Use this space to tell everyone about yourself and your interest in stop motion animation.

Views: 13980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all,

New member here...experimenting with stop motion by using iStopMotion for my iPad (which makes the experimenting part ridiculously easy).

Hi! I'm Helena Prado, 22 years old, and I am a filmmaking student from Brazil. I am very much in love with stop motion and currently developing one of my own. And also planning to graduate doing a stopmo short. I love doing manual things, building models with my mom since I was little. Now it's even more exciting and challenging, with all the animation that must go after.

Everything in this art is difficult to know in detail, so I am also trying to make a good blog about stopmo for brazilians, with news, curiosities and tutorials. So that people like me can have a good source of information.

I'm completely addicted to it and love it very much. It's rewarding to find a place where the main subject being discussed is stop motion.

Hey guys!  I'm Elizabeth McMahill.  Recent computer animation grad, from Florida, currently LA based.  Computers are great and all, but I just plain like working with my hands.  I've done a few projects in stop motion, but they've all been pretty controlled and simple.  I've still got a lot to learn, so I figured I drop in here and see what the rest of the world was doing (:

You can see some of the stuff I've done before in my reel, http://vimeo.com/39903990

Elizabeth, these are awesome! I loved the tissue boxes. What are the arms and legs covered with?

Greg

Elizabeth McMahill said:

Hey guys!  I'm Elizabeth McMahill.  Recent computer animation grad, from Florida, currently LA based.  Computers are great and all, but I just plain like working with my hands.  I've done a few projects in stop motion, but they've all been pretty controlled and simple.  I've still got a lot to learn, so I figured I drop in here and see what the rest of the world was doing (:

You can see some of the stuff I've done before in my reel, http://vimeo.com/39903990

Thanks Greg!  The arms and legs are coated in Plasti-dip, a rubber coating much like that on tool handles that you can get at most hardware stores.  They're bulked out with duct tape over the wire, which is hindsight wasn't the best move and introduced some posing problems which I talk about more in my blog entry on for this project.

Lovely reel, Elizabeth. I love the eye movements on the girl playing scrabble. Some very subtle animation there. The piano playing pie was my favorite.

I'm a clay/stop motion animator in Portland, OR currently studying under Will Vinton.

Saw my first clay animated commercial in 1992 and knew that was what I wanted to do. This year, things have kind of come full circle, as I'm learning all the classic Claymation techniques. Having a blast!

I second Greg's sentiments. That reel was awesome, awesome, awesome! I especially liked the opening shot with the tissues. It's hard to do fast limb action and make it read. I would say you've mastered it.

Elizabeth McMahill said:

Elizabeth - I looked at the card.  You made a tuft of tissue on top express emotion, and a great job with the blowing action too!

Hi Don, what a great thing, studying with the Master himself!  You were already a good clay animator, so if you are finding the classes worthwhile they must be excellent. 

Hey everybody!

I just signed up. I am an indy film maker in Northern California. We are just about to start post production on our third feature film and I am starting to consider stop motion for some of the creatures. I hope to learn a little bit here and get some advice.

Thanks

Hey Darin, welcome to the site! What type of creatures does your film have?

What's the story about?

What did you shoot on?

Do you have a link to your other films or this newest one? 

Thanks, that'll help out here.

Several of us here have worked on feature's and shorts that involve live action vs. stop mo. critters. Check out my FLYDO film for a start Plus, I built a creature for the Sinbad film that Ron Cole animated on and built more creatures...

There's Nick Hiligoss, Dave Hettmer, Mark Sullivan Peter Montgomery and more who've all been involved in these kinda films as well...Hope that gets the ball rolling....Best, Stan

Thanks Stan

Our first film was Monster from Bikini Beach- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQY6DjnBF_c

The second was Planet of the Vampire Women- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RusNM9D0_Ck

and the new one is Badass Monster Killer- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZMlKrWLeQ&feature=youtu.be

This new one is like Lovecraft meets Shaft and there are a bunch of different monsters in it from H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos- A Shoggoth, a Hound of the Tindalos, an unnamed thing with a bunch of tentacles and even a couple of Mi-Go. We built prop tentacles and claws for interacting directly with the actors with the intention to do the full creatures as CG. But I've started thinking about the possibility of doing em as stop motion. We've been shooting primarily on green screen with a Canon HD camera.

darin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Mark Francombe replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
21 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Colin Reid Grayson's discussion PLEASE HELP!
"Maybe the gorilla goes back and complains that he is a vegetarian and got a pepperoni pizza?! Or…"
22 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"No. Sorry, if only it were that easy! This is what I am referring…"
22 hours ago
Mark Francombe replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}