Use this space to tell everyone about yourself and your interest in stop motion animation.

Views: 10445

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey guys.  

I'm here to learn stopmotion animation, and to chat,  don't get out much.

I have done stopmotion bits over the years, but never commited, I have done quite a bit more with composing music on piano, I probably will experiment with using my music with my animation, but nothing set in stone, we see, don't know which direction I will go in.    

I plan to do Justin Rasch's course next in few months time.  I'm trying to prepare myself for that next.  

Although I have so much to learn about building puppets and sets and all of it really.

My only regret is that I hadn't joined this community years ago.

I hope all of us make our dreams come true, and find the inspiration to continue to learn and grow and just feel good and enjoy what we do.....

I'm happy to be here....

James.

'nothing beats hands on experience'.  

Hi Everybody,

My name is Ted Sydor, and while I've been a member of this site for a long time, I thought I'd say "hello" to all the newer members here.  My journey in Stop Motion formally began in on a rainy Fall night in 1991, when I saw the documentary film "The Puppets of Jiri Trnka" at the first meeting of my very first animation class.  Whatever plans or ideas I had at the time changed that night, and I became obsessed with learning more about Czech Puppet Film and somehow getting to the studio named for Jiri Trnka that was still operating outside of Prague.   While working on a plastic armature (I had yet to learn how to work metal) at a sculpture class at a nearby college, I was introduced to the visiting head of Kratky Film (by most bizarre coincidence), who agreed to make introductions for me at the Trnka Studio later that Summer (if I could get myself to Prague).  

Yesterday I was sent a documentary from one of my friends and old teachers, Milan Vins; I had not seen it before, and all those beautiful memories came flooding back.  With footage taken just months before I arrived there, below is a taste of the paradise that changed my life in the most wonderful way.   

I don't get to work in Puppet Film these days, and my shop, a small piece of that mighty studio recreated here by me, sits dormant.  But there is not a single day that goes by where I don't have passing thoughts of that place, those times, and the incredible people I know there.

Enjoy,

Trnka Studio Tour

Best,

Ted Sydor (Trikfx)

Owner, Trik Film Efffects

trikfx.com

Thanks for posting that amazing video Ted!! Wow, I can certainly see how you were instantly captivated - visiting there must have been like seeing Willy Wonka's, with the added mystery and intrigue of it being in a foreign country steeped in puppetfilm tradition. Thank god for Gene Deitch - he's been the source of some of my best glimpses into this world, and now for the first time I've heard how some of the names I've read so many times are pronounced. Most of them are a little different from what I expected. I recognize a few of the films they're working on - there's When the Leaves Fall From the Oak and The Emperor's Nightingale plus a few more that look familiar but I can't quite place, but also a few I've never glimpsed before. Is it just on my end, or for the last few days do YouTube videos that weren't shot in HD show up only in the upper left corner when you go fullscreen? I'll be watching this one a few more times and then set in to exploring all the treasures showing up in the sidebar next to it as well. It's been too long since my last peek into the Czech puppetfilm world. 

Thanks Strider!  Glad you enjoyed it.  Don't know what to say about the YouTube settings; it seems to expand ok here.

Yeah, it was a real shot in the arm to see it; I have been so immersed in (almost totally unrelated) stage projection work (and fatherhood!) that it is very bitter-sweet for me.  I haven't been to Prague in four years now; the longest stretch, by far, since 1992.  Pretty depressing, to be honest.  As soon as little guy #2 is a little older, I hope the visits there will resume...

Best,

Ted

Hi, my name is Samuel and i started to do some stopmotion 5 years ago with some Star Wars lego... i dont make to much stopmotion, but i always try do something when i have time... i know that i need to improve a lot of things, and a forum is a nice place to share experiences and information!!! 

Hello all! 

My name is Paul T. McGilvray (Yes, the T. is important, so not to get confused with my Dad. I think Jnr sounds lame so wanna avoid that) I am 25 years old from Australia

I have been iterested in stop motion for a very long time, and never realised it until recent years of my life. I am inspired by Hnery Selicks work on JJames and the Giant peach, and Coraline, not to mention ALL of Laika's work, Wallance and Grommit, Trap Door, lots of shorts... Look, I can go on forever. 

I myself have completed 1 stop motion short, entitled "Archie, the Arachnophobic Arachnid" which is the story of a spider with arachnophobic preparing for a family gathering at his house. The film acts as a metaphor to Social Anxiety, and has been accepted into the Los Angales CineFest. 

I am currently in the pre production stage of a more  major project entitled "Goblin Soup", which is going to be a quirky children's and adult movie about some very unlikely characters on a simple quest that quickly becomes complicated. 

I still have a lot to learn and would love to share what I know, and learn more from like-minded folk who are pushing this amazing art further into the future! 

Hi there!

I did some stop motion animation back in high school (with Super 8 film). Even won 3rd place in a California film festival for animation.  Sounds impressive until you know there were only three entries! I have always wanted to try it again and it has been very encouraging to listen in on all of you at this site.

Dave

Hello everyone!

Thank you for allowing me to be apart of this community :-)

My name is Angela and I am a recruiter at Laika. I am currently looking for experienced stop motion costume fabricators that have impeccable sewing, draping and pattern making skills as well for a keen eye for detail and construction. If you or anyone you know is interested, please feel free to apply online at www.laika.com. We are also always looking for talented stop mo animators, armaturists, set dressers, set designers, production designers, metal fabricators, carpenters and more. Please check our website for current openings.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Angela

Hi! My name is Nathan and I'm from beautiful Tennessee, home of country music, walking horses, and sippin' whiskey. I've loved animation of all sorts as long as I can remember. I've been sculpting a lot recently and started thinking - I should learn to do stop-motion animation! I look forward to learning from y'all.

Hello all. I am a hobbyist when it comes to stop motion animation. A friend of mine showed me some claymation he did years ago on video and I got interested. I read everything I could at the time. Then life happened. Work, bills, family, and not much time for hobbies that I couldn't really afford. Now 15 or so years later, my interest has piqued again especially having a son that loves to play with Lego. It's something we can do together and it's also something I can do on my own that keeps the creative juices flowing.

My background is in photography, so to speak. I was a photographer for a while and ended up getting a job at a commercial photo lab. Throughout the years, the company I work for has gone from classic photo developing to digital printing to three dimensional displays. Which means I have access to large format digital printers, c&c lasers, c&c routers, a woodshop, metal shop and now a 3d printer.

Right now, I really don't have good stop motion software but am looking at Dragonframe here in the next month or so. I'm using the IMovie on my wife's laptop to do my animation tests. It's been fun but I'm looking to take it to the next level and try to make the animations more fluid and more professional appearance.

I really enjoy your site. The tutorials and forums are great. I was able cast my first silicon hand the other day from reading here and watching you tube videos. It turned out great for a first test. I've also been working on my puppets body and did a couple walk test that turned out decent. I feel that I've learned a lot from your site already and am looking forward to actually creating something people will enjoy.

Thank you and I hope to be around here for a while. I'll probably be lurking more than contributing, but I hope to contribute more in the future as I learn as I go.

Vic

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Photos

Loading…

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2016   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}