Would love to see what Stop-Motion Animated features and shorts you have acquired on DvD (and VHS..) over the years.

Here's my humble collection:

• Bitter Films Volume Two - Don Hertzfeldt 2006 - 20011 (2012)
  • Fimfárum (2002)
  • Fimfárum 2 (2006)
  • Fimfarum: The Third Time Lucky 3D (2011)  
  • The Fox & The Chickadee (2012)
  • Toys In The Attic (Na Pude) (2012)
  • Peter & The Wolf (2006)
  • Ray Harryhausen Presents: The Pit and the Pendulum (2007)
  • Phantom Museums: The Short Films of the Quay Brothers (2007)
  • Four Short Films - Robert Morgan 1997 - 2004 
  • The Complete Works of Yuri Nostein 1968 - 1975

Views: 843

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great idea for a thread, and a very nice collection - though it's just in its infancy you've got a good selection of European and Eurostyle films there! 

I ended up taking pics from above the same as you did, to get rid of the glare!

Mine were scattered all around the house, mostly in piles - I had to go around and gather them together (I'm sure I missed a few - in fact somewhere I have the entire collection of Rankin-Bass holiday specials on DVD). And I'm not including VHS (except When Dinos).

Top is my Harryhausen/ O'Brien/ Danforth stuff (some ended up in the wrong places). They no longer fit all in one section like that - need to do a little reorganizing somehow. Top down, then left to right:

• When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (VHS)
  • One Million Years BC
  • The Black Scorpion
  • 20 Million Miles to Earth
  • Clash of the Titans
  • 7th Voyage
  • Jason
  • 3 worlds of Gulliver
  • Moon Zero Two/ When Dinos DVD double whammy (no stopmo in Moon Zero 2)
  • 20 Million Miles
  • Harryhausen; The Early Years
  • Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
  • Gwangi
  • The Sinbad DVD Collection
  • Kong DVD box set
  • King Kong Blu-Ray

Looks like there's a few dupes - I might be able to squeeze them all into the space provided if I remove the extras, or maybe I need to move Danforth as well.

Middle - sorry these are slightly out of focus! This is my American stopmo stuff that isn't Harryhausen O'Brien or Danforth. From left to right:

• Puppetoons Movie
  • The Gate 2
  • The Gate
  • Dragonslayer
  • I, Madman
  • Robot Jox
  • Willow
  • Caveman (oops - Danforth!)
  • Laserblast
  • Flesh Gordon
  • Robocop trilogy
  • James & The Giant Peach
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • Howard the Duck
  • L'Animateur
  • Good Riddance & A Bunch of Fives
  • Mary & Max
  • Davie & Golimyr
  • Madame Tutli-Putli
  • Peter & The Wolf
  • Frank Zappa's Dub Room Special (includes loads of great Bickford stuff from Cas'l)
  • Monster Road
  • Prometheus' Garden
  • Nightmare Before Christmas 3D
  • Coraline 3D
  • ParaNorman 3D

Hmm ok, so a few non-American ones slipped in there. Need to re-organize slightly. Nick, how should I categorize you? Where are you from originally? Somewhere I've got Ron's In the Fall of Gravity too, that needs to be in there.

Bottom pic:

• Ivan Caprino Box set
  • Jack Frost
  • Rudolph
  • Peter Cottontail
  • Jesus the Miracle Maker
  • Jiri Trnka Film Works vol 1
  • Fimfarum 3 (got the others somewhere)
  • In The Attic, original Czech version
  • Kihachiro Kawamoto Film Works
  • The Puppet Films of Jiri Trnka
  • The undecipherable ones are Ceska Animace and Ceska Animace, Nova Generace (Czech Animation and Czech Animation, the New Generation). The original series includes Trnka and Jiri Barta and Bretislav Pojar, the Nova Generace series is what went on to become Fimfarum
  • One Night, One City (later subtitled in English and re-released as Fimfarum 2)
  • Dinosaurs, Dragons & Drama (Danforth's digital book - wrong shelf again!)
  • The Fables of Starevitch
  • Tale of the Fox (Starevitch)
  • Magic World of Ladislas Satevitch
  • Svankmajer The Complete Short Films
  • Quay Bothers, The Short Films

I missed listing The Lost World and It Came From Beneath the Sea, which are in the top pic. Also, I think I can keep Nick's films where they are - I realized it's not about whether they're American or not but from English-speaking countries. His films feel more American/British/Australian as opposed to the central or eastern European stuff, and the Quays, while being Americans displaced to England (much like Ray) do work that feels much more Euro. So my grouping has more to do with whether they feel Euro or not. 

Another mistake! I was in too big of a hurry to check closely, and posted the wrong info for some of the Japanese discs:

The one on the left is Svet Jiriho Trnky, Kratky Filmy #1 (Don't know what Svet means, but Kratky Filmy is Short Films in Chech). Then it's Nova Generace 1 & 2, Ceske Animace 1, then volumes 2 & 3 of Svet Jiriho Trnky, Kratky Filmy, and finally Nova Generace 3. 

It's really good of Columbia to put little pictures on the spines of these discs! Helps keep them truly international so even if you don't savy the lingo you can tell what's on it. 

Now that's a collection! Thanks for sharing Strider, how daunting.

I've actually been trying to acquire One Night In City after seeing it online, which I see you have. I enjoy the short stories in it / Puppet style much more than the Fimfárum ones.

Also been on the lookout for a more well rounded Jan Švankmajer compilation release, similar to the Quay Brothers one. None have really positive reviews on Amazon.

Actually surprised we don't have more overlap, with your library of Stop-Motion!

Wait - I thought One Night in One City became Fimfarum 2? Or am I wrong about that? It's been a long time since I looked at either - I need to check on that. 

Svankmajer The Complete Short Films is his best collection of - well, shorts. I believe it's the only really complete collection - there've been a lot of partial ones over the years. It's made by BFI in the UK. Being in Australia, I think you can watch DVDs from the UK, right? If not, just pop it in your computer and watch using VLC - it recognizes no region coding and will play any region disc with no limitations. 

I believe they just came out within a year of each other and share Jan Balej - But stylistically quite different. I'd say One Night in One City was considerably darker.

Yeah, been procrastinating over it for a while since getting such a well compiled Quay compilation (can't recommend it highly enough), but I think I'll just go ahead and purchase it now. Thanks for the recommendation!

No problem with regions, my home setup is a NAS wirelessly connected to a projector which plays all formats. Does go through VLC for the most part.

Wow, nice setup!! 

I must be mis-remembering about the connection between One Night One City and Fimfarum - but I'm sure there's a connection between it and something else I've got - probably one of the Nova Generace discs. 

(And I just realized - Duh! With all the European discs you've got, you must have some way to watch discs from other regions already! Sometimes I do miss the obvious.)

Haha, i'm sure i'd mis-remember much more with a collection as extensive as yours.

Do let us know if you find the connection. Love those anthology style films.

Looking forward to seeing more collections as people get around to it!

Ok yeah, it looks like Ceske Animace, Nova Generace (Czech animation, the new generation) #3 is essentially identical to One Night in City, except that the Nova Generace disc includes a couple of cartoon animated films in addition to the stopmotion ones. And I think one of the stopmo films did end up on Fimfarum 2. Here's a very enlarged picture from the back of Nova Generace 3:

Most of the stopmo ones are definitely from 1 Night (etc), except for the one showing a man and several children standing in a doorway - I believe that one is included on Fimfarum 2. Do you recognize any of the others being from Fimfarum 2? (Maybe the ones on the bottom?)

Below are some pics from 1 Night in City:

Which can be seen enlarged here: http://filmcenter.cz/cz/film/detail/401-jedne-noci-v-jednom-meste

And you're right about 1 Night being much darker, both in tone and in actual light levels, than the Fimfarum material. 

Ah! Thanks for posting! Not sure if it's the scan quality or the footage was remastered for One Night in One City, looks quite grainy there.

I'll have to 'Czech' that one out.

Are you talking about the top picture? If so, it's because it was a very tiny picture on the back of the DVD case - I had to enlarge it to about 6 times its actual size, and I also had to really push the exposure in Lightroom to make it easier to see (my picture looked really really dark). 

It's hard to get a lot of light on shiny paper and avoid glare - I find it best to use very indirect lighting coming in at an acute angle which makes for a pretty dark initial image, and then push it in Lightroom's Develop module. Which looks decent until and unless you also have to enlarge it many times its actual size!

Trust me, the actual films themselves look much better - probably just as good as in One Night. 

Yes, well that explains it.

Definitely will be sure to round it up and czech it out then!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Youp Zondag's discussion Test shots for new short
"Good luck with your shoot! One thing I noticed, you had a fairly shallow depth of field in a couple…"
13 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Alonso Soriano's discussion Cosclay
"I watched a couple of videos, including this one:…"
13 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Alonso Soriano's discussion Cosclay
"I have seen a couple of flexible modelling materials before, and they were actually pretty firm.…"
15 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Ben Young's discussion Armature and Casting advice for movable animal ears
"Ox animation is full of life!  Kind of like an eager puppy, which I wasn't expecting with…"
15 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}