I always hate posting my stuff on here, as it looks so craptacular compared to everyone else's work, but...here's the first puppet for the new film. This guy (who will only be seen from the waist up) is Boomer, a fellow who enjoys playing his music a bit too loud. 

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If that is craptacular, show me the good stuff!  I like him.

I just can't wait to reach craptacular level!

Nice...very nice!!!

I like him!

Check dis guy. My man's stylin'!

I'm excited to hear (and see) you've started on your next project. Will it be a sequel or is it entirely new? 

Thanks for sharing 

Thanks guys. The checks are in the mail.

@ Beyond Craft: It's new. Something much shorter and lighter this time.

One thing that might be of interest to some of you is the way this guy's head is attached. You might recall that in my previous disaster epic the character of Dr. Ball had a similar round head and was attached to the body with a ball/socket joint that went up through the middle of the spherical head. This guy is a little different in that the head has a magnet in the bottom which sticks to a spherical metal plate in the top of the body. It can spin and tilt with about the same degree of freedom as the earlier puppet, but doesn't have the armature. It seems to move okay, but we'll see if it works out in actual animation.

Does he have replacement mouths?

No. He only has a small role and doesn't require them. Basically he just has to drive up in a car and turn his head to look at the guy next to him. He remains stoic throughout.

David Geister said:

Does he have replacement mouths?

Ok so he's the guy with the car stereo turned up really loud?  Now I hate him!    But great puppet design.  Interesting idea, with the head itself being a giant ball in a shallow socket.  

Stoic?  He could be boppin' to the music a bit...  Thereby turning an quick easy shot into a long gruelling one with ample potential for stuffing it up...    

Yeah, it goes on a bit more than I let on, Nick. He does a little beat box thing, then casually looks over towards us as the hero silently fumes in his own car. 

The head only had to do a back and forth move to the beat, then roll over a bit to the side to shoot the hero a look, so I didn't want to futz with a fancy joint.

Here's a work in progress on the hero, a hapless commuter trying to get to work. Still futzing with him. 

For some reason, I'm adding the mouth in post as I did in Eye of God, proof that all vestiges of sanity have long ago drained out my ears.

It looks really good ! Obviously you master puppet making.

I saw Eyes of God and I think adding the mouth in post worked pretty well (I just don't want to know how long it took to edit every image from the 20min that lasts the animation ).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jet Zhang posted discussions
yesterday
Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
Sunday
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Dec 4
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Dec 4

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}