Thought I'd post a shot of my new sculpt. I will get a newer shot up this week. After some feedback from Bill Stout, I am changing the very heavy spine texture, and taking the heavier thigh scales, which were only the roughest indication, out of there.

I had thought that based on Knight's agathaumus that heavier textures might be an acceptable interpretation. However, I am going more with the heavy wrinkled skin with some scales.

Best,

Rick

Views: 829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I actually only had a couple tools with me when I did this, and no rakes. I just used a bit of plastic wrap to soften the indenting as I tried to cut in main wrinkles, then added the lighter wrinkles that break across the main pattern. I also used a rubber tool to just edge in a bit for some smaller indents or pushing some shapes a little more. Then I went back and varied the depth a little based on what I thought seemed natural. After that added some additional skinfolds where the leg joins the body. (you will see that when I shoot some more shots when I go back in tomorrow evening.

Here's the updated photos....mainly reworked the heavier scales out of there, and worked a bit to start matching the opposite side. With the term ending, and much grading to do, and a few vacation days, I may not get back to working on this right away. But I plan to finish it and perhaps sells casts of it.

You mean it is'nt finished yet?It looks fantastic as is!I am ashamed of my sculpting skills in comparission.I need to play with clay more.

......well here's the other side....

Rick,is this a project for yourself,a client or are you sculpting this to make resin casts and a kit from?Just curious.

It's just for me.....I was demonstrating how to make a maquette for an animal anatomy class.....and I would like to make some casts and hopefully sell them.....

I think dino fans would definately "buy".What's the scale/how big is it if you don't mind me asking?It reminds me of a Haryhausen dinosaur from....1 Million years B.C.

that texture looks awesome 

Thanks. He's about 11" long.

A proper Monoclonius. Everyone gets better results with Sculpy than I do.  Very cool!

I have sculpted a characters body using super sculpey with a couple areas that ended up being half an inch thick. I still need to bake it and I was wondering how do you know when the super ssculpey has been baking long enough? Sorry, I am pretty new at this and have sculpted a few characters, but have not baked them yet.

Hi John- Thanks!  and I've seen your sculpts, so I have no idea what you mean...

Corey- Well, I do about an hour at 100 degrees if memory serves me correctly. It will always feel a bit soft while it is warm, so you have to let it cool to see how hard it really is.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Ethan Bartholomae replied to Pete Pipkins's discussion Canon 250D problem
"It's likely that the 250D is too new of a camera for Stop Motion Pro to support. I had the…"
14 hours ago
Pete Pipkins posted a discussion

Canon 250D problem

Hi AllI'm trying to connect a Canon EOS 250D to Stop Motion Pro Eclipse.I'm connecting via the USB…See More
16 hours ago
Ben Owora posted photos
20 hours ago
Ben Owora replied to Count Croc's discussion Materials for a stone wall
"I've often used expanded polystyrene to create rock structures of all types. You can build…"
20 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}