Really sad news from Twitter:

The Harryhausen family regret to announce the death of Ray Harryhausen

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ray-and-Diana-Harryhausen-Founda...

RIP Ray.

Views: 1859

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We knew this day had to come at some point, that he couldn't go on much longer, and yet it's still devastating. The world feels a little emptier for the loss. Such a warm human presence as well as a great talent and great man. 

Ray achieved almost all you can achieve with stop motion. I am willing to bet he died a very satisfied man. He touched so many people. Even if you didn't like his style - you have to admit he gave many people reasons to create their own films. His inspiration will love on forever.

Although I never had the honor of meeting Ray in person, I can honestly say that his art is what brought my imagination to life. The world will be a lonelier place without him. R.I.P. Uncle Ray?
I was so sad to hear the news about Ray this morning. He is the reason I'm studying stop motion animation. He will be truly missed!

I don't know what I can add to this, it will take a while for it to sink in.  An inspiration not only to all stop motion animators but the whole special effects industry.   Seeing his films is certainly what got me hooked on stop motion.  Very few live as long a life as well lived, and almost none are as appreciated and in demand in their later years.  

I remember thinking just a year ago what a poorer place the world was when Ray Bradbury died at the age of 91.  Now, almost a year to the day later, his best friend Ray Harryhausen has joined him.

It would be hard to find another pair who made the world such an interesting place for me to live in.

The legacy of the two will live on a long long time.   I guess I will be watching 'Jason and the Argonauts' tonight, along with I suspect a lot of other folks.

... jbd

There were loads of touching comments on Twitter, but one of my favourites was this by the critic and author Kim Newman:

Kim Newman It now takes 500 pixel-wranglers to do what Ray Harryhausen did better single-handed.

It is also a mark of how iconic Ray Harryhausen is that his death has been announced on the homepage of a major British newspaper, The Guardian:

It's the kind of media treatment reserved for movie megastars or high-profile directors, so as sad as the news is for those of us who didn't know him personally (it is, of course, an entirely different thing for family members and personal friends) it's tremendously touching, cheering even, to see how respected and loved he was and is.

RIP Ray, we'll never see your like again.

I've been posting about Ray's passing over on Facebook since I learned of it today but, I put off posting here on SMA until now because somehow I knew posting here would be harder. In short, I am crushed. I learned of Ray's passing while animating a Dynamation style shot on the film 'Legend of the Golden Fishcake' and I felt that there was nothing more appropriate I could be doing when that moment came.

I've spent the bulk of my career trying to follow in Ray's footsteps and especially in the past 4 years or so, it's been my total focus - having done the bulk of the stop motion on 'Sinbad the Fifth Voyage'. I will confess to having fantasized what Ray might think when eventually he would see that film but sadly, that time will never come.

When Ray was turning 90 years old, I was proud to push for a group of stop motion animators to shoot short tribute films to send to Ray to celebrate that birthday. Many pushed hard to get it done and I was thrilled to send that DVD and a birthday card with all our signatures on it to him. Today I took a photo of the puppet I made for my film in that compilation to reflect how we all feel on this day...Thanks for all the dreams you gave us Uncle Ray, I will miss you forever.

A sad, sad day. Thank you for always inspiring us, you will be missed Uncle Ray. 

No words, just heavy sadness.

Thanks Ray for bringing life to all those wonderful creatures one frame at a time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Devin Pingree replied to Devin Pingree's discussion Tie downs (magnets)
"Thanks. I'll look into those suggestions."
15 hours ago
GameYan Studio posted a video

Montilla Cartoon Character Rigging Animation in Maya Modeling Tutorial Video For Short CGI Film

Montilla - Cartoon Characters Reimagined As Realistic 3D Animation 3D Character Development - Modelling, Animation, Texturing, Rigging, Simulation, Lipsync, ...
Saturday
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Simon Tytherleigh's discussion Time-lapse BTS shots
"Yes, the Boxtrolls was brilliant - the 'unseen hand' and all that existential musing.…"
Friday
StopmoNick replied to Simon Tytherleigh's discussion Time-lapse BTS shots
"Trying to remember, might have been every 2 minutes.  So  I think there is more than one…"
Friday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}