Dear people,

(probably not entirely a newbie but this seems a good place to ask basic questions)

I'm planning a new small project. Since it was a few years ago I did something with stopmotion I decided to test a few things before hand.

I got all set-up and shot a small test with an old Dalek toy I had laying around. So I animated it by taken shots with my camera, imported in my software, added some sound and was done in a few hours.

But as you can see I have some lighting issues. Half way and in the end there are some frames that has more light exposure then the rest. Tomorrow I will try again but am wondering what went wrong? Is it just that the light that shined on the camera lessened because of the Dalek or has it to do with my camera? I put all AUTO setting off, work with a fixed ISO setting and so on.

So if anyone has some pointers for me I would really be grateful :)

Cheers

Gerard "DoubleG"

Views: 211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What make and model of camera are you using?  And what lens?

@Nick: I use a Digital Still Camera DSC-WX500. it comes with Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 30x Optical Zoom Lens equivalent to 24-720mm. The lens is integrated. I know I should probably upgrade to a Canon DSLR or such but I will have to wait until my birthday next year :)

The camera you have probably doesn't allow full manual control, and seems to be adjusting exposure automatically for when the dalek is on or off the set. You could try a test where you have a bright empty frame and then put a large dark object in view. If you can prevent the camera from altering the exposure, then you have solved your issue. 

You might be able to fiddle it a bit in post if you can't override the camera. It is possible to lift the exposure in Photoshop and after effects, but it is tricky to get it right.

Simon, in the setting of the camera I now use, the exposure and aperture can only be changed manually. So that can't be be it.

I agree, and am doing now tests and that seems to go ok. In the end of next week I should have finished my new small project and I hope that I got rid of the lighting issue.here.

In the end we have to accept that none of these cameras were designed to be used for stopmotion, so we have to overcome all those clever helpful things the manufacturers add to make ordinary use of their cameras as easy as possible.

Having said that, the picture your camera takes looks to be good. Amazing what these modern lenses can do.

Dear all,

So I finally finished my new small project. What do you thin how my lighting worked out?
I'm quite enthusiastic about it but am probably not critical enough?

NB The clip was made for the Loopdeloop.org challenge, "Power"

The lighting was very constant, so you have evidently solved the camera issues. I think you might want to consider the placing of your lights a bit. The brightest part of the frame is where the viewer's gaze gets directed, and this seems to be somewhere above the waste bin. It might be good to bring it forward towards the camera, so the rat becomes brighter and the shadows are not towards the camera. Lots of YouTube videos on lighting, they might help.

Although I wanted to light the ominous waste bin, you are probably right that the rat could be lit up better. I will remember that lighting the propagandist is also very if not most important. I'm now planning on a small clip having to do with Halloween and will look at the lighting better but I first need some rest :)

One trick to get more light is to use a reflector board. This can lighten shadows without introducing the problems you get with a second light source, such as extra shadows in the wrong place.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}