Hey guys, 

Im new here and this is my first post so be gentle =3. Im looking to do a simple, 1-3 min (roughly) stop motion "exercise" just to see what I can do. I've made the storyboard, am attempting an anamatic and I am almost ready to start making the real thing but I've come across a few problems with making the puppet.

First up, Ive ordered a bunch of stainless steel balls and rods and feel fairly confident with creating my own armature. the other thing I need to mention is that I only want to make replaceable hands and a head out of silicone. moving on.

I went out to buy the materials for sculpting, moulding and casting the puppet at Barnes in Australia and ended up buying Monster clay for the sculpting and some soft Chavant clay + Ultracal for the mould making process but I had some issues with the casting. First off i checked out the platsil gel-10 and gel-00 which I always planed to make the puppet from but the test slab that they had seemed very porous compared to what i had seen online, I was just wondering if that was due to people messing around with it or will smooth sculpts come out porous with platsil. Then i went and checked out the pigments which would have ended up costing more than the silicone itself and was a tad bit confused on what to do. So i started talking to the shop owner and he suggested using this stuff http://www.barnes.com.au/polyurethane/f15-1323. It was cheaper than the silicone and so were the pigments for it but I was wondering if it would be to stiff for a puppet and also how hard it would be to pigment it seeing that it was already tinted "light amber". 

Thanks in advance and look forward to a whole bunch more questions =3.

Views: 784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Platsil Gel-10 and gel 00 should not come out porous. I have used both from Barnes (Melbourne). It may be that they mixed in a lot of air when mixing the silicone,
And because it was only to make a slab as a sample, they didn't worry about that.
I haven't tried making puppets from a solid urethane rubber, it would depend on how soft and flexible it is. I can see on the label it says Shore A 15, which is a bit firmer that the Shore A 10 of the Platsil Gel-10. I prefer the softer 00, or Smooth-On's Ecoflex 00-30 for my puppet heads, but 10 will do. Cant say what 15 would be like without trying it. I think Ron Cole in NY has made larger sized puppet head skins from urethane - the heads were close to the size you would want to slip a hand into, but in this case were fitted with complex cable mechanisms. So they were hollow skins, not solid lumps poured into a mould with the armature inside. (Search Youtube for "In The Fall of Gravity" to see them in action) . The urethane certainly worked for that. I'm not so sure with a smaller puppet head. It would definitely work for hands, fingers are thinner and don't need to be so soft to bend easily without springing back. I often make hands by building up liquid latex over the wires, and they animate fine.
Pigments for silicone can be costly partly because you are buying containers bigger than you need. You don't need much, if you are mixing a flesh tone you only want about as much as would sit on the nail of your little finger for white and yellow, and only as much red as would cling to the head of a sewing pin if you dipped it in is plenty. A similar amount of black or blue to make it less of a bright pastel shade. That would colour all of you Part B in a 500g Platsil kit. If you happen to be in Melbourne I could give you some small samples, I have plenty.

I was actually going to use Ron Coles guide to make my puppet head (http://s275.photobucket.com/user/IsomerW/library/cable%20tutorial?s...) but i was going to use a mechanism similar to the one in your Macro Pollo and the Synchronic Articulator vid instead of cables. Heres the picture I was working off for the head mechanism http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/4/158282/2144926/mech.jpg. Sadly i live in Sydney but I'm going on holidays to Melbourne soon =3. As for the material, I'm probably going to see if i can get a smaller sample of the Polyurethane, if not, ill just save up and stick to silicone. Honestly, I was just wondering if anyone had tried it because it seems far cheaper than silicone. 

If it is a bigger head with a hollow skin, then the urethane might well work.  

I've only done that approach for larger scale - human head size or half size - animatronic type things, not for stop motion.  I used to just use slush cast liquid latex skin, and sculpt in wrinkles that helped the latex bend in the right places.  Then I did a couple in foam latex, using a mould with a core like in Ron's tutorial.  

The old Cosgrove Hall Wind in the Willows puppets used hollow foam latex heads cast in a core mould, because they needed to be able to replace the skins as they started to show wear.  I helped out casting puppet heads when they did a foam run while I was visiting (long time ago) so I saw exactly how it worked.  There were little shapes in the core to create hollows in the inside of the skin where the paddles would fit - they got a drop of glue to secure them but they already fitted into the right spot.   

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Dawn Brown replied to Simon Tytherleigh's discussion Testing the 3D printable winders
"This is wonderful! Very informative. Thanks for making the video and sharing your…"
4 hours ago
Mozen posted a discussion
17 hours ago
Ethan Bartholomae replied to Matthew Bradley's discussion Silicone painting with 'Tinsil Gel 10'.
"If you do search out silicone caulk to use be careful of the type that you get, there's…"
yesterday
Simon Tytherleigh posted a discussion

Testing the 3D printable winders

Here is a quick video I made to compare two winders, one with an all-metal rack and the other which…See More
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}