Hi everyone. Looking at the crazy prices that Canon charges for their high-end power supplies for their dslr's, I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with third party power supply kits.  They are usually in the $15-25 range and are not detected by the camera and they usually feel pretty cheap on the eye and hand.   Should I dish out the MANY extra $ for the Canon version?

Any ideas or recommendations?  

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use a cheap power supply for my 5D and aside from it not being recognised by the camera or dragon frame on start up it has been problem free. Had it for around a year.

Thanks Tony.  So no problems with the work flow.  Do you have a link to the one you bought?  

I think I'm leaning toward this one from Germany: http://amzn.to/1agFHG1

I have the expensive Canon power supply for my 40d, but when I looked at some more recent EOS models, I realised none of them use that power unit, I would be up for that as well as the camera body. (It has some issues with hot pixels, and dirt on the sensor and I need to work out if it can be fixed, or will get replaced before I do the next professional work.) At the time I got it, the power adapter for the entry level 3-digit models was not the same as the one for the mid range 2-digit models like the 40d, and I'm not sure if the high end cameras like the 1d Mk 11 used yet another one... So does the 5d use the same AC power adapter as the 600d?
What does it mean, the 3rd party power unit is not recognised by the camera? Does the camera work anyway? And why would Dragonframe need to recognise the power adapter?
Just to clarify. I think most of the EOS range have their own specific battery. I know my Original 5D had different batteries to the 5D MK11.

I can't remember who manufactured the third party one I have , but I bought it on eBay for about £25 . It works fine, though when you first turn the camera on it says something like "battery not recognised do you want tu use this battery" you just select "ok" and it works fine. When you connect to dragonframe a warning on the screen tells you that you should use a power supply (presumably dragonframe thinks you have a standard battery in the camera) I just press escape ESC and the warning disappears.

Very occasionally my live view will stop and an error message will appear on the back of the camera. I just turn the camera off and then on again and it works as normal. This has happened maybe three or four times in over a year of filming.

I would guess Nick that the 600d and the 5d use different batteries/power supplies.

At the school I teach we have the 60d, and the 5d that someone brings in.  They both take the same adaptor.  The smaller prosumer cameras (rebel etc) take a smaller one and it's much cheaper to get the canon version (I quess this is where the 600d falls in?). 

I think I'd pay the extra money for a genuine canon adaptor for the high-end cameras, only if I lived in the US. Prices here in Europe however can be up to twice as high and it's very prohibitive.

Thanks for clarifying Tony!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Greyguy replied to Greyguy's discussion 8" armature for sale
"was going to leave the wire fingers of but maybe add a ball joint jawwell I can add them I suppose…"
10 hours ago
"yes the knee and elbow have the same geometry to bend right up and they have a stop so when the…"
19 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Greyguy's discussion 8" armature for sale
"Interesting curve above the knee, to allow the knee to bend further.  And nice hip design too.…"
yesterday
"this is not the final armature but it will be for sale just little changes to hips and chest and…"
Friday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}