Use this space to tell everyone about yourself and your interest in stop motion animation.

Views: 11416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello there,

i am a Media Art and Design Student from Germany.
This semester me an my friend want to make a short animation, even though we know next to nothing about Stop Motion Animation.
My believe is that you learn the fastest and most effective if you just dive right in and give it your all. So i've been scouring the internet (especially so this site) for weeks to learn the basics and have come to the conclusion that i'll probably never be able to absorb all the knowledge that is collected here. (Good god, it's a lot.)

I am very excited to see where this project will lead me. I can already tell that i'm in love with this very traditional hands on way of creating an animation.

Wish me luck :)

Welcome! I'm new to both the art and the website myself, so I'll be learning along with you. Good luck!

Welcome guys.  I wish you good luck with your project.  It does take your all to get something together.  I find I am more likely to make an animation if I just dive right in and give it your all, as you say.  It is a big learning experience, especially just setting up all the basic equipment to get started...there are a few great characters on this site that will give you lots of guidance and support....if you need it.  I went bit ocd over the top when I started.  Asking a million and one questions lol yeah just dive in and get started your half way there.  I think so many of us are procrastinators of one kind of another, there are always excuses or reasons we can come up with not to do it or give up.  It does take ABC OR XYZ or whatever you want to call it to start, process and result. ...but yeah good luck guys... I hope you stick with it, I plan to get back into it...since the Stopmojam challenge I have turned somewhat into a bit of a vegetable state lol. what are we waiting for hey.  just do it.  I hope you find what creative process works for you... 

James.            

MotionNovice said:

Hello there,

This semester me an my friend want to make a short animation, even though we know next to nothing about Stop Motion Animation.
My believe is that you learn the fastest and most effective if you just dive right in and give it your all. So i've been scouring the internet (especially so this site) for weeks to learn the basics and have come to the conclusion that i'll probably never be able to absorb all the knowledge that is collected here. (Good god, it's a lot.)

I am very excited to see where this project will lead me. I can already tell that i'm in love with this very traditional hands on way of creating an animation.

Hello Joshua, thanks for the welcome.
I'm looking forward to see where we will be in a few months time.
Good luck to you too!

Joshua Bartels said:

Welcome! I'm new to both the art and the website myself, so I'll be learning along with you. Good luck!

Thank you for the welcome, James.

Oh i completely understand you since i have to really restrain myself from posting any question without doing some extensive research beforehand.
And the procrastination problem is the very reason i blindly dive into projects with insane deadlines. I think every creative soul tends to have a severe case of procrastination from time to time.
I hope you'll find your motivation to get back to it!

James Krysa said:

Welcome guys.  I wish you good luck with your project.  It does take your all to get something together.  I find I am more likely to make an animation if I just dive right in and give it your all, as you say.  It is a big learning experience, especially just setting up all the basic equipment to get started...there are a few great characters on this site that will give you lots of guidance and support....if you need it.  I went bit ocd over the top when I started.  Asking a million and one questions lol yeah just dive in and get started your half way there.  I think so many of us are procrastinators of one kind of another, there are always excuses or reasons we can come up with not to do it or give up.  It does take ABC OR XYZ or whatever you want to call it to start, process and result. ...but yeah good luck guys... I hope you stick with it, I plan to get back into it...since the Stopmojam challenge I have turned somewhat into a bit of a vegetable state lol. what are we waiting for hey.  just do it.  I hope you find what creative process works for you... 

James.            

MotionNovice said:

Hello there,

Hey Joshua,

the birth announcement video for your son was absolutely adorable!
I'm really looking forward to see what you'll create for your daughter with your new knowledge.

Cheers to you and your growing family

Joshua Bartels said:

Hello, fellow creatives! I have been involved in video production for the past five years now. A few years ago when my first son was to be born, my wife and I brainstormed ideas for a birth announcement video. The winning idea was to use the stuffed animals we had purchased for our boy as characters in the film. Having only a Panasonic Lumix GH2 and After Effects, I shot my first ever stop motion animation. You can find it here. While it is by no means an excellent piece, it piqued my interest in the art. Now, expecting our third child, we decided it was time to play catch up and make a short stop motion animation film for our daughter. That decision led me to research the best methods and techniques for animation - leading me down a rabbit hole that I have been gladly lost in for a few weeks now. I just got Dragonframe this past week and hope to get started with some animation tests in the next few weeks.

I've already learned a ton from this group and expect to learn much more. Thanks for contributing. 

Hello All,

Spent the last month emptying my bank account for gear

Been a big fan of stop motion from a young age think morph (bbc tony hart). I spent the last 4 years in the 3d world doing various game level design and got sick of how strict it is, was also spending way too much time away from my 9-year-old daughter. So I decided to get my hands dirty with stop motion and also get my daughter involved as she is a big fan of wallace & gromit, shaun the sheep and most of Tim Burtons films not to mention Laika. She also has a talent for creating small things

Bought the canon 1200d, smp and a few lamps and of course a table to work on. Now moving on to proper lenses as the canon kit lens is useless. The next step is to get the armature I bought built to the right scale (it is a 1/7 and we need less than half of that, a bit of a mission but doable). Also a long term musician and have a decent studio set-up (be it compact) for audio fx and scores and the missus is a proficient pianist so mum can get involved as well at a later date. 

All in all it's a very nice change from 3D as the results are instant, some people find stop motion laborious but I love the instant results I get. What you see is really what you get.

Start small and think big is the outlook and our first production is down on paper, it's a small start.

Greetings from Holland and nice to meet you all.

Peter

Hey folks, I'm Andrew. Been lurking for awhile and about a month ago finally took the time to make a few videos. It's thanks to these forums that I learned how to prevent flicker among a dozen other technical things I was having trouble with so I wanted to sign up finally and send some love. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge people; much appreciated!! 

Hi there!

My name's Cory and I'm an LA based stop motion animator. 

Here's a link to view some of my work - https://vimeo.com/corygarcia

Im always looking for work and collaboration opportunities! Please hit me up if you need an animator! 

Hi there, I joined this site because I am interested in making my own stop motion films. I've always loved stop motion but it only recently occurred to me to give it a try myself. I'm sorely under equipped at this point, but I don't want that to stop me from learning everything I can. So far I've made one incredibly short film just using stuff I had on hand, but I'm determined to learn how to do better.

I'm glad sites like this exist and I can't wait to make another short. I have stories I would love to tell with this medium in the future, but I need to learn the craft before I can tell those stories well.

Hi, everybody! Alright, so I got into stop motion animation about 5 months ago but never really tried to create my own short. About a month ago, I was assigned a task in which I had to create my own stop motion character/puppet. Sadly, I never got the chance to animate it so I haven't actually made any progress in learning how to animate objects yet. I know several skills are required in this field but I'm eager to learn everything I can in order to one day create my own stop motion shorts and improve my technique, which is why I joined this site. I also like to watch stop motion videos from other artists because of the special, genuine quality each animator brings to their own shorts. In the future I would love to make a science fiction and horror short film entirely with stop motion. This site seems like an amazing place to learn more about the craft and to talk with people who share the same love for stop motion animation!

Hi everyone!

I'm an oil and watercolor painter who has always been into stop-motion animation ever since I first saw Gumby as a kid!

I'm a bit of a technophobe and really only use cameras to (poorly) photograph my paintings. However, now that I'm graduated from college, I'm thinking more about what I want to do. Whether I pursue art or biology (I double majored) is still up in the air, but I really want to experiment with making stop motion shorts. I have no experience at all, so it's going to require a lot of learning on my part. I figure this will give me time to save up to buy a decent camera and some good software.

I look forward to getting to know you all and what your styles are! Maybe this time a year from now, I'll actually know what I'm doing :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Teen Animation Festival International 2017

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}