Hello guys.

I know this was discussed probably few times, but I still can't figure it out. Cuz I am not a very tech guy. I need stepper motor slider or even stepper 3axis slider with a head, that I can purchase and connect right away to Dragonframe, without Arduino programing, modifications etc. Like Ditogear has. But not Ditogear)))) What option do you know or even tried? UNPACK, connect CABLES, run DRAGONFRAME and it works))) I found this one DIGISLIDER https://www.digislider.co.uk/collections/digislider-bundles/product...  It says its compatible with Dragonframe.  

EMOTIMO I don't know why, but I can't load to the online store and I am not sure, do they have a 2meter stepper motor slider? What you can advice?

Thank you guys

Views: 332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the Ashanks slider better, because the bearing are wider. They might be adjustable too. The other one, Yimidear, that I did suggest previously, looks like the bearings are not adjustable at all.

If you go for the Ashanks one, there is another advantage, which is that you can fit a belt drive in the middle. Have a look at Edu Puertas' video again, and you will see that is what he has done. I linked to it in an earlier post.

You will also need this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snowsun-Pack-Of-2-Aluminum-GT2-16T-Pulle...

Check that the shaft of your stepper motor fits the pulleys! 

This is a pic of the motor on my small slider rig, with the pulley and belt. Here's a link to the motor. This one is a 5:1:

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/geared-stepper-motor/nema-17-step...

michelangelo said:

More on drivers.... you can get Nema 23 low amperage motors, which means they can operate with the smaller drivers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-Current-1-8A-2-4Nm-340oz-in-Nema-23-S...

if you use a low reduction ratio: 100: 1 or even 41: 1, etc.
you will spend a lot of time trying the movement and having a perception of the final movement, it's clear that you can not get the live movement.
If going from the beginning and end position to a long time, the preparation of the scene will be challenging and too long. It takes a compromise
or the ability to vary the engine speed at least to set start and end of movement. My company bought a motion control Kessler who unfortunately did not communicate with Dragonframe, this item is in my work and I want to copy her best items. He is done very well but is absurd that he can not communicate with Dragon. I wrote both to Kessler and Dragon, Kessler refuses to interact with dragon! I think in Kessler there are no stepper motors but direct current. In the next few days I open it and show you pictures

Cinedrive Kessler

Hi there.

Both the Ashanks and the ANJ sliders look pretty good. They are designed for live-action and time-lapse work, so I assume they have a stepper motor to do the incremental steps. It may be that the Kessler is not using steppers, so that is why it won't interact with DF.

But it seems to me that if you go down this route, you can always swap out the motor for a stepper, then connect it to an Arduino and drivers of your own and control it from DF.

There is always the issue of the other axes, which is where you started. What about focus and pan and tilt? These require something to be constructed on top of the slider and cannot be controlled by the slider box, which has only one channel.

Regarding speed: You need the speeds to be low for safety. It is quite possible for the rig to damage itself or your camera or set if it travels too far, so slow reset speeds are good. The only one that is a bit slow for me is the tracking with the leadscrew. The others are all fine, and I would not want them faster. So my motors at 27:1 are great, even when they have a further reduction on the arm.

Dragonframe has a 'move axes to start position' command, which lets the different axes move at the same time to bring the rig to the position ready to start the shot. The speed of this is set by the jog speed in the Configure Axis dialog box, so you do have some control over what speed it moves at. Too fast is not good, believe me!

maybe it is better the track has the most distant guides and the floor is more stable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N56ODST/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_03_04_t_img_...

I think I like this one the best of all, as you can see in the picture that it is possible to adjust the bearings so they are tight against the rails. Carbon fibre is good, but stainless steel is also fine for the rails. Also seems very good value. 

Look at this: an ad on Amazon UK for the same type of slider

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer®-17-5lbs-Capacity-Stabilizing-Photograph/dp/B019F64ZQ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511889243&sr=8-3&keywords=Neewer+carbon+fibre+slider+dolly

The difference is that the Italian one has two extra adjustable bearings on the dolly. I suspect the UK version has problem in the middle of the rails, hence the modification.

Supporting the slider is also an issue, as it needs to be solidly raised above the floor to the height of the animating table. A table is good but bulky, maybe some tough stands are better, possibly the sort that are used for woodworking.

michelangelo said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}