Hello,I was just wondering if anyone could possibly help me with something? 
I recently brought the Nikon D3300,inorder to use it for stopmotion.I read that Dragonfame supports live view for this camera,but have had no luck.
Iv'e plugged the camera in using usb,and it doesnt come under an available camera to use(iv'e downloaded the trail version) I really don't know why this would be.
I was just wondering if anyone knows why this might be? Or what set up you use when connecting camera to computer? 
Thank you so very much.

Views: 836

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recommend performing a camera test, which is in the program's Help menu, and send in the results. Also, the Dragonframe site has a troubleshooting guide for cameras that you should review.

Take a photo with the camera, plug it in via USB, and see if you can transfer that photo to the camera.  If that works, the USB connection is good and the computer can see the camera.  Once you've eliminated that, do what Dyami says, he's the Dragonframe maestro!

I have the same camera and i can confirm that live view is available on it. i used it with some other software not DF but it works perfectly. Check the USB cable first.

This is undoubtedly included in the camera troubleshooting guide on Dragonframe, but you want to make sure there's no other program open that might be using your camera. Video editing software, maybe even just a movie viewing app like Quicktime or VLC. As I recall there was something I had to disable - I think it was the Facetime webcasting software that came pre-installed on my Mac. I had to google around till I found instructions on how to disable it, and as soon as I did I able to get a connection. That was years ago, and I only did it once and haven't had to mess with it since, so the memory is hazy now. I'll see if I still have those instructions - I tend to keep stuff like that in my documents folder forever.

Well, I can't find the copy I saved, but here's instructions on disabling the built in iSight/Facetime webcam on a Mac: http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/26/how-to-disable-the-built-in-isight-c...

As I recall, the problem was that the iSight camera would show up as the default and Dragonframe only wanted to connect to it - once I disabled it then whatever camera I had connected would show up in the list. 

Of course this is only for Macs - if you have a PC there might be something similar, but at least this could be a lead to figure out what the problem is. 

I've been having a very similar problem and pulling my hair out a bit trying to get it to work. I have a Canon 650D and Dragon Frame 3. My camera is listed as supported and I can control exposure, shutter speed etc. Dragon Frame says that live view is not supported/available on this camera and I need to press preview to see the frame I am working on. Live view does work with the canon software and I have followed the step by step instructions on Dragon Frame's site. The trouble shooting skips over this issue of being connected but no live view available. I've tried allsorts.

Just for info, do I need to have the camera itself set on live view when it is connected? I have also tried this but unsure how it "should" be. Thanks in advance for any advice, it will certainly speed up my workflow and remove this frustration, otherwise I'll be using my webcam instead of my nice new DSLR ;(

You just turn on the camera. You should not be turning on live view yourself. Dragonframe will do that.

The real issue with the original poster was using pirated software, which he could not update.

Make sure you are using the latest version, 3.6.8, and then send in problem report if you still have the same problem.

There are fairly extensive setup and troubleshooting guides on our site.

Paul said:

I've been having a very similar problem and pulling my hair out a bit trying to get it to work. I have a Canon 650D and Dragon Frame 3. My camera is listed as supported and I can control exposure, shutter speed etc. Dragon Frame says that live view is not supported/available on this camera and I need to press preview to see the frame I am working on. Live view does work with the canon software and I have followed the step by step instructions on Dragon Frame's site. The trouble shooting skips over this issue of being connected but no live view available. I've tried allsorts.

Just for info, do I need to have the camera itself set on live view when it is connected? I have also tried this but unsure how it "should" be. Thanks in advance for any advice, it will certainly speed up my workflow and remove this frustration, otherwise I'll be using my webcam instead of my nice new DSLR ;(

Thanks Dyami, I'll have a look at updating the software and see where I get with that. I'd been following the online guide but not having much luck with it

Thank you all ever so much for the helpfully answers,I tried it again not so recently and it worked,not too sure why..but it did! But that is not the end of the troubles..for some unknown reason,Dragon frame only stays open for 5-10 minuets and after that time it randomly closes..without any reason.This obviously means that doing animation is basically impossible and ive ran out of options on what to do! Im using windows 7,64 bit and a Nikon D3300,thank you! 

It randomly closes because it is pirated software.

It is unfortunate that you would post about your experience and give people a false impression of the software.

Software pirates like to argue that piracy does not hurt the company. But posts like this absolutely harm us. Some other potential user will read this and think Dragonframe randomly quits after 5-10 minutes. It doesn't. Only the pirated version does.

Well, I  have official version 4 (trial) and D3300 still doesn't work for me. :) I've read all those manuals and instructions for setup and it should be ok, but it isn't. Dragon Frame says that live view is not supported. What can you say about that?

Hi Maria, at a closer look i see you are using parallels virtualization desktop on your mac. According to the parallels site, if the USB is not working, you should stop the VM completely and try to see if the USB device is correctly recognized by the mac OS. That might be your problem since both VM Windows and MAC try to use the same USB camera and you have a conflict. If you assign a device to a VM( like the USB camera to Windows VM) that port will not be visible or available/usable  for MAC use. Only one machine/OS can use a device at a time.

hope this helps,

JD

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

Tom Brierton's Kickstarter

A dragon teaches her child how to fly, but in doing so, realizes that her training will come at a price.

This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, November 13 2017 5:23 PM PST.

Welcome To My Daydream: A Documentary about Will Vinton

A documentary about the father of Claymation and creator of the California Raisins + more!

On Kickstarter Now. Deadline is November 09, 2017 7:00 PM PST.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}