Hey There everyone !

Thanks so much with the last comments, I had two questions though:

1. I need to make the beast´s hand for the puppet, but I don´t know if casting it in silicone would be better than making it with latex, what do you guys think?

2. I just finished casting another puppet with Platsil Gel-10, what do you use for painting the puppet? I´ve seen some Acrylic work working in these kind of silicones, but I don´t know if they will work well. What do you advice?

Thanks to everyone, this helps me a lot !

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also, here are some photos of the molds

And I need some advice, cause I failed an attemp of creating a puppet, too much silicone I think, how could I make a better and functional armature for this puppet? 

1. The great thing about making latex hands is that you never have to worry about getting the wires in the right place, as you are building up the surface. Sculpting for silicone hands is fiddly and making the mould delicate and time-consuming. But you can get great detail in silicone. If you are putting hair on the hands, go for latex.

2. For painting the puppet you use a diluted and retarded mix of the same platsil with colours added. There's a good video on painting in layers, although it is for a full size head. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwmkRpCEvlc

3. For the mushrooms, ideally you would have a silicone skin over foam. This could be achieved with your mould by painting in a couple of layers of silicone, then closing the mould and pouring another layer while rotating the mould. You need to continue this until the silicone gels. It will form a continuous skin inside the mould. Once it is set you can pour in some Flex Foam, perhaps with some armature wire so you can animate the character. You could use a wood block that rests on the back of the eyeballs, just like in Nick's video, and pour the foam around it. NB if you add colour to the skin of the mushroom when you paint it into the mould, you will have it already mostly coloured.

Here's another method of coating foam with silicone, using builder's silicone instead. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rBNCvOILwmc

Thanks so much for your answer ! I'll try the latex option for the hands since I already have the armature for them and they may need some hair, and for the mushroom, I'm low on budget so maybe I'll try to make a foam covered armature since flex foam is out of budget for me right now, thanks again !!!

If your budget is low, then for the mushroom I would definitely go for a cushion foam with armature inside - don't forget you need something to grip when it is on set - smoothed out with some physio wrap and then coated with builder's silicone. You can thin the silicone with naphtha (lighter fluid) or d-limonene, but you mostly want it to be a butter- like consistency.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

James Krysa replied to Tim Allen's discussion 4 Week Stop Motion Animation Mentoring with Tim Allen in London (Jul-Aug 2019)
"very impressive showreel Tim.. I would love to do your course, but I am probably not ready for that…"
10 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Jet Zhang's discussion Beaver sculpture need suggestions.
"Then it might be better to cast the legs separately. Will there be some hair to help disguise the…"
16 hours ago
Tim Allen posted a discussion
16 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Count Croc's discussion Casting helmets
"Hi. Have a look at the thread I posted called EVA foam helmets. I made some miniature helmets using…"
16 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}