Use this space to tell everyone about yourself and your interest in stop motion animation.

Views: 8103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Morning everyone! My name is Troy Stith and I'm based out of Columbus, OH. I grew up on a steady diet of Will Vinton's claymation, not to mention all the other talented animators of the time. My love for it has only grown over the ages and I'm still pulled into the magic it takes to make stop motion happen. Although, my last attempts at basic stop motion with toys died with VHS, I'm looking to start researching into bringing a story idea I have to life. 

Although I don't have much stop motion experience at this point, I have been involved with sculpting, making toys, doing designer toy customs, and painting the past five years or so. It seems like I've come full circle now and I'm ready to start bringing my skills together for a bigger project. 

I'm looking forward to checking out more of the threads on here and sharing some of my work! 

Hi I am Fatima. I am a graphic designer .Before 2 years I got interested in animation specially stop motion way. I hope to get more and more information from this interesting site.

Have a nice day every one :)

Hi!  I've joined this forum to learn more about stop motion animation.  I was recently introduced to it while taking an animation class with my son.  He's interested in animation and so I decided to take a class with him.  Wow!  I'm loving it.  Specifically stop motion animation.  It's really fun and allows my imagination to create anything I want.   During the day, I run a website focused on comics, called IndieComicsTracker.com.  I hope to network with all of you and learn more!

Hi folks. Finally joining this site after hearing about it for years, and I can already see a few people I recognize from YouTube and whatnot. I've been animating for about 7 years now, currently 17 years old, and am now in the spot of trying to get into an art school to pursue animation further there. I plan on posting some of my already completed animations here, although I may not have too much progress to show on the stop motion side of things at least for a brief period, as I am more focused on still life drawings to build my portfolio to show to schools. Hopefully I'll still be able to make a few short practice animations on the side though!

Looking forward to checking out other people's work and hopefully learning a thing or two.

Here's my channel if you want to see some of my stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/cjanimation

Hi everyone, I'm Chris Diaz. Even though I've been posting on here about the Montreal Stop Motion Film Festival for a while, I realized I never actually introduced myself.

I'm a freelance animator/illustrator from Montreal. I used to lurk a lot on the old boards. I was kid in the 80's, so all the movies still used stop motions for SFX. Ghostbusters, Robocop, Dragonslayer, these were the films I absolutely adored as a kid. Stop Motion was also everywhere: music videos, commercials, television shows...consequently, I've loved stop motion since I was young enough to watch TV.

It wasn't until a Reading Rainbow episode that I first discovered how stop motion was done. It was a bit of a watershed moment for me because it was the first time I ever saw the process, and the first time I went "I want to do that." God bless you, Levar Burton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE15oMLWVkc

It wasn't until I had gotten into the animation program at Concordia in that I learned about the history of stop motion and would be exposed to stop motion from other countries, such as Svankmajer, The Brothers Quay, Jiri Barta, Jiri Trnka, etc. Also, the proliferation of blogs in the early to mid 2000's also helped as more animators and animation enthusiasts could easily start hosting their own blogs. Before youtube, I used to visit AtomFilms a lot and watch stop motion shortsby independent animators. This is where I was exposed to The Box Man, The Canhead series, and a bunch of other great indie shorts. There were also a great series of torrents back in the day called "Beltesassar's Great Animation Festival" that used to collect great 2D and stop motion animated shorts. I think I later found out they were rips of "The Animation Show" DVDs.

This is the first thing I ever animated in stop motion. It was for my stop-mo class at Concordia:

https://vimeo.com/4932865

I haven't had the chance to work on too many stop motion projects, they don't come around very often. The last one I worked on was for a small documentary called The Wanted 18. My latest demo can be found here:

https://vimeo.com/104468627

I've been helping coordinate the Montreal Stop Motion Festival for the past three years. It's run by my old Stop-Motion teacher, Erik Goulet, who's crazy about stop motion. He started the festival after his wife suggested he start his own when he was complaining about there not being enough stop motion at a bunch of animation festivals he had attended. I like him, I like the festival, and I love stop motion, so that's what I've been doing with my time!

Joe here, a total rank amateur with a long term interest in stop animation. Never thought I'd be able to do it, as film movie cameras that could shoot one frame at a time seemed expensive. Got started when I found out it's done with webcams and dslr's now.

One of my other hobbies is photography, so I already had a dslr. I tried a webcam as well but went back to the dslr, as it has MUCH more control(at least for me) than a webcam does.

I'm no puppet maker, I use whatever toys/props I can get ahold of. LOVE army men! 

Hope you don't mind a total noob, improvement is going to be slow. It took MANY weekends just to get Baby Godzilla vs Army Men done, and it's only 1:28 min long!!

Welcome, Joe! Many of us started out with movie cameras or a video camera that could only shoot about a second of video at a time. That really points out how recent the framegrabbing technology is. A compositor at Laika started out as a childhood friend, and we animated on each others' films. Neither of us had a VCR, and we had to try to back-edit using a jog wheel on a VHS deck (he had super VHS). I remember, almost fondly, when there was no way to record a true single frame with video. That was only 7 years before Anasazi Animator would revolutionize stop motion, making it the first free video animation program for Windows. After that it was Stop Motion Pro and Dragon...We're spoiled now.
When you have animated long enough, you take the length of time it takes to do animation pretty much in stride. You may be a "rank amateur" now, but you won't stay one forever. In fact, a lot of animators had only GI Joes to animate as kids!There's even a GI Joe stop motion on the 24th International Tournee of Animation (Volume 6, 1994). Congrats on getting your first film done! A lot of credibility in stop motion centers around finishing what you start. And if you can do that, and you are a good storyteller, you've got it made....

Hi, all!

I've been lurking on this site for awhile now, and thought it best to introduce myself before becoming a permanent part of the background.

My interest in stop motion is threefold: as a film buff, I've always been completely enchanted by the work of stop motion artists; as a teacher who specializes in technology, I've enjoyed expanding my students' avenues of expression with basic stop motion activities; and as a beginning animator with many ideas but few resources, I'm fascinated by so many ways all of you face the creative and practical problems this pursuit constantly presents. Furthermore, as a musician, I'm always looking for ways to expand my own avenues of expression.

I hope to continue learning much and more from all of you in the future. Incidentally, I've been developing a website for my students (ages 7-14) here

Lol, I had to laugh when you mentioned GI Joe's as I'm going to buy a couple of those! I figure the articulation should make them pretty good noob stop motion candidates. Been buying up toys for stop ani like a little kid.

Baby Godzilla vs Army Men was actually the second "full length"(full length being over a minute, lol), Hippie and Kopz was the first. Hippie and Kopz was done with a web cam whereas Baby Godzilla was shot with a dslr. Of the two I liked working with the dslr better and will probably stick with that even if it does mean not having shots go directly to the computer.

My dslr is a sony a230, so I'm not sure that is compatible with dragon frame, which a lot of people here seem to be using. Monkeyjam will have to do for now, budget is limited and I'm in process of acquiring more "actors" such as the afore  mentioned GI Joe's.

You and your friend were more innovative than me, it never occurred to me to try to do stop ani by editing from a vhs deck!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Puppet Putty

Puppet Putty is formulated by clay animator Don Carlson. Properties include colors that do not bleed on your hands, a matte finish, cleans up with water, is very light weight, firm, non-greasy and has a silky texture.

MESSAGE BOARD QUICK LINKS

Message Board

Adobe Premiere/Effects animating a matte for rig removal

Started by Annie Wong in STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS. Last reply by Annie Wong 19 hours ago. 6 Replies

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could tell me or point me in the direction of a tutorial for animating a matte for rig removal in Adobe Premiere or After Effects? Here's a quickie little test I did of my puppet just to dip my feet into how his rig…Continue

Tags: adobe, removal, rig

Dragonframe Live View looks like thermal camera!

Started by Christopher Olsen in STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS. Last reply by Buckner yesterday. 9 Replies

Anybody have any idea why my live view screen looks like this? It is like the camera only wants to show a single color channel in live view. The actual capture looks fine...but if I have to animate using this crappy looking single-channel pass that…Continue

LIGHTING!

Started by Becky Weston in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by StopmoNick yesterday. 18 Replies

Hello fellow stop motion-ers!I have managed to teach myself enough to make a few stop motions, but I still don't quite understand what type of lighting/bulbs to use to prevent the subtle flickering throughout an animation? I want to be able to…Continue

Tags: flicker, no, cheap, lighting

Live Chat On AnimateClay.com Reminder

Started by Ron Cole in ANIMATOR TALK. Last reply by Ron Cole yesterday. 240 Replies

Don't forget, on WEDNESDAYS (Thursdays on the first week of each month)  there's a…Continue

Fitting components inside a slush cast head

Started by Anthony Leigh in GENERAL PUPPET MAKING. Last reply by Anthony Leigh on Wednesday. 6 Replies

I have three heads which I are going to have moulds made of them, and then are going to be slush cast. I want to put little wooden blocks inside the head with holes for the eyes to sit in, wire and epoxy for the nose and epoxy putty teeth with a…Continue

Tags: slush, head, cast, mould, latex

Now Taking Commissions...

Started by Paul O'Brien in GENERAL PUPPET MAKING on Tuesday. 0 Replies

Hi All!After a few long months of clearing some freelance work I am now finally in the position to fit in some commissioned stop-motion work. I have space available to produce puppets of all kinds. A full service can be offered from character design…Continue

Tags: services, armatures, animation, puppets

Photos

Loading…

Events

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

Members

© 2014   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}