I'm making my first character on my own, so I'll post my experiments here.  This is a test to see how well I will be able to integrate a stop motion character into a live action film.  For my first exprience I decided to use clay, because I like how it looks and it's something that's easier to understand.  I know that clay is particularly difficult to animate because one always has to smooth out any changes for each move, but I figured I'd give it a try.  For the armature, I'm following both this tutorial: Stop Motion Tutorial: Making an Armature as well as follwing some instructions from the book "Stop Motion: Craft Skills for Model Animation" by Susannah Shaw--which is a really great book and one I suggest anyone interested in learning stop motion animation purchase.

As a side note: A lot of my posts onto this website will be from my first animation which I'm doing in conjunction with my friend Damon. I wrote the script and am directing, however Damon is a really talented stage desinger and for our animation he's making the sets and characters and I'm assisting him.  So, for this post I'm showing only what it is that I'm doing on my own, this is not the same project as the one shown my previous posts and is not the same project that Damon and I are working on.

Thanks for viewing!

-Cait

Views: 1551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations!! It Looks good!

Thanks Demian!

Well, I got to say it looks by far better than my very first one haha. I love how you put all the pictures all next to each other, to see the progress, and concequently the effort taken all the way up to the design of your head.

Very well done, also not skipping steps as in drawing before getting all in place. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to see what you can come up with!

Thanks Medalmadcat!  I'm hoping to do a test animation this weekend.

Alright, looking forward to see your test. Let's see what you can come up with. Just make sure you dont get too ambitious on the very first time. Of course we all...try not to, and we end up thinking endless possibilities for our new first baby, I suppose it happens to all of us. 
But well, just a thought. Don't get frustrated for not getting ideal results, just feel happy for anything that the puppet allows you to do. There will be more if you consider stop motion as a serious place to be in.

Cait said:

Thanks Medalmadcat!  I'm hoping to do a test animation this weekend.

I started doing a walking test and unfortunately the puppet actually can't stand on one foot!  I had tested the armature and forgot to re-test once I did the sculpt.  So, he can't walk   Any suggestions as to how I might remedy this? What did I do wrong here?  Thanks in advance!

If you're interested, I made a really basic set for testing, using apoxy putty I put together two sticks and then added some fake foliage.  My character is supposed to nervously approach the camera from behind a tree.

yes, standing in one foot is such a hard task for babies!! maybe instead of suggesting baby steps i should suggest.. crawling steps haha..

Now, seriously. I think you still can give it a go if you use a rig. A very basic rig will help you let your puppet stand when is almost impossible. By rig I mean, anything you can design as some sort of stick perhaps that could hold it in place. Of course by capturing the picture you will SEE the rig. Should you not be worry, as long as you plan some post production, you will be capable of removing it with some photoshop tools. 

Alright, it's been a while as I've been busy with the sets for this other animation I'm working on.  In the meantime, I made the first walk cycle test of how this character might move.  It's a little faster than I intended, but I think it's fine for a first run.

Looks great so far! 

Also how much did it cost all together to make the armature/ how hard were the materials to find? I am also going to make an armature!

m_) Bravooooooooooo that was an awesome creepy walking approach ...spooky wise yay!!! 

Cait said:

Alright, it's been a while as I've been busy with the sets for this other animation I'm working on.  In the meantime, I made the first walk cycle test of how this character might move.  It's a little faster than I intended, but I think it's fine for a first run.

Alright, to practice timing and to begin preparation for integrating stop motion with live action, I animated my fish person to a line from "Blazing Saddles" 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Cacá Veirano updated their profile
6 hours ago
GameYan Studio posted a video

Angela - 3D Female Pirate Character Modeling and Rigging Cinematic CGI Animation ShowReel

Female Pirate Girl - 3D Character Modeling and Rigging Animation video -CGI Animated short film Giving attacking pose with Sword on ship. Get our Character M...
10 hours ago
Gamerzone posted a blog post

Wonderkids You Need To Register In FIFA Mobile

Looking to get the tips about the young players available in FIFA's ultra-popular Career style? We…See More
12 hours ago
Youp Zondag posted a discussion

Test shots for new short

After I finished my 4th year thesis film at Ryerson University, I was approached by a filmmaker to…See More
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}