Really sad news from Twitter:

The Harryhausen family regret to announce the death of Ray Harryhausen

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ray-and-Diana-Harryhausen-Founda...

RIP Ray.

Views: 1867

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like everyone else, I was saddened by the news when I read it earlier today. The man was a pioneer, a genius, an inspiration, a magician to many generations and millions of people, and the reason so many of us have taken up this craft.

Every so often, when I think I finally have a grasp on this stop motion thing, I remind myself how much I have to learn by watching one of Ray's movies. It continues to amaze me how, while the films may be incredibly dated with their wardrobes, hair, and slightly funky film colors, his work continues to stand on it's own.

Even with modern technology and conveniences available (computers, frame grabbers, and live playback), his seven skeleton fight sequence would be incredibly impressive. To think he did it without them is beyond comprehension.

Thank you Uncle Ray.

Like only a few people before him, Ray's impact on motion pictures automatically makes his passing an end of an epoch. He lived to see everything he worked on become enthusiastically received by succeeding generations of fans.  Walt Disney must have had some idea of how his life's work had affected people, and so did Ray. A friend met with Ray at a convention in London in the 1980s and had him sign my copy of the scrapbook for me. How lucky I am to have this, how lucky we all are to have been able to see and enjoy his work.

Hard Day,  felt some thing wierd all day , got home and read the news. Ray was the only person i ever wanted a autograph from and a few years back i was able to meet him, super sweet person. He will always be in my thoughts.

be well all.

I was beyond devastated to hear the news. So much so, in fact, it drew me back to this forum after years of being inactive (unfortunately I don't remember my old login so I created a new one). Some of the older members (Strider/Jim Applegate/Nick Hillgloss, if you're all still here, you come to mind) may remember me (if I am not giving myself too much credit) as one of the overzealous young kids who wanted to be a modern Ray Harryhausen. I remember sparking a few large threads about the man and his craft. It's a subject all who knew and loved his work could appreciate. It speaks to the legacy this great man forged for himself one frame at a time. 

I was lucky enough to meet Ray when he spoke in Richmond, VA back in '06. I am very happy I did. First, I was able to get off my chest how much I appreciated the work he has done and second, articulate how it has inspired me to pursue filmmaking (though at the time, I wanted to be a stop-motion animator like him). Not to mention, his humility was truly genuine. And even at the age of 86, the spark was still in his eye. You could see the love he had for his craft and for all those who loved him for it. I have no doubt that glimmer was there to the very end. 

He is one of my heroes. No doubt many of yours as well. I am always deeply saddened to hear of the loss of anyone in this generation (my grandparents are part of the "Greatest Generation" so, it's a soft spot) but to lose a person who helped expand my own imagination, is truly crippling. 

Here's to the man with the animated life and to all of ours that have been enriched because of him. Rest in peace, Mr. Ray Harryhausen. We will miss you. 

With Love and Admiration, 

Anthony 

I know I wouldn't be where I am today without you Ray. Say hi to Ray Bradbury for us, we'll miss you.

one of the coolest thing about ray was that he lived long enough to become a legend within his own lifetime and see what he meant to so many people. that is a rare thing. i take comfort in knowing that he really did know and appreciate how important he was to so many of us, and that he was so gracious about it. i found this quote today:

"I'm very happy that so many young fans have told me that my films have changed their lives. That's a great compliment. It means I did more than just make entertaining films. I actually touched people's lives -- and, I hope, changed them for the better." -Ray Harryhausen

I cried most of the evening when i heard, had planned to go back and see him in June, the world feels so empty now hes gone :-(

The Dream-like quality you see in his performances, that's his spirit living beyond space and time, and it will continue to thrive as long we honor him with our craft. Thank You Ray Harryhausen for all the awesome monster nightmares!!!

Saw this post on Slashdot, thought it was pretty funny:

If we keep repositioning his body while everyone is blinking, maybe nobody will be able to tell he's actually dead.

The man......HE WILL LIVE FOREVER.....

jriggity

I feel sorry for the kids today who won't know what we had in our childhoods: a unique inspiration who challenged us to be the best artists we could be. Like Da Vinci and Mozart, he was unique in the truest way: his kind will never pass this way again.

R.I.P. Gustav

- David Rosler

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Ron Cole's discussion A Bit Of Realistic Stopmo In a Live Action Short
"Your work is great, just as I expected. Nice to get a better view and have time to take in the…"
Sunday
Angus Lamont posted a discussion
Saturday
Angus Lamont posted a video

Harryhausen100 Tribute Short Film (Teaser Trailer)

Teaser trailer for my upcoming personal tribute to animator, Ray Harryhausen! Due for release around May/June of this year! Music by Kevin Macleod and Alexan...
Saturday
Ed Riccardi posted a photo
Saturday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}