Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using the products from Berkey Systems for rigging on their stop motion sets?

I really like how these products look but was wondering if anyone has used them? Whether using C-stands or overhanging stands, trying to use a ball and socket rig to cover a long distance causes the rig to bounce and take forever to settle before taking a photo. These blocks and tubes seem like they would be a lot sturdier to rig from. Bottom video shows a stop motion production for "Mcdonalds." At 1:24 the overhead rigging system is used and it looks AMAZING!!!!

http://store.berkeysystem.com/kits-efx-1/

Image result for boxtrolls rigging berkey

http://www.berkeysystem.com/im-lovin-it/

Views: 400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen Brian Berkey use his system on dozens of commercials. It's more rigid and solid than ordinary grip equipment like c-stands. I've never seen it animated though. I've heard that he's sold a lot to Laika. Maybe someone else here can vouch for that.

Edited to add: I'm only familiar with his system of blocks and rods, not the camera accessories. The 15mm and up through the 700 series. 

Yea this stuff looks AMAZING! Laika is using it in some of the pictures I found. That’s what got me interested. I saw they were rigging puppets in the air using these sturdy rods and blocks and then ball and socket rigging arms from those. I am interested in how they are using the winders since the blocks only accept the rods, seeing that the rack is square.

What commercials besides the McDonald’s one have you seen?!

These are some of the parts that Laika uses. They customize everything there, but this seems to be the foundation for many rigs.

I worked on commercials in the 1990s with Brian Berkey. These were so-called table top live action shoots like food photography and other product type shots. Keep in mind that the Berkey system is for quick small scale rigging prob!ems. Stop motion hobbyists might find it too expensive and even less convenient than screw guns and hot glue 

Looks like great gear, at a great price. I suppose if one does not mind using 15mm rods as opposed to the 6mm in Berkey's system, the clamps etc sold for camera rigs might do the job as well. There are a lot of Chinese versions on eBay at prices for independents.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Duane Petrie replied to Ron Cole's discussion Ron Cole's Realistic Stop Motion Special Effects Services
"EDIT - I should rephrase this. Sorry Ron, if that question sounded intrusive -- I realized in…"
1 hour ago
Duane Petrie replied to Ron Cole's discussion Ron Cole's Realistic Stop Motion Special Effects Services
"Hey since Greguy replied recently I'm going to consider this thread not-dead, and I have to…"
3 hours ago
Duane Petrie replied to Duane Petrie's discussion *Emerges from underground covered in dust* *Blinks blindly at the sun* ..."Hello is anyone still here??"
"Hey Simon! Nice to meetcha! I was able to do some poking around and confirmed what you said about…"
3 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Duane Petrie's discussion *Emerges from underground covered in dust* *Blinks blindly at the sun* ..."Hello is anyone still here??"
"Hi there, and welcome back. I think I became a regular here after you moved on, and have likewise…"
12 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}