I've been working on my project for over a year now, and my main set is finally ready for filming. But, I've run into a problem with my tie downs that I've been losing sleep over for months now. 

For my main characters I used skeletons from animation supplies, that come with a hole in the foot to screw in threaded wire. The character walks down the street in a back-shot so the backs of his feet will be visible.

I've built the street in a slope, with uneven pavement, using fiberglass and hotglue for the cobblestones. This rests on a table, so there is an empty space between the table and fiberglass street. This makes it very hard to put a screw something from the bottom since at the widest point it's a 10 cm space I have to bridge. 

I've considered using magnets for as far as I can reach under the street, but would that hold through the fiberglass? 

If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful, since filming it without tie-downs is hell...

(Just Iphone pictures for now, sorry ><)

Views: 871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Couldn't you use a fly rig sitting on the street and avoid having to drill at all?  Your sets are fantastic, the details in the buildings and the cobblestone street amazing!

Lovely sets! One thought about rigidity - to make something light but rigid a composite construction is good. This means two thin rigid skins with something light between. So you could make your street base rigid by filling the gap between it and the table with foam, although you say this is rather large and rods might have a problem getting through. Or you could make a skin much closer to the cobbles, with e.g. a 20mm separation, and then fill that gap. If you make the base out of something like 6mm MDF, fix it to the structure and seal it around the sides except where you inject the PU squirty foam, this should give you a really rigid set.

Unfortunately you will need to make the single-skin fibreglass quite thick and heavy (and costly, and smelly...) to achieve the same amount of stiffness. It's the basic principle of composite construction.

On your hill v gravity problem, have you considered something a little radical, which is to tilt the entire set and camera so the cart is not on quite such a steep slope? Might work, but you might end up with a sore neck! Good luck!

Thanks for all your suggestions (and compliments ;) )! For the cobblestone set I've gone with several acces holes in the table (and I've screwed in all my tie down rods in advance to minimize nudging the set) 

Stopmonick, the hill is hollow, I can easily climb in, so I could do tie downs from there, I'm just thinking about the most practical option (One that won't take too much time, and is doable with these TINY puppets : p )

Smiller, I have no experience with fly rigs and was unsure if they would hold well on the uneven surface. Could have been a good option though. 

Simon Tytherleigh, thanks for your thoughts on construction, I'll definitely keep that in mind next time : ) 
Tilting the set would be a great way to solve my problem, were it not that this entire contruction only just fits in my attic wall to wall, I have zero space to work with. 

Wot? You can't tilt the attic, then?!!

Wow! Wonderful work! How large is the set?

These sets are incredible. This is my first post, so I don't know what I'm doing, and I'm generally just eavesdropping and experimenting until I get a bit better, or I'd plague people with questions that they'll have already answered a million times, so I'm afraid I can't contribute to the discussion. But I felt I had to say something when I see your work. I do hope you'll share the finished product with us? I find your photos really inspiring. So imaginative.

It should be pretty easy to make some form of rig to hold the cart from above, there is only sky there and it should not be any shadows or anything so it would pretty easy to remove the rig in post.

For the first problem I think some form of rig holding the character from above would be best also even though a little more work to get rid of it in post and it's a little more work to keep the feet in place.

That set looks fantastic !

If you are considering fly rigs make sure you are ready for the post-production clean up that they require.  I used a lot of rigs on my latest film and am still trying to get them all cleaned up.  A classic fly rig using invisible thread would do pretty good as long as you can secure the feet with something like butyl tape.  The clear stuff doesn't leave too much residue and is very sticky stuff.

Another idea is to attach some mdf just under the walking path and then drilling through it as you normally would.  

Adam, have you got a link to that clear butyl tape you mention? I have used coloured stuff, aka Flexistrip, available from glazing outlets, and about 2mm thick x 9mm wide. Very sticky - intact I think Blu-tak and White Tak are basically the same thing. But I have never seen clear. Would be useful...

Here is an amazon link for tape that is super sticky and usually comes off cleanly.

Film industry uses it to hang pictures and such on sets

https://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_6?url=search-alias%3Delectron...

Simon Tytherleigh said:

Adam, have you got a link to that clear butyl tape you mention? I have used coloured stuff, aka Flexistrip, available from glazing outlets, and about 2mm thick x 9mm wide. Very sticky - intact I think Blu-tak and White Tak are basically the same thing. But I have never seen clear. Would be useful...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Christophe Sola posted a video

the Mat's trip - Introduction

The imaginary journey of Mat begins here. www.matetleshumains.com
19 hours ago
Maureen Z replied to John Horabin's discussion Trailer for our latest independent film: Jolly Girl
"This looks great! I'll have to keep my eye for it. Are those replacement mouths or clay that…"
yesterday
Devin Pingree replied to Devin Pingree's discussion Tie downs (magnets)
"Thanks. I'll look into those suggestions."
Sunday
GameYan Studio posted a video

Montilla Cartoon Character Rigging Animation in Maya Modeling Tutorial Video For Short CGI Film

Montilla - Cartoon Characters Reimagined As Realistic 3D Animation 3D Character Development - Modelling, Animation, Texturing, Rigging, Simulation, Lipsync, ...
Saturday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}