Use this space to tell everyone about yourself and your interest in stop motion animation.

Views: 13890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha! My wife always harrasses me......she says "Your hobby is having hobbies". Like you - sculpting, music, painting, ceramics, wood working, moldmaking, lifecasting, radio control, photography, sewing, knitting and loads more ON TOP of general tinkering.....well.....it's all coming together now so who's laughing there honey? Huh? (She doesn't read this forum so I can get away with that ; ) I think we've all got some degree of "Disorder" as you say. I know mine is somewhere on the OCD spectrum.

Welcome! I look froward to being inspired by you as I have been by so many others here.

Ha ha...

I always said: if you like stop motion and are married, then there are two moments for working in it: before the 5 first years of relationship or fifteen years after.

before 5 because then all is forgiven and after 15 because already nothing matters!

Animatters said:

Ha! My wife always harrasses me......she says "Your hobby is having hobbies". Like you - sculpting, music, painting, ceramics, wood working, moldmaking, lifecasting, radio control, photography, sewing, knitting and loads more ON TOP of general tinkering.....well.....it's all coming together now so who's laughing there honey? Huh? (She doesn't read this forum so I can get away with that ; ) I think we've all got some degree of "Disorder" as you say. I know mine is somewhere on the OCD spectrum.

Welcome! I look froward to being inspired by you as I have been by so many others here.

Hi everyone,
I wondered if I may take this opportunity to post a link to a project I am trying to get off the ground.

I'm hoping someone will grab this chance to be part of a project which will be a great experience, plus something you'll enjoy. If the goal is successful a film about raising awareness of Parkinson's will be in production and will be a great resource for future health and social care.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2048073752/keep-on-keeping-on?...

The reason why I’ve decided to make a film on Parkinson’s is because the last six years I’ve have watched the disease change my mothers way of life completely. Whilst PD has brought some of the most difficult times to my mothers life the support she has received from others, who are also suffering from PD have enriched her life greatly. My own observations of PD is that it remains very much a silent illness and I feel an obligation to give it a voice using real life experiences. My aim is to raise awareness of the daily challenges that people with Parkinson’s face, such as the little things, such as making a cup of tea, that many people take for granted.

Only four days to go before it's times up.
Thanks for your time.
hi hi everyone ^^
i am just starting in stop motion, but ive got a background in sculpture and was frequently hanging about the animation studio when i was in college. for some reason it never hit me that i too could make puppets and tell stories with them, but that's what im aiming to do now!

Hi All:

It's been a long time!  I was a pretty active member of this site some years ago. My handle was "Roy" (which is the name of the first puppet I ever made/animated. Roy the puppet is also my avatar image!) Since those days, I've worked on quite a few stop motion tv shows and specials, as an animator. I've made several of my own short stop motion films, and I've started a small production company (www.madlabproductions.ca). I've also moved into teaching stop motion (among other things) to college students, as a faculty member in Sheridan College's Animation Program. Most recently, I've begun work on a stop motion textbook, entitled "Advanced Stop Motion: Fabrication and Filmmaking,' for Bloomsbury Press. The book is aimed at senior art students and serious indie artists, and will cover a wide range of topics. I'm very excited to get to work on it, and I look forward to sharing updates on the project, over the course of writing "the beast" (it's going to be a BIG book).

When I was starting out in stop motion, this site was a constant source of information, insights, and SUPPORT. I really enjoyed being a member, and I'm excited to be back. I hope I can offer what I have come to know about the medium to other artists. And since there's lots more folks in this community who are wiser than me, I'll be picking some brains myself!

I'll sign off with a link to the trailer fro my latest film: THE SHUTTERBUG MAN. It just played at the Annecy Animation Festival, and has now been selected for the Ottawa International Animation Festival, where it will be playing this fall (just in time for Halloween- it's a HORROR story!)

It features a very twisted man, whose only passion in life is taking pictures. It's pretty adult, and isn't intended for young audiences... You can find out more at www.theshutterbugman.com.

Here's the trailer (it doesn't feature anything too shocking): https://vimeo.com/112732594

And a fun "mood piece" of the process, that stop motion folks will get a kick out of, I hope: https://vimeo.com/103666783

Hello fellow animation enthusiasts! 

My name is Alex Kobbs (A.K.A. Kooberz), and I should have joined this site a long time ago. I am a Fitchburg State University graduate, and an independent stop-motion animator specializing in brickfilms (although I like to animate with other mediums too). Since 2006, I have been releasing various films on my youtube channel: Kooberz where I also release animation tutorials and other fun Lego or animation-based vids (New vids every Tues, Weds, and Friday)
I have been fortunate enough to create a few cool projects over the years such as a Call of Duty Trailer re-make, a Gears of War animation, the opening to the 2012 Independent Achievement Awards, a Pac-man animation with die-cast cars, and a 27-minute long Halo fan-film called Battle of the Brick: Built for Combat

Oddly enough, my latest project was an official commissioned Halo animation for Mega Brands Inc. I wrote, storyboarded, and eventually animated this 2-part film called The Battle for New Mombasa, which you can watch now! Part 2 just came out last week and is very special because it has two separate endings that you can choose from!

Battle for New Mombassa Part 1

Battle for New Mombassa Part 2

Battle for New Mombassa Orange Spartan Ending

Battle for New Mombassa Red Spartan Ending

I hope you all enjoy my work. I'm eager to share what I know, and learn what I don't. I've been trying to break into the animation industry in the NYC/Fairfield County Area (I live near Blue Sky Studios) but had no luck so-far. If anyone has any connections or suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you for welcoming me into the community and I hope to talk with you soon. 

-Kooberz- 

P.S.- Rip R.H.


Hey there everyone! I'm a stop-motion animator in Chicago and am going back to school to study the fabrication side of stop-motion. I've mostly worked on independent short films, minor commercial work, music videos, and one failed pilot. My demo reel can be found on my website MollyMcCandless.com

A major part of going back to school is to focus on learning how to make professional grade puppets and master the art of metal machining armatures. I've done minor armature machining before, but will definitely need a forum space to pick people's brains. 

The first BIG hiccup in my education plan is that my new school's metal shop doesn't have a metal mill and lathe- isn't that absurd?! 

I've really pulled a lot of strings to get my own and I'm looking at these two packages from Sherline 

Lathe:

https://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display...

Mill: 

https://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display...

Has anyone used these? Any qualms? Any Praise? 

I'd sure appreciate your insight!

I haven't used a Sherline because they are 2 times the US price in my country.  I did get a Chinese made metal lathe, a Seig C-3 (sold under many brand names, and probably available in Harbour Freight in the US) and it works fine for my needs of fabricating brass and aluminium props, and sometimes turning wood as well.  

  Never having used a mill, I can't comment on those.  (I cut my blocks and plates from aluminium using a bandsaw, then a bench mounted belt sander and hand filing to shape them, rather than cutting with a mill.)   I decided I wouldn't get enough use out of a mill to justify the cost, and the space it would take up in my workshop.  But for armature making the mill is probably more important than the lathe.  There are other members with far more experience at machining, so with luck one of them might see this and comment. 

Tom Brierton uses Sherline machines in his book on armature machining, so they should be good.  I believe they are very good quality for the size - smaller than my C3, but made with more precision.  (With any smaller machines, they are a bit less rigid than the big heavy ones that you need a fork-lift to move, so you have to make smaller cuts, a little at a time, to avoid chatter, but they will still do the job.)

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Motion-Armature-Machining-Construction-M...

You ought to start a thread asking specifically about milling machines and armature machining - not many people will see it in the introductions thread. 

There was a guy named Sven who used to post here and had a blog where he detailed his adventures in outfitting his home machine shop specifically for armature machining, and his progress along the way. I know he took a good hard look at Sherlines, and if I remember right that's what he ended up getting, but don't quote me on that. He's very meticulous when it comes to making detailed blog entries, which makes his posts very valuable to others following the same course. Here's a search page for Machining (you might want to also search for terms like Armature or Milling Machine etc): http://www.puddingbowl.org/MT/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=13&sea...

Nope - looks like he ended up getting a Microlux I think. To make sure you find all his armature entries you might want to just check all entries under his Stopmo tag: http://www.scarletstarstudios.com/blog/archives/movies/stopmo/

Hi Molly,
Happen to see your question about milling machines and lathes here, might be good to move this to the armature or machining threads, but for now... Well I cannot really give very specific advice on those really as I still haven't used one yet, but would like to in the future.
I built a ball and socket armature from scratch using the tools in the metal workshop at my university while I was studying animation. I did not use a lathe or milling machine but just a pillar drill, hand tools and brazing torch for silver soldering. A milling machine and lathe would surely be nice tools to learn to use in the future and make more accurate joints and make it easier and faster to repeat actions, etc, but it can also be done without.

You can see my armature in action in my film 'Moonbird': https://vimeo.com/96693049

Hey Strider! Thank you so much for pointing me to Sven's blog- This is going to be amazingly helpful!

Strider said:

You ought to start a thread asking specifically about milling machines and armature machining - not many people will see it in the introductions thread. 

There was a guy named Sven who used to post here and had a blog where he detailed his adventures in outfitting his home machine shop specifically for armature machining, and his progress along the way. I know he took a good hard look at Sherlines, and if I remember right that's what he ended up getting, but don't quote me on that. He's very meticulous when it comes to making detailed blog entries, which makes his posts very valuable to others following the same course. Here's a search page for Machining (you might want to also search for terms like Armature or Milling Machine etc): http://www.puddingbowl.org/MT/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=13&sea...

Nope - looks like he ended up getting a Microlux I think. To make sure you find all his armature entries you might want to just check all entries under his Stopmo tag: http://www.scarletstarstudios.com/blog/archives/movies/stopmo/

HOLY COW!!!! You made those armatures without a mill and lathe!! That is crazy impressive!

Roos Mattaar said:

Hi Molly,
Happen to see your question about milling machines and lathes here, might be good to move this to the armature or machining threads, but for now... Well I cannot really give very specific advice on those really as I still haven't used one yet, but would like to in the future.
I built a ball and socket armature from scratch using the tools in the metal workshop at my university while I was studying animation. I did not use a lathe or milling machine but just a pillar drill, hand tools and brazing torch for silver soldering. A milling machine and lathe would surely be nice tools to learn to use in the future and make more accurate joints and make it easier and faster to repeat actions, etc, but it can also be done without.

You can see my armature in action in my film 'Moonbird': https://vimeo.com/96693049

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Count Croc replied to Count Croc's discussion I need suggestions for my new film
"Well, as one of the comments reads, “How about Bobby No”. Jokes aside, I might muster…"
9 hours ago
Eric J. Nelson posted a video
10 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Tatu P's discussion All tender things
"Wow! That's looking lovely. Fantastic animation. One to look forward to! Glad I was able to be…"
10 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Count Croc's discussion I need suggestions for my new film
"What you need is this wonderful book: Ideas for the animated short , by Sullivan, Alexander, Mintz…"
10 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}