhaps even a few new poses.  The now immobile foam puppets look on as Ray’s masterful hands continue to work their magic into the wee hours of the morning……. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Maureen Z replied to John Horabin's discussion Trailer for our latest independent film: Jolly Girl
"This looks great! I'll have to keep my eye for it. Are those replacement mouths or clay that…"
7 hours ago
Devin Pingree replied to Devin Pingree's discussion Tie downs (magnets)
"Thanks. I'll look into those suggestions."
yesterday
GameYan Studio posted a video

Montilla Cartoon Character Rigging Animation in Maya Modeling Tutorial Video For Short CGI Film

Montilla - Cartoon Characters Reimagined As Realistic 3D Animation 3D Character Development - Modelling, Animation, Texturing, Rigging, Simulation, Lipsync, ...
Saturday
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Simon Tytherleigh's discussion Time-lapse BTS shots
"Yes, the Boxtrolls was brilliant - the 'unseen hand' and all that existential musing.…"
Friday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}