A Stop-motion and CGI short that is far different from any other of its kind.

Views: 2233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I want to prove myself as an animator and as an artist. I saw some different Stop-Motion/CGI combination projects other animators (with way more experience than me) did. Although they were cool films and shorts, I was always bothered with how the CGI elements seemed to be neglected and put aside for the Stop-Motion. Why not have both get good production treatment? Why not both be equals to make exciting movies? That's what I'm trying to do.

The other aspect of this is to create anything with little cost, and make it look like it had a good budget. The most expensive thing for this project is the Stop-Motion, at just $210 U.S. dollars.

What I mean by "paper-thin plot" is that this is really just a short that shows what I can do as an animator. It's a "show-off" short (for the lack of a better name).

Not many technical aspects to this project for both the CGI and the Stop-Motion elements.

If I had more money and time (and if this wasn't a one-man project), I'd make everything about this project Stop-Motion. Because of those obstacles, this is what I am doing. I'll probably make all planned future projects in this manner, with the most important elements, characters, and organic creatures(except humans) as Stop-Motion puppets, and everything else being CGI.

Sorry I rambled on.
I tend to talk and type too much.

Here's one of the main inspirations for this project and what this project's final scene will pay tribute to:
mecha master Koichi Ohata's MD Geist.
Geist's battle with the Final Striker(Final Terminator in the comics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5skjhD8gE
(I had the honor of being able to meet him in person).

The other inspirations include:
Harryhausen (why I am a Stopmoe),

The two Devilman OVAs,

Roughnecks Starship Troopers Chronicles,

Koichi Ohata's movies,

Godzilla (my favorite character since I was 2),

and too many others to list.

wow... well, good luck to ya! This sounds like one of those milestone projects. Something that can allow you to utilize and challenge the inspirations of your past, and let you know where you stand to continue to improve and develop your own "style" in the future. Very cool.

Best of luck to you! I'm excited to see this develop further.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the encouragement.

Mike said:

wow... well, good luck to ya! This sounds like one of those milestone projects. Something that can allow you to utilize and challenge the inspirations of your past, and let you know where you stand to continue to improve and develop your own "style" in the future. Very cool.

Best of luck to you! I'm excited to see this develop further.

College is about to begin again. Unlike last year, I will put very little time into this animation project once schools starts. In other words, it'll go dormant for a while. However, I will continue working on it on my winter break and next summer (when I'm not working).

I'm going to plow through school and get awesome grades. I want to be a better student, and I'll work my ass off for that. I worked in a grass-seed plant this summer (until a severe allergic reaction caused an ER visit to the hospital), and I now see how important it is to get a good education. (FYI: I was told by my co-workers and my boss that I was a great, hard, and reliable worker).

Besides, my best friend is coming back from basic (he's now a soldier), and I want to have at least a week's worth of classwork and homework out of the way so that I can spend some time with him (after he spends some time with his family, of course).

To everyone who has been following this project and has seen how much it has changed when I started it 2 years ago, I thank you for your continued interest and support for this project. It's what keeps me going.

Until next time:
Stay Tuned and Stay Frosty!

Here is the final version of the Exosuit Mecha. I was going to put UV textures on him to give a more realistic look, but I screwed up when I finished the modeling and detailing.

Lesson learned: UV should be done before I finish the details and modeling.

All the other models will have UV textures, so it doesn't matter if this Mecha doesn't have UV textures.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Puppet Putty

Puppet Putty is formulated by clay animator Don Carlson. Properties include colors that do not bleed on your hands, a matte finish, cleans up with water, is very light weight, firm, non-greasy and has a silky texture.

MESSAGE BOARD QUICK LINKS

Message Board

Aardman Cracking Animation Book Question

Started by Michael in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by Don Carlson 20 hours ago. 11 Replies

First of all this book has a lot of great info, two thumbs up to the authors.My question is I see something called maxi-plast rubber and Plastazote what are these two items?  Since the book is from England, maybe it is something they only have…Continue

Fingerprints in Newplast

Started by Dave Hughes in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by Don Carlson yesterday. 1 Reply

Hi all, I'm new on here and just getting into animation. Got my interest from my 9 year old who makes little Lego movies. I'm more interested in claymation and other forms of stop motion. I've been playing around with some Newplast but having…Continue

Suggest a Title for Mr. Clay's Next Episode!

Started by StampMotionStudio in STORY. Last reply by StampMotionStudio yesterday. 8 Replies

Hello all,I'm Stamp, the creator of the Mr. Clay series, you can watch the episodes here:…Continue

Tags: Title, Suggest, Motion, Stop, Clay

New Film 'Uncle Antlers' campaign

Started by Carla Veldman in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT on Saturday. 0 Replies

Hey all,I'm working on a new short film called Uncle Antlers, which, while not primarily stop-motion like my past films (https://vimeo.com/11362592), contains elements of it and I'm animating it traditionally…Continue

The Story of Percival Pilts

Started by John Lewis in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by Lemz Media on Friday. 30 Replies

Hello All. Janette Goodey and I have been working for a few years on this little film.  The film is finally finished, and our trailer is up.  https://vimeo.com/116135030Visit our …Continue

Film Festival Results

Started by Keith Mullin in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by Keith Mullin on Thursday. 2 Replies

On Thursday night we had the "Best of Festival" screening and awards ceremony for a film festival that I did a stop animation for.  My film "Percipient" was selected for the Best of Fest screening and nominated for a pile of awards.  I ended up…Continue

Photos

Loading…

Events

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

Members

© 2015   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}